Spotting Scope Rental_my experience

JeffP_Or

WKR
Figured I would post this up since I didn't even know rental was an option until reading about it here on the board. Hope it might assist some others - so thanks again for the info everyone!

I lucked into a hunt that I would never do on my own volition. After talking with the host [guide] about the hunt, it was apparent the hunt was different than my 'normal' adventures. Lots more long-range glassing. We talked about whether a back-up spotter would be helpful and because of that, I decided to carry a back-up to his 85mm Vortex. I am horrible at justifying the purchase of high-dollar items - even used - and even with the mindset that I could sell it when I was done using it. And I am probably even worse at selling. Therefore, the rental seemed worth investigating.

I used Optics4Rent after looking around a few options; many are specific to areas at national parks. O4R was one of (3) I found that would ship product anywhere. One, the website was very questionable; the other also rented camera equipment and seemed like a fair option if you knew what you were looking for specifically [pairing tripods for example] but overwhelmed me a bit.

The O4R package was scope and tripod; options were straight or angled scope; normal or lightweight tripod; phone/camera adapter (added cost). I had a couple of questions - mostly about the tripod and lightweight option - and called them; spoke directly with Todd [owner] who was very helpful. We went through the hunt plan and he made a fair/honest assessment and recommendation from what I explained. He then emailed me the specs so I could look them over. His reasoning was sound on all accounts and I ordered the angled scope [Swarovski Spotting Scope: 25-60x65 ATX], normal tripod [Sirui N2204SK with a VA-5 head] and added phone scope [Novagrade Double-Gripper universal]. This was months in advance [mid-July]. Rental time period was 7-days, with requested ship date (1) day before my departure [Oct 4].

Exactly one-week prior to my requested receive date [Sept 27], I was sent two emails - one with shipping confirmation and the other a link to 'Best Practices/How to" for the phone adapter. The estimated arrival date was 1-day prior [Oct 3] to my requested date [Oct 4] and two days before I was scheduled to leave town [Oct 5]. The package arrived on my doorstep on October 1 - well in advance! This gave me ample time to assemble and play with the whole setup, test with the phone, learn all controls etc. Very appreciated since both phones and scopes are new to me.

The box came with a return label so I could simply put all the gear back in the box, seal it up, put the new label on it and drop it off at any ship station. Which is exactly what I did - shipping from the nearest town of my hunt destination.

Everything was in perfect condition when I received it. Everything worked exactly as it should. The cost was $250 for the 7-days with shipping added to that [$55 via FedEX]. Everything went smoothly and to me was worth it [especially saving the hassle of a resell].

This route might not be perfect for everyone but was exactly what I needed/wanted - so thanks again Roksliders! And also to Optics4Rent. If you find yourself in a similar situation, rental certainly seems like a great option and definitely worked without fail!

PS Super glad I didn't drop it - because yes, you are responsible to replace it should you damage it!

073859 - Copy.jpg073359 - Copy.jpg073646 - Copy.jpg