Tripod recommendation

CWA360

FNG
Looking around for a backcountry tripod that can be used for glassing and shooting. Anyone have recommendations?

Vortex is my go to brand but open to other options.

Depends on your budget and how much weight you're willing to carry. If budget isn't an issue, you can't beat RRS for the weight.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Do you glass sitting or standing?
Do you want a center column?
What is the heaviest piece of optic?
What are the wind conditions?
How much will you use it for shooting?
How far will you be shooting?
Will you clip into your tripod with ARCA to shoot?

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Spartan Ascent, 3.1 pounds, glassing, shooting and trekking poles, goes prone in seconds.

We have them all in stock. They are also on sale right now. 10% off, free trekking pole handles, snow baskets, bag, and upgraded feet.

www.happyantelope.com

OP
C

CWA360

FNG
Depends on your budget and how much weight you're willing to carry. If budget isn't an issue, you can't beat RRS for the weight.
My philosophy is 'buy once cry once'. Willing to spend some coin to get the right gear...

Then I researched RRS and damn! I take back my previous statement. Budget would be under $500

OP
C

CWA360

FNG
Do you glass sitting or standing?
Do you want a center column?
What is the heaviest piece of optic?
What are the wind conditions?
How much will you use it for shooting?
How far will you be shooting?
Will you clip into your tripod with ARCA to shoot?
Lot's of questions here that will require further research. Typical shots will reach out 2-300 yards but might be further.

We are hunting the Missouri Breaks in Montana this year. It can get super windy. I do not plan to clip in to the tripod.

nobody

WKR
For seated height, I’ve been impressed with my Vortex Summit Carbon 2. I got a good deal on it when I used to work at Sportsman’s Warehouse part time in the evenings. If it hadn’t have been for the deal, I wouldn’t have picked one up. But now, it goes on every single hunt with me. It’s tiny on the pack, lightweight, and simple. It will hold my 10x50’s and a 65mm spotter at seated height with no issues of vibration or movement.

I did, however, swap out the 2 way pan head with a micro “fluid” head off of Amazon. It cost me like $30 for the head, and it infinitely improved the tripod’s stability. The factory head was ok, but that cheap aftermarket head added less than an ounce of total weight to the tripod package and increased its performance 10 fold. This past season was year number 3 of use in everything from early season scouting to late August archery to November rifle in every temp and weather in between without missing a beat.

I would highly recommend the combo to anybody looking for a backpacking tripod.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you will sit for everything, then you can go shorter/lighter. And, you'll be lower so out of the wind more. If you are only using 12x or smaller binos, you can get lighter. If you use 15x binos or a spotter, then you need to bump up in weight. When tripods give you their weight they hold, basically use that as a minimum that is usable. I like higher because stability is everything when glassing long range.

If you are not clipping in with your rifle and shooting inside 400, you can use a light center column tripod to get height and save some weight.

300 yards will be a chip shot. I recommend getting a shooting bag to toss over a pan head. You can simply set your rifle on the bag and easily make the shots. We make light shooting bags that get used like this all the time. Check them out and pm if you have questions. www.lswild.com

When anyone gives their opinion, ask them some questions how they use it. You could certainly buy the tripod that I use, but you can save some weight.

Indewoods

FNG
Leofoto LS series tripods are a great tripod at a great price. If you like the Vortex brand, the Switchback Carbon is a similar option but you don’t have to worry about beating on it too hard because it’s covered if you’re a little too rough.

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
RRS, I know it’s expensive. One of their tripods with an anvil 30 head. If you can swing it. Put an Arca plate on your rifle.

dster3

FNG
I run a two vets - QDT for glassing while i'm at my truck and a two vets "the ruck" when im backpacking in. Running a tricer head, highly recommended.

Tricer also came out with a new tripod, havent seen or used it, but its a lighweight option for glassing.

You cant go wrong with RRS, their new compact model seems like a good all around tripod. The Anvil is a great ball head, they also have a lighweight pan and tilt model for glassing, very similar to the tricer head.

Leofoto has been coming out with some good stuff lately, more of an affordable option.

The worst product Vortex makes is their glassing tripods and its not even close. I cant beleive they even sell any of them. Id look for a tripod in the 3-4 pound range, especially if you're wanting to shoot off of it. Doesnt matter how good your glass is if your tripod wont keep your glass stable. The RRS Ascend is the gold standard for what youre looking for and I did a payment plan on mine. A ball head is almost essential for shooting but a pan head is much better for glassing. Id look at brands like leofoto, manfrotto, tricer, slik, sirui, and aziak. Stay away from Vortex.

tyshel

FNG
2 Vets Tripods or RRS tripod

I've shot from both and both get passing grades
Any notable differences bt the two? I understand the head/mount you run on each could add some variation bt the two. But I referring to more of an ease-of-use, footing, stability stand point. Or anything that stood out to you.

Also, what heads did you use on each respectively?

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
I use the..
Leofoto LSR-284C Rapid Ranger Flip

Leofoto LB-60N 60mm Leveling Base

Leftfoto Quick Release Clamp with Arca Swiss clamp Style

About 56oz for that setup.

I have not shot from it yet.. but I intent to use with my rokstok when that arrives. I do however use with a spotter and binos.
I also use…

Leofoto BC-02 BinoculaR clamp

I know Leofoto is made in China.. however it fit my price point, needs, and functions. I like the flip locks personally over twist as well. I have run a benro s2 pan head successfully as well. Reason I changed to tilt head is the ability to shoot from. At least that’s my hope 😉

Any notable differences bt the two? I understand the head/mount you run on each could add some variation bt the two. But I referring to more of an ease-of-use, footing, stability stand point. Or anything that stood out to you.

Also, what heads did you use on each respectively?

tvc33 with the bh55

2 vets recon with sirui kx40

I prefer the tvc combo. fewer leg sections = more stable

Desmond photographic on eBay has really good deals on leofoto stuff right now. Picked up a SA-364c + Ma-30 head for $287 shipped. They have other models on a deep discount as well.