Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44mm Field Eval Q&A

clperry

Lil-Rokslider
I’m glad the scope did well. Gives me hope and another option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prm

WKR
Glad I’m not the only one wondering how 8 vs. 10 would be an issue. At least for hunting. One less thing I need to worry about! Wish I had the opportunity to shoot for fun where I could apply that though.

BjornF16

WKR
Most rifles get to 1000 yards in less than 8 mil. Most people don't, can't and shouldn't shoot past 1000 yards. Seems like a non issue.
Maybe in the thinner air in Idaho that may be true…but here at sea level, my 6.5CM hits 8 mils at around 850 yards. Range goes out to 1265 yds…why shouldn’t I shoot to that range?

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Maybe in the thinner air in Idaho that may be true…but here at sea level, my 6.5CM hits 8 mils at around 850 yards. Range goes out to 1265 yds…why shouldn’t I shoot to that range?
I'm saying the gross majority of hunters shouldn't shoot animals at ranges requiring more than 8mils. If your shooting targets at a range it seems like a pretty small gripe having to take the time to add some number plus 8.

My condolences to all the people needing to take a shoe off for that math. They would have a legitimate gripe.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I'm saying the gross majority of hunters shouldn't shoot animals at ranges requiring more than 8mils. If your shooting targets at a range it seems like a pretty small gripe having to take the time to add some number plus 8.

My condolences to all the people needing to take a shoe off for that math. They would have a legitimate gripe.
Dude! I went to school in North Idaho. I have to take both shoes and my pants off to count to four.

Rob5589

WKR
When I shot PRS type matches 10 seemed ideal as the action can be fast and the distances varied. For hunting at say 600 and under it's a nothing burger if it's 5 or 8 or 10 per rev.

BjornF16

WKR

Fair enough…my personal hunting range limit is 600 yards…but, unfortunately, I spend more time at the range than I do hunting. I do want to extend my limit out further.

I used to scoff at the comments about 5/10 mil rotations as well…until I was shooting two guns with different scopes back to back. I prefer the 5/10.

Thankfully, I kept my shoes on…lol

ChrisAU

WKR
It's a deeper dive than that. Yes, the springs are important, but what material did they spec for the erector tube, adjustment screw, bearing surfaces, diameter of the erector (8 MIL verse 10 may tell you something) etc. What shape/size is the bearing surface, and did they specify a surface finish.

It's amazing how different the internals can be for something that looks like the same design.

Jeremy

I wish I knew more about internal workings of scopes. I need to read up. So lets say all things are equal in a design save 8 MIL per rev vs 10 MIL. I'm guessing the more coarse adjustment can be more conducive to being more robust? Larger surface areas and parts?

BjornF16

WKR
I wish I knew more about internal workings of scopes. I need to read up. So lets say all things are equal in a design save 8 MIL per rev vs 10 MIL. I'm guessing the more coarse adjustment can be more conducive to being more robust? Larger surface areas and parts?
Well...that's an interesting thought.

The SWFA 3-9 and 3-15 are 5 mil revolutions; however, the SWFA 5-20 is 10 mil revolution. They've all been listed as reliable by scope evaluators...

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

I do not know the answer to that.

prm

WKR
With any advancement of a system, consumers evolve to expect more detailed information. There are better mouse traps, and once consumers realize that they want the better version.
In motocross bikes it used to be fine to simply have shocks. Now riders want to know the shock valving, shaft diameter, coatings, etc. Marketing caters to that. Where any helmet was adequate, now racers (some) want to know how they are addressing slow, medium, and fast impacts and how the helmet handles rotation. Products evolve to meet expectations of the consumer, consumers expectation goes up, they cycle continues.
I predict scope companies will eventually have to lift the veil on internals. First people will want to know more details of testing. Then the solution will become the selling point. It always evolves.

BjornF16

WKR
@Formidilosus (and anyone else who might know)

Regarding reticle cant, I’ve read where different scope makers have differing specs on allowable reticle cant. For example, I’ve read NF allows 0.5 degree maximum while Leupold allows 3 degrees.

Do you know any of these specs amongst the various scope “sellers”?

Also, say you have a reticle canted 3 degrees…more important to true the reticle to level action or true the scope body? (I’m assuming the reticle follows the path of erector system that is hopefully trued to body).

Is this also part of tall target test?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Also, say you have a reticle canted 3 degrees…more important to true the reticle to level action or true the scope body? (I’m assuming the reticle follows the path of erector system that is hopefully trued to body).

That depends on whether you are dialing or holding. 3° is a problem, .5° is not. The easy answer is don’t use scopes with canted reticles…. However, if dialing- plum to the turret; if holding- plum to the reticle.

Is this also part of tall target test?

It will be noticed during mounting if reticle is canted more than about 1°.

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, @Tanya Avery is private Skool edumicated and she tells me all about my grammar issues. BUT when it comes to dialing, I might help her a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha! He’s the king of wind calls AND he keeps me warm with all of his fuzzy wussy-ness ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro