Trip from Wisconsin to Montana--need recomendations

I am one week away from a spring bear hunting trip in Idaho. I will be spending a week visiting my daughter at Glacier National Park before going to Idaho. Taking I-90 from Wisconsin-Minnesota-South Dakota-Wyoming and then to Montana. Looking for recomendations on places to stop and see. I am especially looking for some good gun/sporting good stores off I 90 if anyone knows any. Thanks.

chris

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Wall drug?! Maybe I missed all or any of the good stuff. It was a head scratcher for us.

Deadwood gets my vote.

Walmart Greeter

Lil-Rokslider
I once stopped at the Town Pump in Billings and some half drunk dude strolled into the convenience store and said “Town Pump! That’s what they call my ex!”

Having said that, look for the conoco in st regis, there’s a place with all the huckleberry bs and whatnot.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
What everyone else said plus the Stoneville Saloon in Alzada, MT. A drive through the Badlands is cool too. Definitely find a Scheels. If you come back on 94, stop in the HQ store in Fargo. I never miss that. If you're into history, The Little Bighorn (Custers last stand) is right off I90 at HY 212 in MT.

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
Battle of the Little Bighorn National Monument.

Dan Bailey Fly Shop in Livingston.

Berkeley Pit in Butte.

Hallowell and Co in Livingston, but you need to call and make sure the showroom is open. Incredible selection of the finest arms ever made. You can see a $1200 Winchester or a $100,000 Rigby double rifle. Tons of books, old school memorabilia.

Josh Smith Knives in Frenchtown. AKA Montana Knife Co. The Stoned Goat is a great all around field knife, but you do have to know how to sharpen a knife.

Bozeman has Sitka, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch, and Schnees.

Wildrye Distillery in Bozeman, Headframe Spirits in Butte.

Jeremy

Idaboy

WKR
Which way are you coming from MT to Idaho? the Missoula to Salmon drive (Bitterroot Valley) is epic, this time of year with animals heading back from winter grounds you'll see tons of game. If your going the Dillon route, consider Bozeman to W Yellowstone (aka Gallatin Gateway)...those 2 drives are some of the best-selling in the west.

Just before you get to Wall drug, you’ll see it sign for the Badlands. Definitely worth the short detour, it parallels the interstate for a while then comes out at Wall drug. Stop in there for lunch.

If you get in the neighborhood of Red Lodge Montana, look to the south and take the Bear tooth pass over the mountain, towards Cody Wyoming. Not another road like it on the planet!