Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44mm Field Eval Q&A

Jimbee

WKR
@Formidilosus (and anyone else who might know)

Regarding reticle cant, I’ve read where different scope makers have differing specs on allowable reticle cant. For example, I’ve read NF allows 0.5 degree maximum while Leupold allows 3 degrees.

Do you know any of these specs amongst the various scope “sellers”?

Also, say you have a reticle canted 3 degrees…more important to true the reticle to level action or true the scope body? (I’m assuming the reticle follows the path of erector system that is hopefully trued to body).

Is this also part of tall target test?
What's a tall target test?

Wapiti1

WKR
I wish I knew more about internal workings of scopes. I need to read up. So lets say all things are equal in a design save 8 MIL per rev vs 10 MIL. I'm guessing the more coarse adjustment can be more conducive to being more robust? Larger surface areas and parts?
If all things were equal except the screw threads on the turrets, then they would/should behave the same other than the number of turns you have to use on the dials. The turret post isn't connected to the erector tube, it just pushes on it. For the thread alone to be the issue, you would need the turret to actually break. This is if everything else is truly identical.

In a hypothetical for instance, the 8 MIL choice might be a design compromise where they used stouter springs and the 10 MIL thread created some issue with binding or turret feel. It might also be meaningless and Trijicon just wants to do it their way.

Jeremy

I'm saying the gross majority of hunters shouldn't shoot animals at ranges requiring more than 8mils. If your shooting targets at a range it seems like a pretty small gripe having to take the time to add some number plus 8.

My condolences to all the people needing to take a shoe off for that math. They would have a legitimate gripe.

It's not really a matter of being able to do the math; it's more a matter of fact that its just easier to do 5 mil per rev or 10 mil per rev in a mil based system in which everything is divisible by 10. And, you could well be right in that most people don't really have a need for more than 8 mil on a flatish shooting big game rig, but keep in mind that a lot of people use scopes for applications where a lot of mils are required to reach much closer distances.

If I loved everything about the scope, 8 mil per rev wouldn't be a deal breaker, but I'd really rather have it be 5 or 10.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
but keep in mind that a lot of people use scopes for applications where a lot of mils are required to reach close distances.

I forgot about all the medium range 30-30 hunters! Add them to the people needing to take a shoe off for complex math on my apology list.

Last edited:
I forgot about all the medium range 30-30 hunters! Add them to the people needing to take a shoe off for complex math on my apology list.
Well, I have a long range ML set up that can eat up multiple spins. Likewise, I know guys who hunt deer in states in which straight wall cartridges and or 35 caliber and over are the only center fires allowed. There's also rimfires and air rifles that guys like to take as far as they can.

Dobermann

WKR
It's like $200 retail, I have just been wondering the "why" of all the random scope requests in the what should be tested thread.
I've been wondering that too ...

That's why, when I started the thread, I asked people to give some context as to why.

If it's just a laundry list of 100 scopes, it's not going to happen.

If it's just a list of scopes we already own that we're not wanting to test ourselves, that's not in the spirit of the broader idea behind 'test your gear'.

There's also a lot of scopes being listed there that most of us probably wouldn't hunt with.

There's also scopes that clearly fall outside of what most of us, @Formidilosus included, would recommend to hunters (eg SFP / BDC combinations).

With a narrower list of options of things to test, we get a narrower list of things that work. That's when we can clearly see the differences between them, and know exactly what we're comparing, what the trade-offs are, and so on.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I've been wondering that too ...

That's why, when I started the thread, I asked people to give some context as to why.

If it's just a laundry list of 100 scopes, it's not going to happen.

If it's just a list of scopes we already own that we're not wanting to test ourselves, that's not in the spirit of the broader idea behind 'test your gear'.

Well there’s a couple of things. The first and the probably the most honest for most people is they don’t like the idea that there are only few makes/models of scopes that actually work. People want their worldview to be that they are all basically the same. Two, while the 4-32x NF NX8’s issues such as eyebox and sensitive parallax are way overblown (what I see is that people are seeing what they’ve been told to see/want to see), as far as the Trijicon Tenmile goes, if (big IF) they prove to be reliable, the reticle is better for general use than anything NF offers, it’s lighter, the eyebox is a bit better, etc.

There's also a lot of scopes being listed there that most of us probably wouldn't hunt with.

There's also scopes that clearly fall outside of what most of us, @Formidilosus included, would recommend to hunters (eg SFP / BDC combinations).

That is very true as far as what I would recommend, however these types of scopes are square in the realm of what I stated above- people “believe” that scopes are basically all as good as any other, and that brands or models, SFP vs FFP, Mil vs MOA is all about ones preferences and opinion…. Which is total rubbish.

With a narrower list of options of things to test, we get a narrower list of things that work. That's when we can clearly see the differences between them, and know exactly what we're comparing, what the trade-offs are, and so on.

Completely correct. I could name to about a 90% level which scopes will do what, but people won’t accept it or try it for themselves. The focus is on scopes more suited for use out to long range, but I do think it is important to show some normal hunting scopes as well to see what, if anything, these choices may cost someone.

prm

WKR
I think part of it is the vast majority of animals are shot at ranges that do not require dialing or BDC reticles. Features like FFP and dialing are desirable features, but not of value to all, or perhaps even most. Many just need a reliable point and shoot sight. In the narrow list of things that work should (IMO) be a simple, relatively lightweight option, if it exists. Ex: Trijicon Credo 3-9x40. Capped low profile dials, 17oz?
I have a Kimber MT I use for most backcountry elk and mule deer hunts in the Rockies, it’s been to S. Africa for plains game, hunted hogs, and eastern whitetails. Not once have I needed to dial, or even use much magnification. Not that I’m against the longer range hunting, just don’t seem to need it. I do want an absolutely reliable scope. I don’t disagree that FFP, dialing scopes are more capable, but sometimes an individual just wants a simple, reliable option. Since this was all placed in the long range section perhaps I’m wrong to anticipate or suggest that here.

edit: it would be informative to have a better understanding of reliable options. SWFA 3-9 or 6x, NXS 2-10, and what else?

Last edited: