Truck Shopping

tdhanses

WKR
Yeh, interesting. I imagine our Landcruiser utes (truck or utility to you blokes?) doesn't have a big enough engine and isn't big enough in general for a lot of the style over there.

Mine is a 2003 model with a 4.3L 6cyl turbo diesel with about 445,000km on it and still going strong.
2021 was the last year we could get a Land Cruiser, now they are more expensive then the Lexus LX600 which is the same other then more luxury but even this is hard to get. Can’t even order one, you get on a list and some year when your name is picked you decide if you want what they get, super crazy.

Mojave

WKR
2021 was the last year we could get a Land Cruiser, now they are more expensive then the Lexus LX600 which is the same other then more luxury but even this is hard to get. Can’t even order one, you get on a list and some year when your name is picked you decide if you want what they get, super crazy.
https://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/ Yes they discontinued the LandCruiser 5 door SUV.

No, we haven't been able to get a LandCruiser pickup since the 1983. I don't know if you could get an FJ-45 then or just the FJ-40 3 door. We could never get the FJ48 wagon.

FJ-70's have never been imported to the USA for commercial sale. The US Military has about 800-1000 of them for training on military bases through out the USA. Because they are a common vehicle in the warzone. Same for the Landcruiser wagon 76, 78 troop carrier and 74 middie. We have a couple of FJ79 crewcabs and wagons FJ76 at work (military).

The FJ60, FJ80, J100, J200, j300 and FJCruiser (whatever the hell it is) were all imported to the USA.

Sucks that we can't get them. The Tundra and Sequoia are ok alternatives. I have a 2017 Sequoia it has been ok. Goes over anything but a gas station. Has 120,000 miles on it. I expect it to do another 120,000.

Just traded my '16 Ram Cummins turbo in on a '21 Nissan Frontier 4x4/4dr with 6K miles.
Even Swap. No Regrets. The Frontier feels like a better built truck.
The Ram with 46K miles was already giving me grief.
I hope it serves you well. I have a 2014 Pro4x and they are great trucks. Super underrated.

gbflyer

WKR
Dude, call Dave Smith in Kellog and order a new Ram or a new Chevy without the mark up.

If you want a Ford google zero mark up Ford dealers and put money down on one. Probably have to drive 1000 miles to go get it.

Good advice. After 30 years of driving and owning pure junk, Mamma said it was time for something decent. We ordered a new Ram in late Winter, it was delivered to the dealership in June. I’ve been mostly a GM customer, but I wasn’t going to spend $10K more for the same truck. We couldn’t get there for about a month, they kept it at the lot for us no problem. We got everything we wanted on it, basic truck with a few comforts added. There were trucks in stock but they were either rope start models or way too pimped-out. The process was painless. We committed at MSRP and at time of delivery any rebates we were eligible for were applied.

Ask for Axel.

Does it make sense financially? No idea and beyond the point of dwelling on it much. I know I have a warranty now, which I’m sure I’ll get to use.

wyosteve

WKR
GB, I think you'll enjoy the Ram. That's all I've driven since 1991 and they have never left me down or had any significant problems.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I just went through the same process, my 2012 F150 Lariat 5.0 was a great truck but at 155k miles, I decided it was time to sell. I couldn't find anything used so I ordered a new F150 Lariat just to have an option knowing it would take months to come in. In the meantime, my BIL told me he was selling his 2020 Chevy 1500 LT and was I interested. He only used the truck to travel between his homes in MI and UT and is meticulous about care and upkeep, he offered it at wholesale trade and I bought it. Went from 14 mpg average to 20 mpg and as much as 26 on the highway. It's a 2.7 4 cylinder but I can tell you I don't miss the 5.0 at all, this little motor does all I need (I don't pull a heavy trailer anymore) and I love saving money at the pump. Ford was selling me the truck at MSRP and they were happy to have it back, their lot was empty and I think it sold day one, above sticker.
I will say I think the F150 is the best looking truck on the road but I saved $20k by going used with a 2020 and I'm really starting to like this truck.

tony

WKR
Thought they had an 8 cylinder that would run on 4 at certain times?

Above sticker, that still amazes me people are that dam stupid.

dtrkyman

WKR
Euro cars with tiny motors have been making power for 50 years, americans gotta hve a v8 most times though!

tony

WKR
Yeah I have a little ecoboost ranger, and the power and torque is pretty amazing

N.ID7803

WKR
Nissan Titan Pro4x, 100k factory warranty. Can’t beat it. I drive logging roads on the daily. Had a few minor issues but all was covered under warranty. Roomy back seat, diff lock, great truck!

tdhanses

WKR
Thought they had an 8 cylinder that would run on 4 at certain times?

Above sticker, that still amazes me people are that dam stupid.
For what used sells for it makes sense, only stupid if you can’t get $10k more then you think your trade is worth or are just paying cash/financing.

We paid $5k over msrp for our Denali Yukon but got $10k more in trade then we expected, call it a bad deal if you want but i was ok with it in today’s market. Was nice writing a check for much less then expected.

tony

WKR
So your saying they gave you 10k more than your vehicle was worth?
Its a car dealer, they will screw you one way or another.

No way I'd pay over sticker for a vehicle but all that matters is if you thought you got a good deal.
I looked and looked for the 21 Ranger I bought last year and got it for $1500.00 under sticker. Ended up getting $1000.00 less on my trade than I wanted, but I thought it was a good deal. I am under no illusion they still made money on me.

FLATHEAD

WKR
When I was looking for a new Frontier all the dealers said, when arriving at the lot that the actual price would be at least 3-6K$ more than advertised price I had found on their website. I just laughed at them and said no thanks.
Found my '21 with 6K miles for 5K less than they were advertising the new ones.
No brainer. Figure I saved 10K$.

tdhanses

WKR
So your saying they gave you 10k more than your vehicle was worth?
Its a car dealer, they will screw you one way or another.

No way I'd pay over sticker for a vehicle but all that matters is if you thought you got a good deal.
I looked and looked for the 21 Ranger I bought last year and got it for $1500.00 under sticker. Ended up getting $1000.00 less on my trade than I wanted, but I thought it was a good deal. I am under no illusion they still made money on me.
Sticker doesn’t matter, out of pocket is all that matters in the end, i could careless what the numbers are as long as the overall outcome is what i expect or better if that makes sense. I don’t get hung up on only one number.

Yup they gave $10k more then I expected based on kbb. Not sure how they’ll get me as there are only two numbers, their selling price and amount they’ll give for trade, either works or doesn’t they could mark up a car $100k but if they give me me $110k over what i expect their markup doesn’t mean anything.

Last year I traded a '15 Ram Laramie crew Ecodiesel for '19 Ram Limited crew short box with Ramboxes. I couldn't be happier with how it performed during 9 days in WY last week. The air ride suspension is a must-have and in OR2 I had zero issues with ground clearance on nasty forest service roads (big rocks, washouts, snow, ice, etc...). Last spring I bought some 18" takeoffs and mounted some LT275/70/18 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT and they've been phenomenal on pavement and offroad.

The 5th gen Rams (2019 and newer) have a much larger and even more comfortable cab than the 4th gen, and you can even recline the back seats. In Limited trim I have front and back heated/cooled seats, 19 speaker Harmon Kardon, and 11" infotainment. The retractable running boards are also a nice factory feature and reduce drag on the highway.

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this truck, and 4 of us were able to easily fit 9 days worth of gear in the box even with the Ramboxes.

Future upgrades I'm considering include:
-Skid plates
-Daystar leveling kit (front and rear). This kit includes a 2" spacer for the front and adjustable links for the front and back. Basically it puts the truck at the same height as OR2 when set to "normal" factory ride. When lifting to OR1 or OR2 you get additional clearance.

Last edited:
I had a 2015 Ram Eco diesel that I traded to a dealership for way more than I had in it. In return I got a 2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 that took my payments down to $200 a month from $400. I get the appeal to having a full size truck but I wouldn't trade my truck for anything other than a 4 door Tacoma. Its the same old saying of buy one cry once with a Tacoma in my experience. Side note, I built a redneck version of a decked system for my Taco and it its a hunters dream for storage and camping with a bed topper.
I spent a lot of time under my 2006 Tacoma replacing flat leaf springs, looking at a rusty frame with holes, wondering what I needed to re-engineer next.
No thank you.
My 2015 F150 is ten times the vehicle that the Tacoma was and at 136k, no where near the concerns.
Other than wear items and maintenance, nothing really.
Used Ford 2015 to present with XLT 302A trim and sport package.
Been a great rig and It's probably worth nearly what I paid for it.
I feel sorry for the sucker that bought my old Tacoma for over $13k.
He got screwed.

tony

WKR
I have seen it all!
GF bought a newer Jeep, dealer had on the lot I think it was called a Ram TRX, some sort of raptor style pick up

$121,000
Ill put pics up when I get to my phone

I have seen it all!
GF bought a newer Jeep, dealer had on the lot I think it was called a Ram TRX, some sort of raptor style pick up

$121,000
Ill put pics up when I get to my phone
TRX are one bad a$$ rig with over 700hp. They are the Raptor killer. However, way out of my price range...

There is a a Ford Lightning on the local lot for $99k... SMH...