Truck camping/hunting

Shad71

WKR
I sleep in the bed with a topper. I use a 0° sleeping bag and a down comforter. Sometimes I'll run a Mr. Buddy heater for a little bit before I go to bed and when I wake up. Works great for me into the teens.
I would get a topper, they are nice for staying in and keeping your gear dry, safe, dust free.
Yup I have done the same thing many many times hunting. Works just fine 🍻

If you're going to be spending money to fund gear to avoid buying a topper, I'd just stroke the credit card and buy the topper now. Sell some gear if you need to.

In all likelihood if you get a good blizzard you're probably headed to a motel or home anyway right? So your camping setup doesn't need to be bombproof, just comfortable.

WCB

WKR
I've slept in my truck many nights....just sleeping bag and pad. crank the heater on if needed listen to some music etc.

I like the good tent camp etc. and have spent many nights living out of a back pack. A few days in the cab of the truck with instant heat and entertainment has never served me wrong. I just have had regular crew cabs before so the extra room of your may be nice.

Topper option in the future might be better but you will want to seal it from dust. Some of the hunts I have been on if dry out, there is no way in hell I would sleep in the back with the amount of dust in there. I is also nice to be able to just take off in the morning and not have to take down a tent or organize anything.

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

WKR

Here is one of my past setups. Tarp on top to keep the dew off of us . Pad and nice sleeping bag . Its what I had to do from time to time when going remote. I use a pop up slide in camper now , bought it about a year or so ago .

just don't know if I would like that or not. I do have a tonneau cover on my pickup, I think I would definitely like head room. But then again I've never tried your idea before. Thanks

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

WKR
I've slept in my truck many nights....just sleeping bag and pad. crank the heater on if needed listen to some music etc.

I like the good tent camp etc. and have spent many nights living out of a back pack. A few days in the cab of the truck with instant heat and entertainment has never served me wrong. I just have had regular crew cabs before so the extra room of your may be nice.

Topper option in the future might be better but you will want to seal it from dust. Some of the hunts I have been on if dry out, there is no way in hell I would sleep in the back with the amount of dust in there. I is also nice to be able to just take off in the morning and not have to take down a tent or organize anything.
I agree, I ended up buying this blow up mattress thing that's made for a backseat. Looks like it will work out pretty good. Thanks for the tip!

ODB

WKR
I'm kind of leaning towards sleeping in the cab with a sleeping bag, I can always turn my truck on for a little bit if I get cold. And I'm short enough, so it should be fairly comfortable to me

I’ve done this many times. Sat in the passenger seat and leaned the seat back. Slept like hell.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I slept in the cab and back of an suv many times. The front passenger seat leaned back wasn’t bad (everyone and every truck is different. Starting up the truck for heat is convenient. Worst thing was condensation so I recommend getting the vent visors so you can crack the windows.

bmejia

FNG
A mattress from a pull out couch fits perfect in the bed of my 1500. It is much more comfortable than an air mattress or egg crate.

I’ve slept in my Duramax more times than I can count. Front seat with truck running all night.

It’s fine for a couple of nights but then I need to stretch my legs out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randle

WKR
If you don't care if the canopy matches and you have a buddy at auto dealer they can be picked up for free or maybe $50 . most dealers I have worked for take them off. I have gotten several thru the years this way

WKR
I pretty much live in my f250 for work, so I am used to sleeping in my truck. My hunting truck is an older F250 with a topper but I usually just sleep in the back seat to stay mobile. I have slept in the bed but it messes with my storage layout so I don't do that anymore. Just a cheap Coleman heavy 0 degree bag has kept me warm down to single digits in CO.
The topper is nice though, like other have suggested, pound the used marketplace for one. It took me a while but I found one with pop out windows for 400 bucks. I dont have to worry about loose items in the bed, I highly recommend getting one.

22lr

WKR
I have a Tundra with a camper shell, not long enough to stretch all the way out. When it's raining, I close the top half of the tailgate, and clamp a tarp up. Works pretty good long as its not hurricane force winds. I'm also cheap so... 20210731_094358.jpg

Broomd

WKR
If you get to the Northwest this Summer/Fall, I have a fiberglass topper I'll give you. It's off my (stolen) Toyota T100 --6.5' bed. Should fit your Ford straight up or with just a bit of mod. It's decent (screened windows etc.) and would solve your problem.

Sorry for the self-quote here....almost forgot about this thread and this offer...

Was my expecting some sort of response with this offer of a FREE TOPPER asking too much?
Seriously selfish and screwed up society we live in.

Last edited:

summs

Lil-Rokslider
I use my topper, but have yet to in weather below 40*.
Why? Because it gets wet. Dealing with moisture build up is something I haven’t found an answer for yet. But waking up moist in 40* weather is enough to start a day bad.

MortJ

FNG
I run a canopy with a thick sleeping bag and take the edge off at night with a small electric heater. Buddy heaters(propane) are super dangerous in enclosed spaces so i would avoid those. Also boiling some water and pouring into a hot water bottle and sleeping with that will take the edge off.

I spend north of 50 nights a year in my 2011 tundra.
I have a Leer fiberglass topper with carpeted liner and a bed rug.
No condensation. Just vent a window or 2.
I opted for the 6.5 foot bed double cab model. Plenty of room for my exped megamat 10.
I don't use a heater just use a bag and blanket suitable for expected Temps.
I love the freedom of truck camping where I end up for the day. Saves a ton of time from running to camp or getting something to eat.
I eat ant sleep right where I hunt and get plenty of rest. Could not imagine hunting differently. Been doing this for dam near 40 years.

The back seat of ny extended cab always looks like a constant yard sale during hunting season, organized chaos. Under my topper would be great, but the fine moon dust of many back roads would be a sinus nightmare for me. Even if you could keep the cot & bag clean, residual dust would be aggravating by morning.

I often kick back the front passenger seat, like a cramped recliner. I find a few strategically placed pillows help and can make it pretty comfy. Doesn't take long to set up or tear down. After a week or 10 days, I'm ready for a full sized bed and stretching out though for sure.

Do ya wanna be able to stand up?

Been using the KC forever.

0610or_01_z+Jeep_Grand_Cherokee_Hemi_Challenger+sand_front_view.jpg
IMGP4287.JPG

Last edited:

manitou1

WKR
I have a Tundra with a camper shell, not long enough to stretch all the way out. When it's raining, I close the top half of the tailgate, and clamp a tarp up. Works pretty good long as its not hurricane force winds. I'm also cheap so... View attachment 312234
I have done similar, only leaving the topper door up and clamping mosquito netting on it during warmer times. Works great.

CAH

FNG
Being from SD, you prolly ice fish. Take your thermal hub house and set it up with cots inside. I use 8” lag bolts that I just screw into the ground and a buddy heater. Vent the windows a bit and sleep like a baby. I’ve camped many weekends in -20 to 30 degree nights like this. It’s straight money! Then you go ice fishing and eat deer brats that you made from the buck you killed.