Trekking Pole Recommendations?

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
Hello,
I've been using a pair of Carbon Fiber Sherpa Lite Poles by Leki for the past couple seasons. Good poles, but the clasps are plastic & tend to break which is no good in the backcountry. I'm wondering if you guys have any recommendations on a new set of poles? Ideally I'd like carbon fiber poles, no cork grip, & steel/metal clasps so I don't have to deal with broken clasps in the mountains. Thank you guys & god bless
CJ

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
My komperdell poles fit that but they’re seven years old. Current models have a different looking clasp that what mine have, zero issues with mine but zero experience with the new design.

Clasps that let you lengthen / shorten or clasps that let you combine the two separate poles together ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ole17

FNG
Check out the black diamond distance carbon z. They don't use clasps, you just order the proper size. They're super slick and very durable.

OP
G

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
Clasps that let you lengthen / shorten or clasps that let you combine the two separate poles together ?

the poles I have allow you to loosen the clasp to lengthen/ shorten the pole, seems to work well

the poles I have allow you to loosen the clasp to lengthen/ shorten the pole, seems to work well

Ok gotcha now.

I use the Black Diamond alpine carbon cork. They haven’t let me down going on I think 7 years now.

Solid

I dont know the exact model but I would definitely look at leki poles. I have had mine for 4 years and they have been through a lot and are still going strong.

inkedspot

FNG
Hello,
I've been using a pair of Carbon Fiber Sherpa Lite Poles by Leki for the past couple seasons. Good poles, but the clasps are plastic & tend to break which is no good in the backcountry. I'm wondering if you guys have any recommendations on a new set of poles? Ideally I'd like carbon fiber poles, no cork grip, & steel/metal clasps so I don't have to deal with broken clasps in the mountains. Thank you guys & god bless
CJ
I use the Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork.

Out of curiosity why the no cork grip? As an alternative my backup pair is the Black Diamond Trail that I got on a big discount sale.

I use 2 sets LEKI. I have a set of aluminum and a set of lighter ones. I have had them long enough not to remember the models. I put those Wiser attachments that connect the sticks for turning them into shooting sticks. I‘m a big boy and they have held up.

Koyote

FNG
I second the carbon cascade mountain tech poles. Have used mine for a couple years, skiing, backpacking, hunting, packing elk and moose, etc. Can't beat the price either

dtrkyman

WKR
Mountain Smith poles are twist lock, cork handles though, hockey tape around the handle maybe?

JohnnyB

WKR
Been using the Costco Cascades for the past six years without issue. Not sure what spending more money would get me in a trekking pole so I haven’t even looked at upgrading.

Decker9

WKR
After my second set of broken FLZ’s, BD sent me some alpine carbon corks for replacement.

Night and day difference between the two. “The FLZ’s aren’t meant for serious hiking” is what BD told me.

I personally prefer a beefier pole, really helps with knocking snow off branches and to push shrub / brush out of my way.

Highly recommend, though they do have cork handles.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
I got a pair of triple-layer carbon Cascades from Amazon for $46 at the time. They worked great for me on my hunt and I cannot imagine the pack-out without them. Would buy again.