Trekking Poles as Bipod

Short on cache

Lil-Rokslider
So, Im thinking that if I had a rubber coupling that connected to both of my trekking poles I could cross them and use them as a bipod to shoot off of. I feel sure that something like that is manufactured or one of you guys have figured out how to make so I thought I would start here. Any suggestions?

Can also just hold them with your off hand. I have done this many times and it works quite well, just ensure that the points aren't going to slip if you load them up with pressure.

Carlin59

WKR
You can slip each pole in the wrist-strap of the other pole. That will help keep them oriented/together in a pinch. I do this quite a bit for shooting from a seated/kneeling position. Or just grab the sticks where they cross with your thumb and middle finger, and use your index finger to control the forearm of your rifle. That works fine too and is really fast.

Hungarydog

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a short piece of strap with a buckle that I clip at the base of the handles. Then when the tips are spread it cinches down creating a solid rest.

One other benefit of using trekking poles over a large bi-pod is that you can also use them as a rear rest. For example if you have a great low branch or stump you can use to hold the front of the rifle. You can, if you have time, get really solid by using the trekking poles under the butt of the rifle.

This is obviously not a quick setup but can be done in 15-20 seconds if you practice it a bit and works great if you are in an ambush situation.

OP
S

Short on cache

Lil-Rokslider
Im going to try some of those ideas and see what works for me. Thanks for the ideas guys!

Backpack Hunter! Great idea buddy!

I had to go grab my sticks and try it right after I ready your post. Works perfectly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a Velcro cable tie. Keep the Velcro around one handle for quick access. I also have a rubber buckle type thing made just for connecting them.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, I swear by this little gizmo and it is so simple, it's stupid.....................You can use it on a trekking pole or a tripod which is what I do.
I keep it with me at all times in my bino pouch so if I need to make a quick shot, I can just throw it on a trekking pole or if it is a long range shot, I put it on my tripod. Watch the videos...................

Gun Accessories & Hunting Equipment - Sargent Sniper Rest
Randy

GKPrice

Banned
Home Depot sells "wraps" that are soft coated with some kind of tough yet pliable wire inside that work perfect for this - they come in pairs, I use the longest one (there are several sizes) and just wrap one around one of my trekking sticks and unwind it when needed and wrap it back around both - Cheap Fast Secure Comes in orange as well as other colors

colonel00

WKR
Home Depot sells "wraps" that are soft coated with some kind of tough yet pliable wire inside that work perfect for this - they come in pairs, I use the longest one (there are several sizes) and just wrap one around one of my trekking sticks and unwind it when needed and wrap it back around both - Cheap Fast Secure Comes in orange as well as other colors

I believe you are talking about these things:

Gear Tie ProPack

carlc

Lil-Rokslider
How about a rubber band?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I made my wife stop making dinner and take a couple pictures real quick. Heres how my brother and I have been using our hiking sticks to shoot off of for years.

9577b31135cd13405c4bf69aff16feb1.jpg

87142a821dc79b63bc1ade51105f309b.jpg

79264f9829e55e2ba257b5dafa34e086.jpg