Tripod Help

Matthews

FNG
Been looking around for a tripod to throw my 10x42 binos on for an upcoming mule deer hunt in Wyoming. Think I might have found one or two around what I want to spend. Looking for more experienced individual's opinion on what I found and if they have any recommendations in the price range these two tripods are at. Thanks in advance.

Amazon.com : Dolica TX570DS Ultra Compact Tripod with Professional Ball Head and Built-In Monopod (Black) : Camera & Photo

Amazon.com : VANGUARD Espod Cx 233Ap Tripod with Ph-23 Pan Head : Camera & Photo

Owenst7

WKR
I just bought the CX 203AP before my last scouting trip. I'm fairly new to backpacking tripods and out of the loop on what's available, so I was more comfortable with something I could compare side-by-side in stores. The head on it seems fine for my 2.5 lbs spotter and I really didn't have any complaints. Perhaps if I were used to an expensive tripod I may say differently.

The selling point for me was that it was 37 ounces, which is only an ounce or two heavier than the Vortex Summit that I see people talking about a lot on here. Compared to the summit, the 203 will extend to a height that I can comfortably stand at with my straight lens spotter (I'm 5'10"). I thought the head on the Vanguard was much more practical to use than the Vortex. The Vortex is more compact when folded up, but the Vanguard packs outside my backpack just fine.

The only difference I could figure out between the 203 and 233 was that the 233 extends to 2" or 3" taller. The legs are a little bigger diameter on the 233. This added up to like 8 ounces or something.

I just looked at Summits at the local gun shop- I am only 5-8 and it fit me perfectly. One had a pan, the other a ball.
I liked the ball, at least now, while it was new, clean and dirt free.
But I didn't care for the legs and what it took to extend them- very cumbersome and time consuming, at least on these 2. They were display models, but I told the clerk, Id break these if I was in a hurry to get on an elk, while tring to close them up. He looked at me and said, well yea if you were in a hurry.
They were like $120, nice and compact- pretty light, but not for me.
Honestly I think there are cheaper, lighter and as good if not better out there, capable of holding close to 8-10 lbs, and less than 2.5 lbs for under $100.

I've been using some cheap ones I paid $10 at a yard sale for and they are just fine. But heavy, and long when folded down.
I will be getting a new set soon.
Looking at a few higher end ones, but not sold on their brand just yet.
I may get a cheaper $70 one from Amazon and see if I can destroy it, if not I will get one for my Swaro.