Trim nailer

For your scenario I'd most likely grab the M18 15ga nailer, 16ga as a compromise. 16ga would work just fine too - heavier nail and slightly larger nail head. The heads on 18ga brads are kind of small for holding shiplap to the walls. Not that 18ga wouldn't work but I generally use the 18ga for fine trim work.

Based on what you have I would go with either a Milwaukee M18 15ga for a cordless set up or a Bostich trim gun that will use 16ga if you go air. I would be using 2" or 2 1/2" nails for what you are doing. Lathe and plaster can be great to nail into or it can really go downhill fast. Good luck.

Even if it's going in a lath and plaster wall ?
18ga is pretty marginal in a sheetrock wall. I wouldn't even consider it with plaster.

16ga deflects more easily than 15ga, and plaster is bad about that.

Maybe I'm a snob, but I don't like "sufficient". I've fixed a lot of stuff that was done sufficiently.

It doesn't take much more money to use the best fasteners possible.

Based on what you have I would go with either a Milwaukee M18 15ga for a cordless set up or a Bostich trim gun that will use 16ga if you go air. I would be using 2" or 2 1/2" nails for what you are doing. Lathe and plaster can be great to nail into or it can really go downhill fast. Good luck.
Great in one spot, a nightmare the next spot!

18ga is pretty marginal in a sheetrock wall. I wouldn't even consider it with plaster.

16ga deflects more easily than 15ga, and plaster is bad about that.

Maybe I'm a snob, but I don't like "sufficient". I've fixed a lot of stuff that was done sufficiently.

It doesn't take much more money to use the best fasteners possible.
Thanks I just bought an m18 15 gauge.

Guy hired me to help him do some electrical work. First night there, there was a Porter-Cable "brad nailer". Second night, it was still lying in the corner of an unfinished office.
We went back to finish on the third night....it was still there. The whole building was wide open and unlocked. "That's going to get stolen!", I thought, so I picked it up to, ahem, protect it from some evil beast or filthy toolophile!
It's been a fantastic little tool on trim and building beehives.
I needed a "T" nailer to put down some baseboard. I hopped on down to my local chain pain shop, picked out a nice little nailer that would shoot up to 2" T-nails. Also a Porter-Cable. A very nice tool! About half price of Home Despot or Lowe's.
Yeah, yeah, yeah! I know! Warranty, etc. But for the price, why not?

You might also consider a "stapler". My youngest bought a "Metabo" that shoots a 1/4" wide staple.
Works great on upholstery and really light stuff.
A good 1/2" wide staple of sufficient length will hold quite well.
Think outside the box!

Even if it's going in a lath and plaster wall ?
You definitely want 15 g for that.

Senco out of the 80s and 90s were the top of the line - now a new 15g has replaced reliable o-rings with a fabric valve on top for no other reason than it fails quickly and costs $85 in parts to fix. My original 15g was used for miles of T&G on ceilings of big vacation homes - it lasted 150,000 nails before a rebuild. My new pos Senco lasted 20k - I fixed it and gave it to a young carp who needed one. I have no love for the brand now. To replace it I picked up a Bostich and they have soft firing pins that don’t last - gave that to another young carp, but they are ok if you don’t anticipate using it professionally.

I found a new old stock Senco out of the 1990 and that was a nice find - it did cost as much as a new one, but is a good investment.

The new Dewalt nail guns are well thought out and seems to have durable firing pins so far - I have the 23, 18 and 16g. The 15g is probably just as capable.

I can drive a nail in harder wood with an air powered gun than by friends who use cordless Dewalts.

15g nails are not all the same - I seem to be able to have fewer bent over nails in hard woods with Senco.

You may have so many bent nails if the plaster is hard, that it’s worth adding wood nailer strips to the surface, or stripping off the plaster completely. You’ll get good at pulling bent over nails with most plaster, especially stuff made with larger sand. Sometimes drilling through the wood with a small drill bit gives the nail a little extra head start to penetrate the plaster, but it’s stupid slow.

Good luck!

Back