Tripod for glassing and shooting

It’s the integrated Arca rail, which is the only way to go with it the HNT 26. The folding stock is great for packing in the mountains and in brush. It locks up completely solid. Couldn’t recommend it more.
I'm still working up the courage to do a little sponge paint on my HNT26. I had no problems doing it on a beat up MDT XRS stock, but the HNT is only triple the price.

Can't agree more on the tripod. The SA-324 series of leofoto tripod is a killer deal for what you get in stability, and you get it with the MA-30L head included.

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
Not much better than a RRS Ascend platform with Anvil direct mounted. Put a little panhead atop the anvil or remove anvil & use the center coloumn with panhead for glassing exclusively.
Great idea about putting a little light weight pan head on top. Haven’t read about anyone doing that in any of the rabbit holes I’ve been down trying to find the best system to do it all.

Great idea about putting a little light weight pan head on top. Haven’t read about anyone doing that in any of the rabbit holes I’ve been down trying to find the best system to do it all.

Here are a couple options I use.
Anvil direct mount with Tricer LP.
This is the best setup for shooting & glassing.

Other setup is the RRS Ascend with the center column, RRS BC-18 mini reverse ballhead and Tricer LP. This is a bit more glassing oriented, but I’ve still been able to shoot off of the BC-18. I killed a Blacktail this Aug. shooting off of it at 348 yards with my Fieldcraft and using a Spartan Arca adapter.

IMG_9237.jpegIMG_8195.jpeg

IMG_7798.jpeg

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
Here are a couple options I use.
Anvil direct mount with Tricer LP.
This is the best setup for shooting & glassing.

Other setup is the RRS Ascend with the center column, RRS BC-18 mini reverse ballhead and Tricer LP. This is a bit more glassing oriented, but I’ve still been able to shoot off of the BC-18. I killed a Blacktail this Aug. shooting off of it at 348 yards with my Fieldcraft and using a Spartan Arca adapter.

View attachment 625142View attachment 625143

View attachment 625144
How does the LP do with the spotting scopes? I’ve heard nothing but good things. I know it’s not in the same ball park as RRS but the AD and Lp are probably what’s in my budget for a new system. Then maybe add a quality ball head like anvil to the system.

How does the LP do with the spotting scopes? I’ve heard nothing but good things. I know it’s not in the same ball park as RRS but the AD and Lp are probably what’s in my budget for a new system. Then maybe add a quality ball head like anvil to the system.
The Tricer LP works fantastic with everything I've tried with it, including the Kowa 88. I have no need to look for anything else.

@NateK
I have completely switched from a Spartan bipod to shooting from a tripod exclusively.
The carbon tripods named above are inferior Chinese carbon that have a sticker slapped on them.

The Spartan system is sloppy as hell. They may work ok for low shooting positions at closer ranges, but the magnetic attachment design leaves much to be desired for any precision shooting.

Personally I have found the Really Right Stuff Ascend-14 and Anvil 30 (Or honestly the knockoff Leofoto MA-30L, which is a few ounces lighter but still built well) head to be head and shoulders above any other system. It is made in the USA out of superior materials than any of the others. It weighs appx 3 lbs 5 oz.

When prone with this system, I am just as stable as any bipod. But most field positions do not allow for proper prone bipod shooting anyhow. In those circumstances, the versatility of a tripod comes into its own. I’ll never use a bipod again for mountain hunting.View attachment 605228
Nice setup

pirogue

WKR
Surui has the best tripod and their va5 fluid head is awesome!
Their Traveler X tripod looks like a great backpack tripod, but they don’t sell it by itself. It has to be bought with that head that has a handle about a foot long.

Also check out Wiser precision pan head. Very similar to the Tricers but made on the US

I use the RRS Ascend with the ascend head. Probably the best tripod on the market for a mix of glassing and shooting. The arca attacthment is a quick detach and the center column can be shortened to 4 inches for prone shots. At $1600 retail it ain’t cheap I did a payment plan for mine, the way I look at it is if you’re running the best optics why wouldnt you have the best tripod for them?

Attachments

• 41F30FD1-AA5F-4F0F-BEDA-F18DC74D4EF9.jpeg
    41F30FD1-AA5F-4F0F-BEDA-F18DC74D4EF9.jpeg
    335.4 KB · Views: 24
  • FE712DE7-A0F8-41F1-98B0-C13BFDAB8DE0.jpeg
    FE712DE7-A0F8-41F1-98B0-C13BFDAB8DE0.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 24