TSA Case

hoff1ck

WKR
Used the search function and didn’t come up with much, so my apologies if this has already been addressed.

Have been talking with Tom Clum at RMS Gear and recently ordered my first recurve. Planning to head out there the first weekend of December for some coaching with him.

Wondering the best/cheapest way to get my bow and arrows out there? Ship ahead of time? Checked bag? Without the bow I won’t need a checked bag, but open to that if needed. Is there a particular lockable case you guys like for a recurve, or is it better to just pack it in a suitcase with everything else and lock that? I always drive for hunts otherwise so just looking for some options.

Two options.

1. Buy a small, flat, skb style case, and lock it up. I pack my clothes around it to pad. The con with this approach is it will get flagged as a gun on the arrival location and may get taken to a secure location for you to pick up.

2. Pack it in a suitcase. Again use clothes or blanket to pad. I find that using this approach the bow fits fine, but depending on the suitcase the arrows may be too long. Nice thing about this is the bag will show up on the carousel and there is mo need for secure pickup.

Shipping scares me more than the options above. I've lost a bow in the mail, never had a checked bag totally vanish.

Something like this. Some expensive ones will have tsa locks built in. I have a cheaper cabelas brand one that I just put tsa locks on.
Screenshot_20230725_131717_Chrome.jpg

I go the suitcase route. I built this case out of a MTM double arrow case. I can fit my bow, accessories, and a dozen arrows. I also have different foam cut for my recurves. It then goes in the bottom of a wheeled duffle bag and is surrounded with my clothes. Has worked great for me so far.
wXPE4Zr.jpg

Largest duffle in the top of the pic has the bow case and all my clothes.
ZvT8U8j.jpg

I go the suitcase route. I built this case out of a MTM double arrow case. I can fit my bow, accessories, and a dozen arrows. I also have different foam cut for my recurves. It then goes in the bottom of a wheeled duffle bag and is surrounded with my clothes. Has worked great for me so far.
wXPE4Zr.jpg

Largest duffle in the top of the pic has the bow case and all my clothes.
ZvT8U8j.jpg
This is definitely the most discrete.

Since you mentioned cost. My issue with the discreet packing has been that the only bag I own that I can fit my arrows in gets hit with an oversize charge.

I bought the skb medium single bow model. It works great for me because I’m basic and can pack just about everything in the case. Then I take my kifaru minikeg as my carry on.

I pare everything down. If I was to get another one. I’d get the skb medium double bow case. So I could take a second take down bow or some late winter clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk