Two Gun Combination for Multi Species Out to 600yards

Beastmode

WKR
I'll be the weird one out here. For antelope, deer, muley, and black bear I would go with a 243, 30-06 for elk and moose.

Absolutely nothing weird about that. Both are two great cartridges. I have killed many deer with a 243 and 30-06 has probably killed more game than any other round out there, or atleast in the top 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GKPrice

Banned
I STILL don't get the mindset of a smaller caliber for antelope or deer ? What, afraid of killing them too dead ? I've killed quite a few prairie goats with 30.06 / 165 &180 Accubonds then gone back and killed cows out to 500+ with the same gun/load and suffered no ill effects or undue loss of meat - I DO very much advocate a 2nd rifle, set up equally as well as the first because "stuff" happens and mechanical things fail (and humans fall down) As much as any person, I do love a new project or a cool rifle I might run across BUT this thread appears to want to address the practical side of the topic - Even a good shooting 6.5 CM pushing quality bullets, I much prefer bonded core then monolithics, will get the job done, and has, probably not the "best" choice but then.... who's to say ?

fatbacks

WKR
So I have a .300 WSM and have used it for all game in Alaska for years - to include a Sitka Blacktail Deer last weekend with a 180 gr Accubond. Overkill for those deer? Yes. Reassurance when I'm walking through the woods after seeing tracks for a 9' brown bear? Yes. But like the original post I was in the market for a lighter caliber rifle for mountain hunting and smaller game when I am living out of a backpack for 10 days. Having a custom 6.5 CM built right now that will come in at about 5.5 lbs and should be super accurate.

With that quiver of rifles I plan on using my .300 WSM for moose, bear, and deer hunts in bear country. I am going to use my 6.5 CM for mountain hunting for sheep, caribou and goats. Good to have two rifle. I also like the lighter caliber rifle as an option for my wife or my boys when they get old enough to start shooting.

GKPrice

Banned
So I have a .300 WSM and have used it for all game in Alaska for years - to include a Sitka Blacktail Deer last weekend with a 180 gr Accubond. Overkill for those deer? Yes. Reassurance when I'm walking through the woods after seeing tracks for a 9' brown bear? Yes. But like the original post I was in the market for a lighter caliber rifle for mountain hunting and smaller game when I am living out of a backpack for 10 days. Having a custom 6.5 CM built right now that will come in at about 5.5 lbs and should be super accurate.

With that quiver of rifles I plan on using my .300 WSM for moose, bear, and deer hunts in bear country. I am going to use my 6.5 CM for mountain hunting for sheep, caribou and goats. Good to have two rifle. I also like the lighter caliber rifle as an option for my wife or my boys when they get old enough to start shooting.

I am finding the 6.5 CM to be all these things and more, way more capable than it's diminutive size would lead to believe although frangible bullets "might" be a bit of a concern (haven't tried those so I'm not talking from experience ...)

Dirty-D

Lil-Rokslider
300WSM...

Ballistically a 300WM, but weight less in the a short mag action.

Save your $$$$$$ on gun #2 and buy a good scope. Swarovski Z6i or Z8i, S&B, Zeiss V8 something you can dial down to 2x for the close shots, and up to as high as you can for the long ones.

when trying to do what you want from 60 feet to 600 yards, the scope will be more of a factor than the actual cartridge.

Last edited:

cooperjd

WKR
my two primary rifles are a 7RM and .243 for the little stuff. i'm going to get a 6.5c soon for antelope to buck the wind a bit better than the .243. i'll still use my 7RM for everything else. i would not hesitate to shoot a moose with it, but i have a .338 RUM for really big stuff if i ever get to hunt that.

i love my 7RM, and would not hesitate to keep it for a single, do-all rifle. but if i had to choose only one larger rifle and one smaller, i think i agree with the 338 and 270

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
My 300 Win Mag and 9.3x62 Mauser has me covered for close range, mid-range, and long range for most any game I'm ever likely to ever hunt. This would include elk, deer, speed goats, hogs, and all species of bear. Also, these two calibers will work well for a multitude of other game I will likely never have an opportunity to hunt. Probably too much for p-dogs and coyotes but hey, you asked that we limit our selection to two calibers.

topher89

WKR
I think one thing to consider is how much redundancy do you want? If you drop one gun and knock the scope off, do you want to be able to pick up #2 and use it even if it is not the most ideal?

You can go way light and way heavy or you can pick two different, but evenly matched calibers. It just depends what you want

My favorite 2 cals are .270 win and .300WM. I have used 270 for everything up to and including elk (many times) and it is the flattest shooting big game caliber available. I will be bringing it antelope hunting in a month. No need to adjust your scope/point of aim out to 300 yards. For elk out past 400 yards and moose I'd prefer to have a .300WM though. I also have a .300 wby which is awesome, but costs a fortune to shoot.

7-08 and .338 Fed (plus a .223). All Kimber Montanas with Leupold VX2 2-7 x 33 on the first two. Not quite the LR rifles you want but I bowhunt 98% of the time anyway.

My "Choice"

So I’d like to have rifles for antelope, whitetail,
mule deer, black bear, elk and moose.

I figure I can do a great caliber for antelope, whitetail and mule deer, then another for black bear, elk and moose.

I’m sure you could go on both extremes and go a different caliber for all of them or a single caliber for all of them. I’d imagine 2 should do it.

My next quandary is that here in N Idaho, shots are often either 300-600 yards or 20-30 yards. So I’d like to keep in consideration that these rifles should be able to carry energy a long ways, but should also be able to expand at short distances. Perhaps this is more in bullet selection, but I’ve been told that something like a 6.5 Creedmor would be too hot for short range. I don’t know if this is accurate or no
I live in South Idaho and would recommend ONE, really GOOD "accurate" and "SHOOTABLE" Rifle with 2 LOADS ! The 7 mm Rem Mag with 140-150 grain loads for the smaller stuff and 154 to 175 grain for the Moose, Elk ! You can "Build" a Model 700 Rem SPS with a Glass Bedded "Free Floated" Fiberglass B & C stock ( use Factory bbl ! ) Timney Trigger and a 3x9 or 4.5x14 Burris scope for about $1,500.00 ! Mine shoots SUB MOA groups and has very manageable, Recoil ! I would personally use Accubonds or Hornady ELDX Bullets in the 154 to 168 range to do "IT",.. all ( as Dead, is DEAD ! ). PS the 6.5 Creed is maybe a 400 yard Max Cal for Elk and the 7 MM Mag. will reach out to 700-800 yds, IF you can "DO" your part ! the .300 -.338 Mags KICK too hard for me so,..SOLD my, Custom L-H .338 ! Good luck

Beware the ONE Gun Guy,.. he probably, KNOWS how to shoot it,.. is GOOD, advice !
And the .30-06 would be my second "choice" of Cal's as, many have stated. Recoil, is the ENEMY of, good shooting.
There is NOTHING the 06, .280 or, 7 MM Mag. won't kill at any,.. "reasonable" Hunting range with the right Bullet ! As stated, I sold my custom built .338 Win Mag and my son is selling his .300 WSM as,.. THEY kick too, much to,..ENJOY, shooting !

bates

WKR
I really like a 280 Ackley if looking for just one gun.

But also think a 300wsm or 300 win mag would fit to bill.

to me the real benefit of 2 guns is setting them up differently

a lighter handier gun in some sort of 6.5 and up to 280 ai is a great little handy carrying rifle and with the right optic still capable of taking game past 600. ie 6.5 creed, 6.5-284, 280ai and similar variants

i then see the need for maybe a gun with a little more mass and optics nothing super heavy but a larger rifle chambered in say 300 mag, 30 nosler etc a longer range heavy hitter

that would be a great 2 gun combo...

?? then where does the 270 WSM fall in line ?

Better in some ways and worse in others. Ballistically better and flatter, but as with most magnums there are downsides like worse kick, longer barrels and overall heavier rifle. Also, after my experiences with my .300 wby I would hesitate to get a caliber that's less popular for a minor increase in ballistic performance. It sucks going to the store and having at most 1-2 options for ammo and you're paying 150-300% more than the more popular calibers.

rbljack

WKR
Been thinking about this myself, I currently have a few different rifles, but I think the way to go is a a lightweight (7-7.5 lbs all up) short action like a 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, or .308 with a 20" #1 barrel and something like a Leupold 1-4 or 1-5, paired with a medium weight (8-8.5 lbs all up), long or magnum action like a .280, .30-06, 7mm mag, or .300 Win Mag with a 24" #2 barrel and a Leupold 3-9 or 2-10. Preferences depend on your recoil tolerance and ability to share bullets in 7mm or .30 caliber if that matters to you.

The nice thing about a pair of rifles like that is having a suitable backup or loaner rifle for most situations, but being different enough to make it worth having 2 guns.

X2..the smaller caliber in a lightweight mtn rifle in 7mm-08, and the 300 win mag for the larger gun is what I thought of when considering this set up of a "2 gun set up" assuming we were talking rifles only. But I guess I should mention that I don't think I would take the 7mm-08 out to that long range of 600 yards. Id stay inside 400 and have to try and sneak in a bit closer than the 600 you mentioned or hope they come in on their own.

Although there are lots of other options out there, I would want ammo that is readily available as well. The problem with the 300 win mag as a one gun option might be meat damage on the smaller sized deer and antelope IMO.

Last edited: