Tripod/head suggestions

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
I've been digging through previous posts and there is SO much information and I'm hoping some of you can help narrow down my options.
I have a cheap ass setup currently and I'm looking to buy once cry once for a do-all tripod/head setup.
Needs:
-Glass standing up or sitting with 10x42s (I'm 6'7")
-Quickly swap between binos and rifle
-Shoot off tripod from sitting position (not planning on shooting standing
-not so ridiculously heavy it never leaves the truck but not the most expensive ultra lightweight option
- would REALLY prefer buying usa made.

I don't have anything on the rifle currently and will modify the stock as necessary.

Thanks in advance.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In my order of personal preference for US made premium ball heads. Any of the three will work for both. The Anvil has the lever, which I like. The others have the knobs which are more traditional. All are plenty sturdy to shoot from.

Get the twist knob clamp, because some "ARCA" rails vary just enough that the lever does not work. If you go all RRS dovetail compatible from excellent companies, you can go with the lever.

OP
Buffinnut

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't see an rrs tripod with the height im looking for without center column. I did find this feisol which is perfect https://www.feisol.net/tripods/feisol-tripod-ct-3372l.html
but I figured if im gonna pay that much for Taiwan I may as well try one of the as80c from Amazon and hopefully that will get me by until someone manufacturing in the usa comes out with a model similar to the ct-3372 in the future.
Also have an arca rail on the way. Excited to get some practice tripod shooting

archp625

WKR
At 6’7” that’s going to be tonight to find a tripod that tall enough to stand up and glass. Just a thought. 95% of glassing is done sitting down. So you may not need a tripod that is as tall.

I don’t have a recommendation for a tall tripod. I do have a suggestion for a head. The Sirui VA-5 is an awesome head for less than $200

OP
Buffinnut

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
At 6’7” that’s going to be tonight to find a tripod that tall enough to stand up and glass. Just a thought. 95% of glassing is done sitting down. So you may not need a tripod that is as tall.

I don’t have a recommendation for a tall tripod. I do have a suggestion for a head. The Sirui VA-5 is an awesome head for less than $200
I wouldn't be as set on a tall tripod if I wasn't going to use it for photography as well. I can't stand having to bend over to look through the viewfinder.

archp625

WKR
I wouldn't be as set on a tall tripod if I wasn't going to use it for photography as well. I can't stand having to bend over to look through the viewfinder.
Oh I hear you. I’m not near as tall as you and I have to bend over with binos with my Sirui tripod. Annoying but I do all my glassing from the sitting position.

archp625

WKR
It's only rated at 3kg and I'm planning to attach a rifle directly to my head
Man, sorry about recommending the VA-5 head. You are going to want a ball head if you are shooting your rifle on it. Fluid heads aren’t great for rifle shooting. But at the same time balls heads aren’t the best for glassing.

OP
Buffinnut

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
Man, sorry about recommending the VA-5 head. You are going to want a ball head if you are shooting your rifle on it. Fluid heads aren’t great for rifle shooting. But at the same time balls heads aren’t the best for glassing.
Yeah unfortunately im gonna sacrifice a little bit on glassing to have that shooting functionality

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
RRS Ascend-14L it should be tall enough for you with the center column. The little ballhead it comes with works fantastically for glassing with binos and is serviceable for shooting. It's not going to win any prs matches, but I think it does well for it's weight and size. It is expensive.