Uhaul Rental for scouting trip?

I was lucky enough to draw a New Mexico elk tag this year and plan to go down for a scouting trip sometime this summer. I’ve heard in the past that some guys have used uhaul trucks as an alternative to rental cars. The uhaul rental is INSANELY cheaper. Does anyone who has done this before have any advice on what the pros and cons are? From a money standpoint it seems to be a no brainer…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you could find a way to keep from cooking in the back you’d have a camper of sorts 🤘

Me and my dad rent their bigger trailer each year to haul the fourwheeler and all sorts of un needed camp extras. Its cheap and super convenient. Havent tried an actual truck from them though. But always a cheap postive experience with trailers.

Id suggest maybe taking a walk around video though in case the person before you damaged something that went un noticed so you dont catch the repair fees.

Just asking but when you look at the price is there a daily rate PLUS mileage? Their daily rates are insanely cheap but the usually make their money from mileage rates in my experience.

Last edited:

TX_Diver

WKR
I did something similar with the intent to camp in the back in Utah last year.

What I didn't consider before hand was that those fleets are not kept clean like normal rental cars. This thing was filthy... I swung by home depot and grabbed a sheet of plywood to sleep on.

Ended up getting a goat on the first day and it was a non-issue as I just drove back to town with it, but it was convenient... They plywood I got came in handy during butchering too.

v7hZqzOh.jpg

Wellsdw

WKR
I f’d up a rental car in Wyoming and a had to rent a uhaul(because) it was the only option close by. It was expensive to go anywhere. That said it was a 15-16’ footer.

Don K

Lil-Rokslider
Long term rental, pickup or van is good and they give you plenty of mileage. I have used a pickup and towed my trailer out west had no issues at all. The pickups come with a hitch, the vans do not. Look at weekly and monthly long term on their website