Truck camping stove question

paxamus

WKR
I’m thinking about getting one of those Coleman two burner stoves for some truck camping. What do y’all recommend? One of the newer ones with the propane bottles or one of the older ones that you fill the bottle and have to pump up? Also, is there anything else to look at or consider?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
The Trail Fire Grill is fantastic! Putting one through its paces now. I’m completely satisfied with it to this point t and am impressed with the versatility, quality and well thought out design.

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
I second the trailfire. But if you’re set on a 2 burner stove, propane is the way to go. When I get back to the truck and am exhausted I don’t want to have to fiddle with pressurizing a white gas stove.

BBob

WKR
Propane, no to white gas. I used a two burner propane Coleman in my truck kit for decades but a few years ago downsized to a single burner. I get by fine and have a much smaller cooking/kitchen box. Can’t really go wrong with a two burner Coleman though especially if it’s more than one of you using it.

Propane, no to white gas. I used a two burner propane Coleman in my truck kit for decades but a few years ago downsized to a single burner. I get by fine and have a much smaller cooking/kitchen box. Can’t really go wrong with a two burner Coleman though especially if it’s more than one of you using it.
Also downsized to a single burner stove like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-...3aGEIrk0EKqHBvcUvDRH-rse6mtXu4CUaAvhCEALw_wcB

Saves a lot of space. The meals we make are pre-made and frozen in bags. Just simmer water to heat them up.

Propane is the way to go. Have the two-burner stove and it's simple. Use the small propane bottles for truck hunts but big basecamps it gets hooked into a tree on a tank along with blackstone grill and weber bbq. Gives you options.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
It is hard to beat the convenience and cleanliness of propane for either a single or double burner and most of the modern versions of a base camp stove tend to burn it or some other canister fuel. If you are working at low temperatures, hate not knowing how much propane is in a bottle or making a lot of trash as compared to refueling from a can of fuel,, use white gas for other appliances (lantern for instance), or have a sentimental attachment to doing it the older way, white gas will still work great and I don't find it to be much of a hassle to work with.

OP
P

paxamus

WKR
Thanks guys! I do love the convenience of propane but hate having to buy all of those bottles. That trail fire is awfully nice but I’m not sure if it’s overkill for me

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
In that case, why not start with a single burner white gas stove and see if that is all you need? I don't have one, but Coleman makes a single burner white gas stove with a built in tank for about $100. That seems handy and less fooling with the fuel than where the tank is separate. I have and use a Whisperlite and an old 2-burner green briefcase Coleman but could see the advantages of the all-in-one single burner Coleman for you.

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a dual fuel two burner for years. The two burner is much more stable, you don't have to worry about your pans tipping over, etc. And you can heat two different things at once.

A few years ago I bought a propane adaptor for it. It slides right in were the fuel nozzle goes, it can be switched out in 2 seconds. I use the fuel in cold weather and propane in the summer, or short meals.

cnelk

WKR
Those old white gas stoves were about as dangerous as they came. More than once Ive had to throw them out of the tent when the entire stove caught fire.
The leathers on the pump would dry up and cause all sorts of issues.

Propane. Definitely propane

OP
P

paxamus

WKR
Those old white gas stoves were about as dangerous as they came. More than once Ive had to throw them out of the tent when the entire stove caught fire.
The leathers on the pump would dry up and cause all sorts of issues.

Propane. Definitely propane

Very good point!

rayporter

WKR
th

these little one gallon refillable tanks can be real handy

I refill my one pound cans from my 20 # tanks. Very simple and inexpensive. YouTube it.

Downfall of propane is it doesn't work when it's really cold, and that's
when you really need it.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Thanks guys! I do love the convenience of propane but hate having to buy all of those bottles. That trail fire is awfully nice but I’m not sure if it’s overkill for me

I assure you the Trail Fire is not overkill. It’s extremely versatile! Wish they were available I’d had one decades ago.

We always bring a little Webber Grill. Pre-marinate and vacuum seal elk steak, pre-form and vacuum seal elk burgers and throw in a pack of smokies. Quick and easy to make with limited utensils.

You still need some type of burner, jet boil, etc. for the coffee solution.