Trekking Poles

njdoxie

WKR
I never leave camp without them, I use them uphill, downhill and sidehill, I love them but YMMV, they’re not for everyone. I can’t remember the brand, they’re aluminum fliplocks. They’re always in my hand unless I’m stalking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnOyster

WKR
I used to live by the phrase "get tougher" but now in my late 40's I constantly remind myself "get smarter" and man trekking poles are something I started using 2 years ago and ill never go to the mountains without them, they really make a difference especially going up hill.

never leave the truck without them anymore. Black diamond carbon cork have lasted me 6 years so far, could not be happier. bought the Costco carbon ones for my wife a couple years ago and they seem like a great value. she's quite happy with them.

fwafwow

WKR
Following for updates. For those who have the BD, which models are you using? The BD website is somewhat confusing, at least to me. FWIW, I'm also trying to keep an eye on weight

Teejay68

FNG
I have black diamond trail ergo cork and a couple pair of the Costco trekking poles. The black diamonds we just under a hundred bucks and I find myself being careful with them. The Costco ones are of similar quality and very inexpensive, but I use them more effectively knowing that they were not the expensive. Either way, they are a game changer for 50+ year olds.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
I have black diamond trail ergo cork and a couple pair of the Costco trekking poles. The black diamonds we just under a hundred bucks and I find myself being careful with them. The Costco ones are of similar quality and very inexpensive, but I use them more effectively knowing that they were not the expensive. Either way, they are a game changer for 50+ year olds.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks! The Cadcade Mountain Tech 3k actually weigh a bit less too!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
FB_IMG_1539621082729.jpg

That's my daughter shooting off of my poles. Just one of the many handy things I used them for.

Mine are 15 year old Komperdell twist lock with 100% reliability.

md126

WKR
Ski poles????? Lets just say ski poles are not trekking poles..

Anyway, I use the adjustable poles from Cascade Mtn. Great poles and a worthy investment for under $40

I second the black diamond recommendation

Do not get the Leki Carbon Vario......one of mine snapped in the rocks on a couple of steps into packing out an animal. Made the climb down to lower country tricky with only 1 pole!

fwafwow

WKR
Ski poles????? Lets just say ski poles are not trekking poles..

Anyway, I use the adjustable poles from Cascade Mtn. Great poles and a worthy investment for under $40
Are the 3ks ski poles?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

NewGuy

FNG
I always use trekking poles when hiking, even trail hiking. I recommend them. Lots of good ones available, I like cork grips and removable octopus heads so I can get away from the points if I do not need to use them.

View attachment 90156
Those octopus heads are awesome. Never knew those existed.

Last edited:

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
Love my lekki corklites...never go without them. Use them for various tasks, packing in & out, setting up tarp, resting binos on them...

For your use get the cascade Poles for 35$ or whatever they are priced at

Do not get twist lock poles. They are not strong enough if you actually start beating on them. They will start to slip.

The Leki micro varial Ti poles or whatever they are called are the strongest poles for a decent price that get compact.