Trekking Poles

WVGunner

FNG
I also use the cascade sticks but I prefer just one. Using both for me in the mountains was too much. With one I can side hill either way just switch hands, can cross dead fall and help balance on slick downhills. Plus I use it as a monopod rest. If one breaks I have the other back at camp.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Last few years I have used Yukon Charlies. Well made, not that expensive and get the job done,

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
Black diamond for me. Thought they were a waist until going downhill or walking down logs across streams. That’s where they are worth their weight in gold with a heavy pack on your back.

madmoose

FNG
When I was younger and I saw people hiking with trekking poles I would shake my head (especially level country). Recently I've seen and read a that a lot of guys swear by them, especially when packing out game. Now that I'm in my 60's I'm paying attention. Does anyone have recommendations to bring out west for elk/muley hunts?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Highly recommend. Cork handles a must. Collapsible also. Mine have a shock system inside (Leki), wifes are the same except shock system( black diamond).
We both swear up and down by them. Used them the past 5 years.

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR
Thank you. I picked up a pair of cork bd's on sale.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Borrowed the wife's ski poles last year, didnt do a darn thing for me. Useless extra weight, pain in the a$$ to carry. Never bringing again. I was told it was like having 4 wheel drive but it was more like pulling a trailer. Imo
What did you expect? You took the wrong kind of poles

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I bought a set of REI Traverse trekking poles with cork handles about 4 years ago. My boss used to laugh and call them sissy sticks. We went on a late season hunt last year and I loaned him one of mine to help balance going through drifts and side hills. Guess who bought his own set? Lol. He had that look on his face like he knew he was gonna have to eat a lot of crow.

Like the OP, they looked pussyfied to me. Until I did my first "long" packout. I bought a pair from REI that are just as good as the name brand stuff for alot less. Carbon and very light. I don't go to the Backcountry without them now.

In for the replies. Is it worth dropping a decent amount of cash on these? Or can you get by with a modest priced set?

In for the replies. Is it worth dropping a decent amount of cash on these? Or can you get by with a modest priced set?
I wouldn’t cheap out on them. If you carry them, worth really relying on them. The cheap ones can become more of a liability than asset. On the wrong hillside, if you put a little to much weight on them than you should and it snaps, could be a long way down. That being said, cheap doesn’t always mean weak, typically strong and light equal expensive, can get strong and heavy for cheaper. Just make sure they are strong, and think about what you might be trusting with them. Just my 2 cents.

Something about twist lock makes me nervous. I like the reliability of the flip locks myself. If you are into podcasts, one the gritty podcast with Ryan Lampers (I believe) they talk about poles.

Highly recommend. Cork handles a must. Collapsible also. Mine have a shock system inside (Leki), wifes are the same except shock system( black diamond).
We both swear up and down by them. Used them the past 5 years.

Curious as to why cork handles are a must? I know nothing about trekking poles, so just kinda tagging along here.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Curious as to why cork handles are a must? I know nothing about trekking poles, so just kinda tagging along here.
Rubber grips slip when they get sweaty, foam grips get torn and absorb water and smells, cork is a consistent grip, doesn't feel cold, doesn't get real hot... just a good all around choice.

madmoose

FNG
Lighter by nature, not slippery either by sweat or rainy conditions and alot softer feel considering if your barehanding them

KGParker

FNG
When I was younger and I saw people hiking with trekking poles I would shake my head (especially level country). Recently I've seen and read a that a lot of guys swear by them, especially when packing out game. Now that I'm in my 60's I'm paying attention. Does anyone have recommendations to bring out west for elk/muley hunts?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
I used to laugh at others also, now I have a pair and will never go back to not using them!

dakotaduner

Lil-Rokslider
Only thing I can add is that 2 years ago. My hunting partner and I had all 4 of our poles sitting outside
of our camper one night. Some critter through the night took a liking to his cork grips and chewed them up
bad. I had the rubber grips and they were not touched.

Only thing I can add is that 2 years ago. My hunting partner and I had all 4 of our poles sitting outside
of our camper one night. Some critter through the night took a liking to his cork grips and chewed them up
bad. I had the rubber grips and they were not touched.

See, even the critters like cork better than rubber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk