Tripod Cant

Pardon me if there is already a thread addressing this...

Looking at new ways to lighten my pack. I have always packed my gun around with a Harris bipod on the front, but I’m thinking about ditching it (when backpacking) and getting set up to shoot off of my tripod, since I am carrying the tripod already anyway.

Based off my research, it seems like the best way to make this system rock solid is to mount my gun via an integrated arca-Swiss plate.

I am currently running a Benro S2 and am planning to switch to a Sirui VA-5 eventually.

Is there a better way to adjust for cant with these heads, without fiddling with the tripod legs? Using the legs to adjust my cant seems like it might be finicky and slow especially in rocky terrain. Wondering if there is some kind of small adapter that adds a tensioned and/or locking cant adjustment to put between the gun and tripod head and still be able to lock things down securely. I don’t want to just shoot off of a V attachment.

Is there a solution that I’m missing that meets my parameters. I’m thinking I want something like the part of a bipod that I have pictured below, but in between my gun and tripod head.

Maybe like two arca plates facing opposing directions one mounted to the gun, the other slides into the tripod, but they are connected by a center hinge so they can pivot against eachother, with a tension knob coming out from between them to lock the hinge in position once I am level... idk I’m kind of just spit balling. Does this exist?

Attachments

• 38DACA25-A0E4-4DF4-8DAC-F1BC3303F151.jpeg
    38DACA25-A0E4-4DF4-8DAC-F1BC3303F151.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
OP
Ideally I’m looking for something low profile enough it can just stay attached to the gun, for the sake of speed and simplicity.

So because you are using a video head that's designed to be mounted on a level platform, this is what benro offers.
Not saying that's your best option, but it is one way to fix what you're talking about.

Flyjunky

WKR
So because you are using a video head that's designed to be mounted on a level platform, this is what benro offers.
Not saying that's your best option, but it is one way to fix what you're talking about.
Yes, either a leveling base or if your tripod accepts it use a 75mm half ball.

Yes, either a leveling base or if your tripod accepts it use a 75mm half ball.
This might be a place where the Leofoto ranger leveling series makes a lot of sense. Sure you lose the center column, but much better for shooting off of

OP
The Benro leveling head is 11oz, at that point I’m not saving much weight compared to a bipod. I might have to build my own solution.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would recommend going to a ball head. It will give you movement on all axis and allow you to level up in any terrain! We are currently running a couple of RRS heads on two vets tripods and it seems to be the best option out there! Once you get your rifle converted to an arca rail, then you can get adapters for your binos and spotter! The ball heads are super nice to glass off of also!

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I would recommend going to a ball head. It will give you movement on all axis and allow you to level up in any terrain! We are currently running a couple of RRS heads on two vets tripods and it seems to be the best option out there! Once you get your rifle converted to an arca rail, then you can get adapters for your binos and spotter! The ball heads are super nice to glass off of also!
100% agree. Go with a good ball head and you're set for glassing and shooting.

slowelk

WKR
In my opinion tripods are meant for glassing. A ball head is a significantly inferior glassing head compared to something like a sirui va-5. In practice, I have thrown a shooting bag over my tripod head. It creates a serviceably stable platform for shots within 300 yards.

I’m working on ditching the bipod and shooting off a pack, and then shooting off the tripod with a bag if needed. I always prefer prone and work to establish a prone position.

slowelk

WKR
Which ball head(s) have you had that are inferior? How long did you use them?

First I used the Spartan precision Davros pro, then a two vets 55mm ball head that I still have. I used the Davros pro through spring bear 2021, hated it. I used the two vets through the summer and archery season. Sirui through rifle season 2021.

The sirui was much easier for me to grid out areas and control with the arm. I think it has to do with it only having two axis of movement.

Last year was my first year carrying a tripod in the field, so it was all new to me.

mouri010

FNG
Very interested in this topic, but I think this is all way over my head😂. Would love to be able to mount my rifle to my tripod, but I think the first step is mounting an arca plate to my rifle

kthomas

FNG
Or you can get a gimbal ballhead :cool:

Check out Uniqball UBH-45 or Flexshooter gimbal ballheads.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
First I used the Spartan precision Davros pro, then a two vets 55mm ball head that I still have. I used the Davros pro through spring bear 2021, hated it. I used the two vets through the summer and archery season. Sirui through rifle season 2021.

The sirui was much easier for me to grid out areas and control with the arm. I think it has to do with it only having two axis of movement.

Last year was my first year carrying a tripod in the field, so it was all new to me.
Turn the spicket down 90 degrees in the slot on the head and mount the spotter on the side of the head not the top. It works like a champ, perfect super smooth pan and easy up and down on 90 degree axis. If you are trying to use a ball head with unlimited movement it will suck bad otherwise. But again you can buy a 10 pound 2k camera head which will work better than anything, always trade offs of course.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
If OP ever realizes that ball heads are the way:

These are still for sale for a crazy deal. <$300, the best ripoff ball head for shooting, and good legs. 4lbs as is, if you take out the bottom sections, 3.5lbs. Not affiliated.

Pictured 14lb rifle on the head. Fully extended, the legs are taller than my fridge ha. They can definitely lose a leg section for most.

Attachments

• IMG_1438.jpeg
    IMG_1438.jpeg
    389.2 KB · Views: 13
If OP ever realizes that ball heads are the way:

These are still for sale for a crazy deal. <$300, the best ripoff ball head for shooting, and good legs. 4lbs as is, if you take out the bottom sections, 3.5lbs. Not affiliated.

Pictured 14lb rifle on the head. Fully extended, the legs are taller than my fridge ha. They can definitely lose a leg section for most.
If you can find one with the MA-30L head, it has a lever instead of a knob for tightening the arca clamp.