two questions about moose camp for a DIY

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I was camping this weekend with a buddy and we're headed to hunt moose next year in alaska and I have never heard someone snore that loud in my life! ha Any tips or tricks to keep him quite besides a pillow over the face? i'm worried the moose will think we have a bear in camp.
Second question is how many of you guys choose to have a fire in camp or in the teepee?

Nontyp

FNG
Ear plugs

We had a fire in the evenings and early am in the tipi and I killed my moose 1/2 mi from camp.

cubguy

FNG
The importance of keeping a quiet camp is something too many people ignore when hunting moose. They will never know the opportunities lost in the process of attempting to do so. Good luck on your hunt!

We had a fire almost every day in camp. We had moose come from 3 different directions to within a couple hundred yards from camp, so in my limited experience a fire isn't too much of a deterrent to them and it helps with morale. We also used a box stove in the tipi every morning.
For the snoring, see if your partner can experiment with some mouth guards, nose strips, etc. prior to the trip to see if anything works. Also go to sleep before he does. If those don't work, soft ear plugs or even air pods with a white noise app on your phone might help.

The snoring noise is negligible on moose. I'd personally tell him to bring his own 1p tent.

Fires will have no impact on moose. The ability to have one will depend on location so it’s a question worth asking if you plan to rely on it. I can think of a couple years we simply could not have found enough wood to have a small stove fire if we wanted to. So I prefer a propane stove if weight allows. We've had a total of two fires over several years of moose hunting. Both were after all tags were filled. There's enough light to hunt from about 7am to 10pm in early/mid September. Doesn't leave much time to sit around a fire, at least it’s far from a priority for me.

Couple pics of last year's camp for reference. Would've been a cold and wet one if we were relying on wood to light the tent stove each day. The short willow would’ve been the only wood option.
E4A7BB9E-910D-4704-A35A-EB19307A4E2E.jpeg
3DF48465-6500-4281-A679-B4904FB0C128.jpeg

make sure you get to sleep first otherwise it will be a long night

tough call with ear plugs, there might be other thing you want to hear before they tear into your tent

Scottf270

WKR
Guess I am just different, someone snoring or some extra noise never bothers me. I'm usually tired from a long day glassing.

I have only had a fire after the camp is killed out. I don't know that it would hurt, just never needed one and while I like the smell, don't want it in my clothes for 7 to 10 days.

We run a quiet camp also. I like them close to the pick up spot. May be a boring way to hunt, but the 100 yard pack outs are worth it!

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Quiet camp, except for when breaking or chopping firewood (which at times can be a good moose call). I’m usually too tired to make a fire at night and like to be hunting at first light, which allows little for sleep. After my moose is down, I’m too busy packing to worry about a fire. Smoke smell doesn’t affect the moose when hunting burn areas, twenty to thirty years after the fire, the area still smells like smoke.

Thess87

WKR
I’m a light sleeper so a partner that snores with me, they better sleep on the next ridge.

Pop a Benadryl and make sure to fall asleep before him haha

The first time up there, we had a fire almost every evening. We did not get much rain that trip so firewood was easy to come by. My uncle shot his bull early in the hunt so some days he would stay behind for the morning or evening hunt and keep the fire going.

This past season we never lit a single fire. For one, once it started raining it didn't hardly ever stop. Two, we never really had/took the time to have a fire. We would leave the tent before sunrise, come back in the afternoon for a quick nap then back out again until after dark. It gets dark so late out there, by the time we got back, all I wanted to do was eat my dinner as fast as I could and fall asleep so I could do it all over again the next day.

Next year, I plan on stashing a little firewood in our gear tent the first day, that way if we do make the time for a fire, we'll have some dry stuff to burn.

Last edited:

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What Nick said

plus Ribinhood ain't wrong about the benadryl and going to sleep before the snorer. I'm that guy for my partner and he hits an ambien before i lay it down. BUT he usually wakes up only to the sound of my rifle from just outside the tent. Scares him every time and I laugh EVERY time.

Seeknelk

WKR
Bring lots of ear plugs. I wouldn't think of doing at trip like that without them. Chances are I may not use them but having plenty of my own kids I know their value. They put me in my own cocoon

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
I spent a lot of nights out with my buddy rambo. Guy could drop a qt of whiskey n snore like crazy. We were camped on a beach out getting our years supply fishing halibut for a few days. Guy 4 tents down owned the boat n whined all day about not getting sleep. Ain't none of us perfect. I know I wouldn't want folks to do that to me.
Fires n snores having been a problem. Bring some cigars n something n have a great time. Best of wishes n welcome from ak

LoggerDan

WKR
Fires are A-OK! Stick close to camp. Do t stomp around too much too far. Bulls will show up for the calls, but it takes em awhile.

ear plugs. Not just for your log cutting pal, but so you don’t hear every little noise at night and think it’s a bear!

nick2021

FNG
I’d advocate to have the guy bring his own tent….bad enough you will be out there for an extended time frame. Having your own tent is worth its weight in gold