Two guns to end them all?

Kmarkwardt

Lil-Rokslider
I’m going the same route. Headed for two stainless Tikka T3x’s. One in 6.5 creedmoor and the other in .300wsm. Currently have the creedmoor and love it. Just need to pull the trigger on the bigger caliber. I’ll be getting a brake put on the .300.

OP
NoobHunter
I’m going the same route. Headed for two stainless Tikka T3x’s. One in 6.5 creedmoor and the other in .300wsm. Currently have the creedmoor and love it. Just need to pull the trigger on the bigger caliber. I’ll be getting a brake put on the .300.

I thought about the 300wsm for a while. I think I'm going with the 30-06 because of the spectrum of bullets available. I also think I might move away from the 6.5 and go down to a .243.
Have you used a brake on a hunting rifle before? I heard it can affect accuracy.

Cdeder

FNG
My suggestion would be to start with one rifle in a smaller/ affordable to shoot caliber with good glass. Become proficient and confident with it. I've found that even though I have a moderate selection of rifles in various calibers I have my 1 go to rifle because I know how it shoots and I'm very confident shooting it. Everyone will have their opinion about calibers. Most medium sized cartridges will do what you need. I'd recommend saving the money you'd spend on a second rifle and get into reloading. You'll save a lot of money loading your own premium ammo at bargain prices. Then just get out and start shooting.

I do like 6.5 creed's but my go to is 7mm rem mag. I wouldn't be shooting it as much if it weren't for reloading though. Premium ammo can run about $50-60 a box. Reloading similar rounds runs ~$14 a box if you have the reloading equipment.

OP wasn't asking for advice on his next boat anchor, he was asking for two rifle calibers that would cover all NA game.
Montana X3 are pretty light. Right at 7lbs configures in those calibers with a brake. If that’s considered a boat anchor people must be getting pretty weak these days. I’ve packed my Weatherby 338-378 up mountains on multiple hunts now and it’s a fair bit heavier than an X3. Sheep, goat, etc. I’m fact, that’s what I’m packing in my profile pic.

slowelk

WKR
Montana X3 are pretty light. Right at 7lbs configures in those calibers with a brake. If that’s considered a boat anchor people must be getting pretty weak these days. I’ve packed my Weatherby 338-378 up mountains on multiple hunts now and it’s a fair bit heavier than an X3. Sheep, goat, etc. I’m fact, that’s what I’m packing in my profile pic.

No, I'm saying a boat anchor is about all I'd use a MRC product for.

No, I'm saying a boat anchor is about all I'd use a MRC product for.
Ahhh, I have a V2 in 375 H&H I Kant had reamed to Weatherby and it’s been a pretty solid rifle. Very accurate, feeds great, great trigger and so on. I’ve heard people complain about them, though.

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
I've never handled one before, but a Winchester Coyote Light looks interesting & would pack a punch in 325 WSM.

OP
NoobHunter
just an update on what I’ve purchased so far. Being an over thinker it’s taking me some time to figure out what I want, but then I came across this guy on Gunpost and couldn’t pass it up. It’s a Tikka T3 Lite Hunter in 30-06. It came with a bipod, ammo holder, limb saver, a cheaper Burris scope and 160 rounds(80 are Hornady Superformance). All for $800cdn which I thought was pretty dang good. Now I have some extra money to invest in a good scope. Thanks again for everybody’s input. Time to go to the range and have some fun and then go hunting. D91C9B74-82E0-4148-8368-9C2B1147BA9A.jpeg07368719-ECBF-4460-9DFA-C7AA3AEA20E4.jpeg

16Bore

WKR
Boom, that’s a good deal. I’d flip that forward base if it were me. You keeping the wood? I don’t think they are hard to sell.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Good choice on the Tikka .30-06. That’s a great bear and moose rifle regardless of what some guys will tell you. It’s also a really nice cartridge for elk.

For your “everything else” rig I highly recommend one of the 6.5 calibers. I’ve personally shot the .260 for a long time and have had amazing results with it. I have a longer range rig in 6.5 PRC as well. If you want to stick to the Tikka platform you can’t go wrong with a T3X Superlite Stainless. Under 6 lbs for the bare rifle and shoots fantastic.

KHNC

WKR
Or, you could just get a 300 WSM or 300WM and a .17HMR. No need for two fat centerfires.

OP
NoobHunter
If Tikka ever makes a 6CM you’re shitting in high cotton.
I had to look that phrase up. Not too much cotton up here in Canada haha.
Is the forward base on backwards?
I like the wood look so I’ll probably keep it as is. The whole set up is a little heavier than I thought it would be though. It comes in at 9.4 pounds as is. I thought that was a little heavy seeing as it’s the T3 Lite version. I’m also thinking about swapping out the scope and putting on a VX5.
A 6CM I think would be perfect. I was looking at a 6.5 but I was told they’re very similar to 30-06 so I’m not sure what the point of that would be.

OP
NoobHunter
Tikka 6.5 CM
Tikka .300 WM

Anything but Vortex on top. LOL
I was thinking about that exact set up, but I got such a good deal on this package that I couldn’t pass it up. Now I’m thinking about a Tikka .243 for everything else. I’m probably gonna put a Leopold VX5 on top of this one.