Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44mm Field Eval Q&A

Is the allure of this scope the 6oz savings, full reticle illumination, and a better zero stop compared to the SHV F1?
For me the interest in mid power scopes is.

Want more power then a 2.5-10 shv or nxs offers.
I really like a 42-44mm objective, I have a few rifles that a 50mm just seems to dwarf the rifle and I don't think I need the bulk.

Better reticles.

Lighter weight is a distant last.

sndmn11

WKR

I really like a 42-44mm objective, I have a few rifles that a 50mm just seems to dwarf the rifle and I don't think I need the bulk.

Better reticles.

I'll buy that, I think when I looked this scope up for a price I saw $1600-1800.

Rhetorically, why would one choose this over the LRHS2 or Optika 6 that are a little to a lot less expensive?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'll buy that, I think when I looked this scope up for a price I saw $1600-1800.

Rhetorically, why would one choose this over the LRHS2 or Optika 6 that are a little to a lot less expensive?

Well as far as that goes, why buy anything but a Nightforce?

For me, the 4.5-18x LRHS (2) isn’t my favorite scope, I prefer the reticle in the Tenmile, and while the LRHS is usually good, I have historically seen more issues with LRHS/LRTS than Trijicon. Granted, the Tenmile and Credo are new, but…

As for the Optika 6, while the one that I have shot lasted a couple thousand rounds before failing, it still failed, and I haven’t seen anything from Meopta variable scopes that give me an indication that they are truly robust. The Optika 6 may be, unfortunately no one seems to want to actually use them to find out. One person used a 1-6x version and it failed rather quickly.

That was kind of my point with the first question, that prompted the answer I asked my follow up to.
Look how popular vx5,vx6 are in 3-15 and 3-18 and I have zero interest in them.

For me it really a bunch of rhetorical questions where I feel 10x falls short. Even tho I know it doesn't.
And bulk, alot of it is just bulk for me. I have a couple light and fast shorter rifle.

But mostly I think its perceived value.
Like a 4-32 nx8 I've seen comments guys think there getting a rifle mounted spotting scope in addition to a rifle scope.
If you had 2 scopes exactly the same but one had a higher zoom ratio. The perceived value would be higher, Even if the additional zoom power had no practical effect on hitting the intended target.

BjornF16

WKR

Better reticles.

I'm liking the Credo 2-10x36 FFP...and I'm watching this Tenmile eval with great interest.

I wish the Credo 2-10 was x42 though...even better would be 3-12x42.

Trijicon, you listening?

Lawnboi

WKR
Look how popular vx5,vx6 are in 3-15 and 3-18 and I have zero interest in them.

For me it really a bunch of rhetorical questions where I feel 10x falls short. Even tho I know it doesn't.
And bulk, alot of it is just bulk for me. I have a couple light and fast shorter rifle.

But mostly I think its perceived value.
Like a 4-32 nx8 I've seen comments guys think there getting a rifle mounted spotting scope in addition to a rifle scope.
If you had 2 scopes exactly the same but one had a higher zoom ratio. The perceived value would be higher, Even if the additional zoom power had no practical effect on hitting the intended target.
Great way to ID does and make sure they are not spikes. 3” of antler is awful hard to distinguish at 300 yards on a dry prairie. Shoot it can be hard at 100…. Don’t ask how I know.

Great way to ID does and make sure they are not spikes. 3” of antler is awful hard to distinguish at 300 yards on a dry prairie. Shoot it can be hard at 100…. Don’t ask how I know.
See that's not a thing where im at.
There's really no value it that for me.

But the point i was making is why people are drawn to it even if they don't need

Dobermann

WKR
Well as far as that goes, why buy anything but a Nightforce?

For me, the 4.5-18x LRHS (2) isn’t my favorite scope, I prefer the reticle in the Tenmile, and while the LRHS is usually good, I have historically seen more issues with LRHS/LRTS than Trijicon. Granted, the Tenmile and Credo are new, but…

As for the Optika 6, while the one that I have shot lasted a couple thousand rounds before failing, it still failed, and I haven’t seen anything from Meopta variable scopes that give me an indication that they are truly robust. The Optika 6 may be, unfortunately no one seems to want to actually use them to find out. One person used a 1-6x version and it failed rather quickly.
Good to know!

How's this looking so far as a contender for your criteria in the Missing Rifle Scope Features thread? (https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/missing-rifle-scope-features.236873/#post-2302734)

For example:
  • What are your thoughts about the 6x erector?
  • Does 18x at the top end knock it out of contention as your current preference for a 'field' option (if there's nothing else that completely hits all of your preferences), or is it just extra mag that you won't use?
  • Does .6 oz over the sub 24 oz matter to you?
  • Given that we probably won't have @THLR's reticle any time soon, and you prefer one to the LRHS 2, is this the frontrunner so far?

And so on ...

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Good to know!

How's this looking so far as a contender for your criteria in the Missing Rifle Scope Features thread? (https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/missing-rifle-scope-features.236873/#post-2302734)

For example:
  • What are your thoughts about the 6x erector?

It’s fine, but as a 4x or 5x ratio could be better in a couple of areas.

• Does 18x at the top end knock it out of contention as your current preference for a 'field' option (if there's nothing else that completely hits all of your preferences), or is it just extra mag that you won't use?

18x is fine. I mean if a scope could be on the lighter side, extremely reliable, and great eyebox in a 3-18x, it’s probably ideal.

• Does .6 oz over the sub 24 oz matter to you?

No.

• Given that we probably won't have @THLR's reticle any time soon, and you prefer one to the LRHS 2, is this the frontrunner so far?

And so on ...

No. For me of what’s available, the 3-9x SWFA is still the best general hunting scope from contact to 600+ yards. Of all the new scopes, IF (and it’s a big if), the 3-18x Tenmile proves reliable, it would be the high mag ratio scope I would choose over the others so far.

Curious why you prefer the reticle in the Tenmile? The G2H seems to check a lot of boxes for use at low power vs the massive amount of windage and holdover in the MRAD Precision Tree.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Curious why you prefer the reticle in the Tenmile? The G2H seems to check a lot of boxes for use at low power vs the massive amount of windage and holdover in the MRAD Precision Tree.

For me, I dislike donuts with a passion, I prefer a center dot, and I do not like the lopsided/uneven tick marks.

Now, all of that is nitpicking preferences, and if the scope is reliable, then it’s certainly usable and would be a good choice.

For me, I dislike donuts with a passion, I prefer a center dot, and I do not like the lopsided/uneven tick marks.

Now, all of that is nitpicking preferences, and if the scope is reliable, then it’s certainly usable and would be a good choice.

Fair, I do find the one sided ticks on the vertical pretty dumb. Other than that, though, l love the reticle.