True sleeper optics

Okay, let's hear it. True sleeper optics. As in, if they cost 3x as much you would completely understand.

I'll go first:

1) (my fav) Cabelas Outfitter HD 10x42 binoculars: Pretty sure they are the made in the Light Optical Works plant in Japan and they will hang with anything under $1k.

2) Bushnell Legend M 10x42's. My wife swears by her pair and I won't argue. They are stupid good for the $130 I paid. On par with Leupold BX-4's and dare I say Vortex Razors.

3) Opticron scopes and eyepieces: My current favorite is the incredibly affordable MM3 60mm spotter and fixed 23x eyepiece ( a combo that can be had for under $500). Optically it's pushing alpha status and the size and weight is in a class of its own.

4) Weaver (new) K-series 6x38 scope: I've owned three of these and they are incredibly good optically, weigh just 10 oz. and all mine held zero the entire time I owned them. Add to that the fact they could be found for $130 shipped, and they were a no brainer for a budget mountain rifle.

What are your favorite sleepers?

Last edited:

bigbuckdj

WKR
For me it’s the maven B3 8x30, I loved it so much that I’ve bought several and looked through other 8x32 class binos at higher price points and I just haven’t looked through one I preferred.

I’d really like to try the NL pures or the EL 8x32s, I just feel like I’ve tried everything that I’ll realistically spring for is either worse or equal and much more expensive.

Edit: I guess they aren’t really sleepers, I’ve just looked through a lot of 8 power binoculars that cost $1500 and under and I have the mavens. For the weight, fov, sharpness, and cost I just feel like they are an incredible value. I got mine used for like 375 or 400 a couple years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
Newtosavage
For me it’s the maven B3 8x30, I loved it so much that I’ve bought several and looked through other 8x32 class binos at higher price points and I just haven’t looked through one I preferred.

I’d really like to try the NL pures or the EL 8x32s, I just feel like I’ve tried everything that I’ll realistically spring for is either worse or equal and much more expensive.

Edit: I guess they aren’t really sleepers, I’ve just looked through a lot of 8 power binoculars that cost $1500 and under and I have the mavens. For the weight, fov, sharpness, and cost I just feel like they are an incredible value. I got mine used for like 375 or 400 a couple years ago.

Those 8x30 Mavens are really well built. I met a birder who had a pair and asked him if I could spend some time looking through them. Compared to my Conquest HD (8x32) they stood up well in the center of the image.

Good to hear, I was just looking at the Opticion spotters after reading reading about on a birder forum .

Slugz

WKR
Those 8x30 Mavens are really well built. I met a birder who had a pair and asked him if I could spend some time looking through them. Compared to my Conquest HD (8x32) they stood up well in the center of the image.
Gotta chime in here. Agree. Had some in my hands last week. Casper Wy had a small outdoors expo with 15 or so vendors during the fair.
I was really surprised. All postive. They are built like tanks and for the price point pretty dang competitive.

My only concern I need to run down is to ensure the company doesnt vanish like Brunton did in the past. Id like to be able to pass mine down several generations and know they will be warrantied and taken care of.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I think Weaver no longer makes the Ks. I have a Weaver fixed K-4. Optically it is only ok (SWFA 3-9 and fixed 6x are both better), however it has never lost zero. To include after falling on it and traveling. For the $120 or so I payed for it, it is a great scope.

6.5x284

WKR
Pentax pf80ed.

Zeiss conquest 3x9.

Most fujinon porro prism glasses.

Nikon fieldscope ed.

My Pentax Pf80 was excellent. With an astronomy eyepiece it was phenomenal. I’ve moved on but it stacks up extremely well visually with the big guys.

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
Okay, let's hear it. True sleeper optics. As in, if they cost 3x as much you would completely understand.

I'll go first:

1) (my fav) Cabelas Outfitter HD 10x42 binoculars: Pretty sure they are the made in the Light Optical Works plant in Japan and they will hang with anything under $1k.

2) Bushnell Legend M 10x42's. My wife swears by her pair and I won't argue. They are stupid good for the $130 I paid. On par with Leupold BX-4's and dare I say Vortex Razors.

3) Opticron scopes and eyepieces: My current favorite is the incredibly affordable MM3 60mm spotter and fixed 23x eyepiece ( a combo that can be had for under $500). Optically it's pushing alpha status and the size and weight is in a class of its own.

4) Weaver (new) K-series 6x38 scope: I've owned three of these and they are incredibly good optically, weigh just 10 oz. and all mine held zero the entire time I owned them. Add to that the fact they could be found for $130 shipped, and they were a no brainer for a budget mountain rifle.

What are your favorite sleepers?
Any idea on the new Bushnell ultra legend HD 10x42?

Looks like the M series was phased out and turned into these?

Looking for a mid range pair of binos that I won’t have to miss a truck payment for.

OP
Newtosavage
A few father’s days back I bought my dad a set of Meopta meopro 8x42s for right around $375 and wow were they extremely close in quality to my meostar b1s. Imo I think they could easily beat the pants off razors and even conquests. Sadly they have been discontinued and replaced with the ProAir. I’m sure the new version is the same optically just priceyer, but if one were so inclined to scrounge around the internet to find a a new pair of the old ones, then you’ve found yourself a great deal.
I owned three pairs of Meopros and to my eyes, they are typical chinese made bins with great potential but entirely too much distortion. The center sharpness only covered about 30-40% of the image. I sent two pairs back and sold the other one. IMO they are not even close to Conquests but all our eyes are different.

OP
Newtosavage
Any idea on the new Bushnell ultra legend HD 10x42?

Looks like the M series was phased out and turned into these?

Looking for a mid range pair of binos that I won’t have to miss a truck payment for.
bushnell has been making those for quite a while now. They are very successful which is why they keep them around. They are a good value. My buddy has a pair and still likes his, but after looking through my Conquest HD's, he is no longer as high on his busnells as he once was.

The real sleeper from Bushnell is the Legend M's but as you said, they are discontinued and since they are a large form factor open frame, not really the best for daily carry.

Bushnell's original Legend series (non HD) are optically very good. I have a pair of 8x32's that I keep on the window sill near a feeder and they make me smile every time I use them. Sharp as heck but not as bright as my Conquests.