True North or Magnetic North?

Geewhiz

WKR
d6f.jpg

Um. Be careful saying it doesn't matter. Depending on where you are in the us the difference can be 20* or more. if you are navigating with a map and compass that can mean a big difference in what azimuth you shoot vs what you follow.

not to get all mathy, but if for example you are in western Washington and you want to go 1 mile due north, if you took a magnetic compass heading of 0* and walked a mile, you would end up 1/3 of a mile to the east of where you want to be.

if none of that makes sense, google “declination navigation” and read a few of the how to‘s.

0C693B8F-9A47-4E5F-B3D0-12CAADEBB97B.gif

Last edited:

UncleBone

WKR
I don't use the map like that.
I attempt to orient the map to the terrain.

Then I walk a ways and make sure I'm heading the correct way I want on the map.

What ever compass direction that is it is.
About how I do it too. But Im not charting any super wild courses. I also like to have a reference point other than north. A large peak usually.

Um. Be careful saying it doesn't matter. Depending on where you are in the us the difference can be 20* or more. if you are navigating with a map and compass that can mean a big difference in what azimuth you shoot vs what you follow.

not to get all mathy, but if for example you are in western Washington and you want to go 1 mile due north, if you took a magnetic compass heading of 0* and walked a mile, you would end up 1/3 of a mile to the east of where you want to be.

if none of that makes sense, google “declination navigation” and read a few of the how to‘s.

View attachment 544638

Not talking about a handheld magnetic compass. Your phone doesn't have a metal needle with poled ends.

The compass app isn't any different than an electronic chart plotter. A GPS lat and long is a GPS lat and long.

If I'm going old school, then magnetic is my preference...

Rokbar

WKR

View attachment 544638
I believe most US TOPO maps will list the declination at the bottom. I was stationed at Ft. Campbell, KY. We were told not to worry about the declination. And if you look at the above map I may have been around 1* W??

ozyclint

WKR
GPS on magnetic because the compass is magnetic. If they are both the same it eliminates the chance of making a mistake when using the two together.

Just account for declination when required