Trip from Wisconsin to Montana--need recomendations

Shiloh Sharps rifle co in Big Timber MT. Second the Fort in Big Timber.
Schnee‘s in Bozeman has a nice little gun room out back. It used to be
the Powder Horn with old owner George. Some cool shoulder mounts there too.

Just before you get to Wall drug, you’ll see it sign for the Badlands. Definitely worth the short detour, it parallels the interstate for a while then comes out at Wall drug. Stop in there for lunch.

If you get in the neighborhood of Red Lodge Montana, look to the south and take the Bear tooth pass over the mountain, towards Cody Wyoming. Not another road like it on the planet!
He won't be going over Beartooth Highway for another month at least. We had epic snow this winter.

keller

WKR
Lots of stuff in Bozeman wild sheep foundation has a cool display, kennetrek,

OG10

FNG
Dough Trader pizza spearfish SD, also great fly fishing in Rapid-city SD.

Mt Al

WKR
If you drive hwy 93 (between Kalispel and Missoual) and go through St. Ignatius, you gotta stop at the Old Timer for chow! Prepare by fasting whatever previous meal you were going to eat.

Looks like I will be taking 93 from Kalispell to North Fork/Salmon area. Looking forward to that drive.

chris

North Fork has a cool little general store, pretty good selection of camping/fly fishing/etc gear. Not really much for hunting stuff tho.

Can only comment on one restaurant in Salmon, but great food and beer at the Pork Peddler.

TheHammer

WKR
If stopping in Mitchel to see the corn palace. I’d suggest eating right down the street at the depot, it’s a really cool place! It was the old train station turned restaurant. Devils tower is a must. The SD badlands park is pretty sweet. Plenty of awesome places to stop Along the way

KurtR

WKR
There’s a cabelas in Mitchell to. I would rather go there than the corn palace I hate that place I might have a different perspective since I had to play basketball there.

Last edited:
Corn palace is pretty cool! I like the fort in big timber, wild sheep foundation, st regis ConocoPhillips for a shake, place with all the silver dollars before the Idaho border, machine guns Montana in Kalispell has good amounts of powder (some neat tacticool stuff too)

If you've got plenty of time for it, here are a few suggestions.

* Starting your morning in Kalispell, have breakfast at Sykes, then walk kitty corner to Black Rifle Coffee and order a Smokey Joe.
* Stop at Machine Guns Montana for an excellent selection of ammo and great prices on NF scopes, Proof barrels, etc.
* Stop in Rollins at M&S meats and get some jerky and cheese curds.
* Didn't buy cheese at M&S? Polson has a small cheese factory with excellent cheese, and if you didn't purchase any at M&S, buy some here. Skipped breakfast? Grab lunch at the Hot Spot Thai place or some BBQ at Cherries.
* Missoula has a few big box stores, Scheels, Bob Ward's, Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabela's, but if you're an archer, stop at Straight Six Archery on Reserve St.
* Continuing south to Hamilton, stop and grab a burger and fries at Naps, but prepare to not be hungry for dinner!
*South of Darby, you'll see a scenic pullout for an epic view of Trapper's Peak. Stop here and enjoy the view. This is the tallest peak in the Bitterroot range.
* Continuing south past the Connor cutoff, the highway parallels the E. Fork of the Bitterroot River.
* Keep your eyes peeled as you may have the opportunity to see some big horn sheep by the hwy.
* If you're feeling worn out and need some relaxation, stop at Lost Trail Hotsprings for a quick soak and a true Montana experience. My great grandfather poured the concrete for the pool, and my last name is still stenciled in the concrete. I'm a rare breed in Montana anymore, as I'm a fourth generation Montanan. It's sad to see what my state is turning into, but I digress.

* Once you get to the top of the pass, you can turn left towards Big Hole and visit the Big Hole National Battlefield. The Big Hole is a beautiful area and is true Montana with multi-generation cattle ranches. In high school, we'd drive there and go through a ton of ammo shooting gophers.
* If you don't turn left, you'll see Lost Trail Ski area on your right and will shortly be leaving Montana and entering Idaho.

Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk