Ultralight 7-08 options?

BlakeJ

FNG
I'm looking for options on an ultralight 7-08 rifle. Something 18" that I can put a lightweight can on. A kimber Adirondack would be the best option, but they are hard to find and over 2k when you do find them. I'm looking a a savage 110 lightweight storm, chopping/threading and swapping stocks. Any other ideas? Thanks.

grfox92

WKR
Howa superlight. They only show 308 and 6.5cm on the website, but 7mm-08 and .243 are coming out this year.

That would be my choice over the Savage.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

OP
B

BlakeJ

FNG
What weight are you trying to hit? This is a 7mm-08 I just put together for a buddy. Tikka action, 18” carbonsix sendero, stockys vg2.

You could drop 2-3 more ounces by using their sporter stock.

View attachment 547127
Looking to try to get to that five pound bare rifle weight. Things add up quick with a can and scope.

TxLite

WKR
Looking to try to get to that five pound bare rifle weight. Things add up quick with a can and scope.
I don’t think the savage gets you to 5 flat. If you’re just going for sub 6 then I think the Tikka would be a better action. Slap a 3-9 accupoint on it and call it a day.

OP
B

BlakeJ

FNG
Yeah I wish I could find out what the savage barreled action weighs.
I don’t think the savage gets you to 5 flat. If you’re just going for sub 6 then I think the Tikka would be a better action. Slap a 3-9 accupoint on it and call it a day.

Veloci_Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
I would consider a Howa barreled action from Brownell's, and throw it into a Stocky's carbon stock. That would probably get you just above 5 pounds.

OP
B

BlakeJ

FNG
Is that gel all the way towards the butt of the stock? Might not be bad as a counterweight for a suppressor

TN2shot07

WKR
5 flat is a hard ask in a cheap factory gun, Christensen fft is 5.5 with a 20 inch barrel. I’ve shot one in 6.5 prc and it was a sweet little set up.

You might also watch gun broker for one of the model seven’s with an 18 inch barrel. That’s the route I went but it’s around that 5.5-6 lb mark

5 flat is a hard ask in a cheap factory gun, Christensen fft is 5.5 with a 20 inch barrel. I’ve shot one in 6.5 prc and it was a sweet little set up.

You might also watch gun broker for one of the model seven’s with an 18 inch barrel. That’s the route I went but it’s around that 5.5-6 lb mark
This was my thought as well... been enjoying my ridgeline FFT (7 PRC). They seem to handle recoil really well and are comfortable for me. A 7-08 Ridgeline would be on my shortlist.

KenLee

WKR
4 posts in. Pick his brain.

WCB

WKR
Yeah I wish I could find out what the savage barreled action weighs.
I could pull my wife's 7-08 lady hunter out of the stock and get you an idea. Not sure when they changed the bolt on them but hers has the Fluted bolt like the lightweight storm and is a 20" light contour barrel...essentially the same as the lightweight storm just not stainless and a wood stock.

Also, don't tell any of the haters here but my wife's 7mm-08 must of not got the memo it sucked because it has killed tuck loads of animals...shoots bug holes, and have not had 1 issue through 300rds or so. For that matter neither have any of out other 6 savage rifles of various calibers each with a minimum of 250-300 rds through them.

TxLite

WKR
Fantastic build, nice job!
Do happen to have weights for the individual components?
I didn’t weight the exact components used on this rifle but I have a nearly identical one built in 7mm PRC that I weighed the action and stock for.
The stock used on the PRC came in at 24.6oz. Tikka actions with bottom metal come in around 30oz. The one pictured below is stainless and so it might vary slightly but came in at 33.5oz with the magazine installed and before I fluted it. Didn’t end up weighing it after fluting. So that leaves around 35oz(ish) for the barrel.

17858D90-8DEC-469C-A341-1E350C61B8A3.jpeg
1F3C1ECA-D9A9-42AD-911C-0131F7A007E4.jpeg

ElPollo

WKR
I would consider a Howa barreled action from Brownell's, and throw it into a Stocky's carbon stock. That would probably get you just above 5 pounds.
Howas have a lot of weight in the action because they are flat bottomed. Most of the barreled actions are also a #2 contour, so it highly unlikely you are going to get below 6# with one of these. I have a short action with a #2 barrel cut to 16.5” and threaded that is in a Peak 44 carbon stock. It comes in right at 6# sans scope and rings. Nice gun but not a ultralight.

ElPollo

WKR
I didn’t weight the exact components used on this rifle but I have a nearly identical one built in 7mm PRC that I weighed the action and stock for.
The stock used on the PRC came in at 24.6oz. Tikka actions with bottom metal come in around 30oz. The one pictured below is stainless and so it might vary slightly but came in at 33.5oz with the magazine installed and before I fluted it. Didn’t end up weighing it after fluting. So that leaves around 35oz(ish) for the barrel.

View attachment 547234
View attachment 547231
I wish Stocky’s would have given that stock a bit of negative comb. It still looks pretty nice though.

Veloci_Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
Howas have a lot of weight in the action because they are flat bottomed. Most of the barreled actions are also a #2 contour, so it highly unlikely you are going to get below 6# with one of these. I have a short action with a #2 barrel cut to 16.5” and threaded that is in a Peak 44 carbon stock. It comes in right at 6# sans scope and rings. Nice gun but not a ultralight.
Yeah, I was speculating from the perspective that my Howa mini-action with 18” barrel would be right at 5 lbs with the Stocky’s sporter stock. I was assuming the short action would only be a few ounces heavier.