Trip from Wisconsin to Montana--need recomendations

OP
C
Which way are you coming from MT to Idaho? the Missoula to Salmon drive (Bitterroot Valley) is epic, this time of year with animals heading back from winter grounds you'll see tons of game. If your going the Dillon route, consider Bozeman to W Yellowstone (aka Gallatin Gateway)...those 2 drives are some of the best-selling in the west.
Looks like I will be taking 93 from Kalispell to North Fork/Salmon area. Looking forward to that drive.

chris

OP
C
Just before you get to Wall drug, you’ll see it sign for the Badlands. Definitely worth the short detour, it parallels the interstate for a while then comes out at Wall drug. Stop in there for lunch.

If you get in the neighborhood of Red Lodge Montana, look to the south and take the Bear tooth pass over the mountain, towards Cody Wyoming. Not another road like it on the planet!
When I was in High School I took a trip out west. I don't remember much of it, but somewhere I have a picture of us on top of the Bear Tooth Pass. We packed our coolers with snow in the middle of summer.

chris

GSPHUNTER

WKR
If you do go by Mt. Rushmore, on the wall with all the workers names are the Leach brothers, know as Hoot and Little hoot. They were my wife's uncles. Her and her sister pointing out their name. My wife on the right.026.JPG

PNWGATOR

WKR
Stop at Naps Grill in Hamilton on your way through, each way, for a burger and fries.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Hilarious. I have 3 sisters who live within 20 miles or so of Beloit. Will be there in June. I'll have to mention that.

If you have some time to kill around Bozeman, stop at Montucky's or the Bacchus Pub.

jimh406

WKR
Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument (Site of Custer's Last Stand).

Butte Mt. Con. Mine Headframe

Black Sheep Sporting Goods in CDA (you probably know of that one)

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Ah Janesville, I went to Paramedic school there 26 years ago. Just north of Beloit. They always said Beloit is the sound a turd makes when it hits the water.

chris
Yup, remember saying that myself. Played many football games against them. Nasty games back then.

Last fall we located a shooting range/gun shop just south of I90 a few miles east of Gillette by the coal mine. The backstop for the range was a huge wall of those ginormous earth mover tires. Owner was very friendly and it was a pretty cool place.

hunterjmj

WKR
I'll second Berkeley pit in Butte. If you stop in Butte the Front Street Market or Joes Pasty shop make awesome food. The Fort in Big Timber is worth a stop too. They have gas, guns, food and booze.