Trophy Room Qs

ryno1

FNG
After two decades of no hunting, I'm getting back into it. I've been able to hit Africa for some plains game, an elk, and two black bears. Time to decide where everything will go.

Fortunately, I need a home office, so I'd like to build something for double-duty. This is what I have so far:
1. 25 feet wide by 45 feet long.
2. 19 feet side walls (cathedral ceilings at 24 feet at highest point). I need the height to attach a lean-to for RV storage.

This will be my first taxidermy. I'm thinking that the tall walls should give me enough room for two rows of trophies. A bottom row for small/medium animals (think wildebeest, whitetail, etc...) starting about 9 feet high with a top row for larger animals (think big kudu, elk, etc...) starting about 12-13 feet high. Does this sound right? I don't want the animals to be "lost" so high in the room.

Also, does anyone know of flexible LED lighting or strips that could be installed now and moved later? I've heard that lighting is critical.

Based on other threads I've found, I'll hang plywood behind the drywall.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

wyosteve

WKR
You're on the right track. Especially the plywood behind the drywall. No help from me on the lighting though.

bohntr

WKR
I had recessed spot lights placed where they shined towards the wall (mounts). Really makes them ‘pop’ when they are on. Other benefit, you don’t tend to see them since they’re somewhat recessed. Sometimes tracks of lighting take away from the room

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I put up LED lights, with the strip on stand-offs hanging 8" from ceiling. The individual lights snap in anywhere on the strip and are fully directional. The strip I put in is flexible so you can configure it as you want so it's not just a straight Lind of lights.

MattB

WKR
I added plywood between the studs and that worked great. Depending on how/where you do it, it might make sense to take some pictures before the room is sheet rocked to make sure you know where the plywood is.

OP
ryno1

ryno1

FNG
I put up LED lights, with the strip on stand-offs hanging 8" from ceiling. The individual lights snap in anywhere on the strip and are fully directional. The strip I put in is flexible so you can configure it as you want so it's not just a straight Lind of lights.
What brand/type of lights did you use?
Thanks

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Wife said she got them at Lamps Plus. She can't remember brand.

Attachments

• Resized_20230704_083301.jpeg
    Resized_20230704_083301.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 37

WCB

WKR
You are starting your bottom row too high imo. Mounts look better lower. Smaller animals I would start 6 or 7 ft up. You have a large enough room where you won't have to walk directly under them. Put some shelves or display cases under them and you can keep traffic away from the wall if you are worried about it.

elkguide

WKR
Heading in the right general direction. As was just said I would start smaller mounts at 6 feet. Don't want too much of an elevated, lost look. As to plywood. Over the years as a builder and working with a lot of "design - build" projects, in kitchens I have regularly used 5/8" plywood on all of the walls behind the rock giving the homeowner a complete pallet of options as to what cabinets can go where. Great idea for your mounts as your "next" mount might need to be moved just a little bit to accommodate your next bigger mount.
Good luck and we will need pictures for sure.