Truck Oil Change - Mileage or Computer?

Some of the cars have a computer that just does a flag based on mileage but others have have an actual oil quality sensor. The sensors I worked on started hitting the german vehicle market in 2014 but it depends on which vehicle you're buying as to what is in it.

I always do every 5k miles. Easiest way to remember because I know it’s due if mileage is a multiple of 5.

5,000/10000/15000/20000 and so on. Splits the difference of old school 3k and newer models that can go longer.

Same thought-line as to why I got married New Years Eve. Easy to remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I change oil based on hours, 300 hrs no matter what the miles. Dodge 2500 Cummins has 490+ thousand miles so I guess it's working.

I change oil based on hours, 300 hrs no matter what the miles. Dodge 2500 Cummins has 490+ thousand miles so I guess it's working.

Did you install a Hobbs meter or is there a timer on your truck?

I have always wondered why cars/trucks didn't have an hour meter like an airplane...

I have always wondered why cars/trucks didn't have an hour meter like an airplane...
It's built in on my 06 Dodge. Key on, push odometer/ trip button down for five seconds and it will change to hours. Truck has almost 17k hours on it.

It's built in on my 06 Dodge. Key on, push odometer/ trip button down for five seconds and it will change to hours. Truck has almost 17k hours on it.

That's very cool - and useful - for people who read forums on oil change intervals... ;-)

My 03 Tahoe has engine hours as well. Odometer/hours/trip. Although I don’t use it for anything, it is there

What can you tell us about oil filters? This month the car store oil change package was a KN oil filter and the Mobil 1 full synthetic high mileage; my 2005 hemi Ram's first taste of full synthetic. I'd be smitten if I can go past 5k miles with that combo.

Ok oil experts, I ran this to 9k miles and then morning startups sounded wonky.

Changed and only drained 4.5qts of 7. There are no leaks. Oil looked far less dark than in the past using blends or lower cost oil.

Do the oil gurus change at X interval, or do you feel good just adding at X interval? I am wondering if I added a quart every 1k if I could genuinely hit 10k miles per change and not run below the 7qts I should have had in it.

Castrol edge and kn filter.

Ok oil experts, I ran this to 9k miles and then morning startups sounded wonky.

Changed and only drained 4.5qts of 7. There are no leaks. Oil looked far less dark than in the past using blends or lower cost oil.

Do the oil gurus change at X interval, or do you feel good just adding at X interval? I am wondering if I added a quart every 1k if I could genuinely hit 10k miles per change and not run below the 7qts I should have had in it.

Castrol edge and kn filter.

I've got 2 trucks and my wife's car all over 100k and run synthetic in all 3. 8-10k oil changes 3-4x a year on the 3/4 chevy, oil change once a year on the Nissan Titan (about 4k miles), oil change once a year on my wife's chevy traverse (about 6k miles). I've never had low oil on any of the the in the 5-6 years I've been using synthetic oil.

Is sure think it's getting leaked or burned somewhere.

I've got 2 trucks and my wife's car all over 100k and run synthetic in all 3. 8-10k oil changes 3-4x a year on the 3/4 chevy, oil change once a year on the Nissan Titan (about 4k miles), oil change once a year on my wife's chevy traverse (about 6k miles). I've never had low oil on any of the the in the 5-6 years I've been using synthetic oil.

Is sure think it's getting leaked or burned somewhere.

I'd bank on burned. Don't know if that means the filter needs changed before 10k, or if I am ok topping off regularly.

I'd bank on burned. Don't know if that means the filter needs changed before 10k, or if I am ok topping off regularly.
2.5 quarts low and it didn’t throw any low oil pressure or check engine? My older pickup burns a bit and I just top it off. I monitor my pressure pretty good and always have a quart in the truck for longer trips. Could always do a compression test if more and more oil keeps disappearing.

I'd just top it off ever thousand miles or so I guess. I've had zero issues going as much as 15k on the Purolator oil filters that are designed for that purpose.

2.5 quarts low and it didn’t throw any low oil pressure or check engine? My older pickup burns a bit and I just top it off. I monitor my pressure pretty good and always have a quart in the truck for longer trips. Could always do a compression test if more and more oil keeps disappearing.
Nope, the only indication that something was a little off was a different purr on start up when it had sat for a while, then after 5-10sec it would sound normal.

What was measured was the first time I have dumped it from the dump pan enclosed plastic jerry can looking drain pan, into the 5qt oil contained the new oil came in. It is very possible it could be similar at 5k miles on previous changes, I just have never measured what comes out. I did check with the dip stick prior to changing, but our street and driveway are nowhere near flat and it said it was more than full.

My mechanic told me the biggest engine failures is on new/newer engines.

He said when people buy a new/newer car, they think they dont need to check the oil.

Ruh Roh....

My 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 w/ 150k now uses about 1qt every 3k miles. So I add a 1/2 qt to get me to 5000 miles, then change.

NOTE: My on board computer says I have ~20% oil life left at 5000 miles

Low oil level doesn’t cause low pressure until it’s dangerous. So long as the pump intake is supplied it will put out pressure. You’d need a level switch to have a warning lamp. This would be problematic as it’d give false warnings when you go up/down steep grades. The level also changes when you start the engine as much of the oil is sucked out of the sump. It’s on you to check your oil.

Last edited:
Back