Trijicon Tenmile Dropped Some More

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Summary: I dropped my rifle 27 times from 3' and it's zero was more or less the same.
I don't suggest anything critical with this information. I was going to test my stuff anyway, so just decided to document it.

Details
  • Bighorn Origin short action with 24" skinny barrel (steel)​
  • shooting 6.5Sherman Shortmag​
  • Thunderbeast U7 suppressor​
  • Hatch 36" bipod (left on the rifle during drops)​
  • Epoxy bedded to a Manners EH1. 60 in-lbs and purple loctite on the degreased action screws​
  • Epoxy bedded and pinned 20moa rail. 20 in-lbs and blue loctite on degreased rail screws​
  • Seekins Precision rings. Followed their torque specs, used blue loctite on degreased screws​
  • Trijicon Tenmile 3-18​
  • I had 20 rounds to use​
  • Rifle was recently disassembled and needed to be rezeroed​
  • The "drop pad" was a voodoo tactical double rifle bag with further details below​

Sequence of Events:

1. Fired shots 1, 2, and 3 at bottom-middle. Dialed 0.2MIL RIGHT and waited 5 minutes

2. Fired shots 4, 5, and 6 at top left. Waited 5 minutes

3. Fired shots 7, 8, and 9 at top left. Waited 5 minutes

4. Fired shots 10, 11, and 12 at top left

5. Dropped rifle 9 times at 36" (right side, top side, left side). Failed to get on camera

6. Dropped rifle 9 more times at 36" in same fashion. Captured on camera, but stopped the video accidentally after. (felt it was necessary to capture the drops AND the shots on the same clip)

7. Dropped rifle 9 more times at 36" in same fashion. Kept the camera rolling

8. Fired shots 13, 14, and 15 at top middle. Waited 5 minutes

9. Fired shots 16, 17, and 18 at top middle. Waited 5 minutes

10. Fired shots 19 and 20 at top middle.

I didn't capture the ORDER of the impacts on the top middle target and wish I would have now.
Shots were from prone with bipod and heavy rear bag. Parallax was DILIGENTLY checked before every shot string.

One thing I am interested in doing is redoing the test after using Loctite as a retaining compound between all of the contact surfaces (action & bedding, rail & action, rings & rail, scope & rings)

Being that this is the internet I feel compelled to mention:
  • that I understand statistics really well, and I simply don't care enough to redo anything shooting triple the components and spending triple the time. This was how I did it, feel free to do it differently yourself.
  • I exclusively shoot 3 shot groups with this rifle because I personally don't care what the gun shoots like "hot". I can't fit more than 3 rounds in the gun anyway :)
  • I am willing to post the video(s) if there is any interest at all in seeing it

IMG_E1343.JPG

Drop pad detail:
1706374420560.png

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Nice work.

So, in saying "more or less held" for your use are you considering everything good enough (i.e. the system held) or will you see if it can be improved on?

I think, based on the number of rounds, one could argue it held. I suspect a 30 round group would contain both of those and likely be about 4.5 x 4.5 squares.

OP
S

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
So, in saying "more or less held" for your use are you considering everything good enough (i.e. the system held) or will you see if it can be improved on?
I am meaning that I think there was a slight shift, but to prove it I need larger sample sizes, and even then I cannot possibly know what caused the shift. But to me, yes, I also think its good enough :)

For the sake of argument let's say it DID "lose zero" by 2 clicks left. About all there is left for me to try is to permanently bond things together--and I will not be doing that, even if it means it will fix it.

I suspect a 30 round group would contain both of those and likely be about 4.5 x 4.5 squares
Could be. I have never deliberately shot several "groups" back to back on the same target with the same ammo (always fiddling with handloads ha). Turns out I'm only capable of ±0.1MIL POI every new time I get behind the gun (look at groups 7-9 and then 10-12). Honestly that is more illuminating to me than the results of the dropping.

Last edited: