UL tarp for shelter while glassing

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Someone here has to have found the perfect tarp. Scenario is a tarp light enough to stay in the daypack, and big enough to sit under and hide from weather while glassing. I have so many specific tarps, and none seem to be perfect for this specific scenario. Also, maybe someone else has a better deployment of tarp rather than cordage and trekking poles?
Seems dyneema would be much lighter, but doesn't pack down anywhere near as small as silnylon so thats another factor.
Would love to see a photo if available-thanks (y)

Zpacks maks some dyneema ones that ive been eyeballin super hard along with a couple other things but they're just the typical cord and trekking pole setup

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've tried some smaller tarps (5x5, 5x7') and have concluded they are too small. I think you need something big enough to have decent overhead coverage AND the ability to pull in the sides.

Maybe something along the lines of Kifaru's sheep tarp????

OP
Team4LongGun

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I've tried some smaller tarps (5x5, 5x7') and have concluded they are too small. I think you need something big enough to have decent overhead coverage AND the ability to pull in the sides.

Maybe something along the lines of Kifaru's sheep tarp????
Same here-had a klymyt roamer 5x7 that I thought was gonna finally be the one. Not big enough, and a pain to tie off

OP
Team4LongGun

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
thanks mtwarden-that looks like what I'm after. And now that I see its half the weight of the DST, its a no brainer

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got an ENO profly tarp I plan to keep in my pack for those times. It’s pretty compact but does weigh #1.6. But since i have two of these laying around it will save me from buying a new tarp.

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
It's not UL really but at 1.2lbs it's not super heavy either: https://dutchwaregear.com/product/wide-rectangle-tarp/

Been looking at getting one after I saw it on a recent Bushcraft USA thread.

Edit: Just noticed they do actually offer an Ultralight version, although weight isn't listed.

14.2 oz is the ultralight rectangle tarp.

Exactly why I carry a Sheep Tarp with me every trip. It’s shade, emergency shelter, make shift poncho and pack cover. Way too versatile to leave out of my pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Team4LongGun

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Thank you all for the great suggestions. I have a few months to play in my woods and dial it in (y)

rclouse79

WKR
Just get a 10x10 tarp and a light weight bivy. For fall hunting that should be all you would need for glassing or overnights.

Ranger619

WKR
I have a 5x9' Bear Paw Wilderness tarp. They are $65. I did have a couple extra tie outs added.

Nice Dyneema tarp in classifieds.

I have a 6x9 from jimmy tarps I like.

I also own some dyneema tArps. Half the weight, 3x the price. They have their fans and their place but for a glassing tarp, there are easier and cheaper to cut 4-6 oz out of your pack.

OP
Team4LongGun

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I really like dyneema, but I prob go against the grain and prefer a tarp to be half the size and twice the weight. For a daypack, I’ll take the extra ounces for the extra room. Most of the dyneema tarps I’ve seen are more than 4x the size

OP
Team4LongGun

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I have a 6x9 from jimmy tarps I like.

I also own some dyneema tArps. Half the weight, 3x the price. They have their fans and their place but for a glassing tarp, there are easier and cheaper to cut 4-6 oz out of your pack.

I can’t find the “jimmy tarp” you mentioned. Have a link?

On a side note, I did find an old thread where the forum police were alive and well even 5 years ago-had a good laugh 😆

Seems like He may be hiding right now. he had a site and sold on eBay too. I guess any decent sil tarp will do.