Trying on boots

Sorry, I am sure this has been asked before but I could turn anything up searching.

How are you guys trying out different boots? I am in Ohio so I have limited selection of different brands to try on . We luckily have REI (Lowa, solomon, asolo, zamberlan, La Sportiva) a lot of the brands I see mentioned on here I can't find locally though.

Are you guys just ordering a bunch of boots and sending them back?

manitou1

WKR
The ones that allow you to return or exchange will void that agreement once the boot is worn outside. Unfortunately one doesn't really know for sure how a boot will perform until worn on a few good hikes. It is a crap shoot, but you will be a step ahead of the game if you can try them on and walk around a bit i doors with them. Many do order several pairs, try them inside the house and return the ones that don't suit them.
I am fortunate now (as of this year) to live in the West where there are actually stores that carry multiple top line hunting/hiking bokts I can try before purchasing.

AKaDougie

FNG
-Find a boot you want to try, research if they fit small or large, order what you normally wear and a size up or down from your research.
-Return the pair that doesn't fit right out of box.
-Wear the pair that fits out of box for a few miles on a treadmill and see how they feel. Make a decision to keep or return.
-If you do keep the pair to test further you may have to re-sale them if you end up not liking them.

This past year I did this with three different boots. Had to re-sale one and kept two.

OP
blackbantam
I ordered and got rid of what I didn't want.

What part of Ohio? Maybe https://premieroutdoors.us/outfitters/footwear/mens/ is close to get you a few more options though I don't know what their inventory is.
Thanks for the tip! I'm in northeast Ohio so I'm only about 45 minutes from Millersburg. I'll check it out. I do have a spot to try on Kenetrek, but I haven't seen HanWag before. I'll check it out, thanks.