Ultralight hunting rifle

TheGDog

WKR
Does anybody have any experience with this new Howa Superlite model that comes in 6.5cm or .308win?

It started showing up in Turners ads out here in CA. They're showing it at 4Lbs 7oz.

I keep my extra ammo, 8 rounds, in Velcro loops on my bino pouch.
So, honest question then (not trying to sound flippant here); since you are already hauling that half pound of ammo up the hill anyways, why not have those ounces attached to your rifle stock somewhere, so that it helps reduce the recoil (Same principle as using a heavier rifle to begin with) as such, a 5.5lb rifle would kick like a 6lb rifle. Running the numbers, it looks like every 8oz of weight you add to a lightweight 260 would reduce recoil energy by 1 foot pound. (15ft lbs vs 16ft lbs).

z987k

WKR
Does anybody have any experience with this new Howa Superlite model that comes in 6.5cm or .308win?

It started showing up in Turners ads out here in CA. They're showing it at 4Lbs 7oz.

That's actually quite impressive. Too bad it's not stainless.

That's lighter than their mini action. I'd like to actually see it.

atmat

WKR
So, honest question then (not trying to sound flippant here); since you are already hauling that half pound of ammo up the hill anyways, why not have those ounces attached to your rifle stock somewhere, so that it helps reduce the recoil (Same principle as using a heavier rifle to begin with) as such, a 5.5lb rifle would kick like a 6lb rifle. Running the numbers, it looks like every 8oz of weight you add to a lightweight 260 would reduce recoil energy by 1 foot pound. (15ft lbs vs 16ft lbs).
I’m not the person you asked this question to. But weight in your pack or attached to your person is different than weight in the hand. I do spend a lot of time carrying my rifle off my pack.

z987k

WKR

Found 1 review on it.
Looks like it comes in about 1/4 pound heavier than advertised and has the same awful fit and finish of every other Howa. A $300 gun that costs $1200.

The zipper sound of the bolt he talks about is why I couldn't bring myself to buy a mini awhile ago at the store. It's just such aweful machine work, bolt cycles like crap and the sound of it is annoying and just constantly reminds you it's a poorly machined action. Looks like on this one the bolt actually hits the stock when cycling it as well.

I’m not the person you asked this question to. But weight in your pack or attached to your person is different than weight in the hand. I do spend a lot of time carrying my rifle off my pack.
Not me, I've got to have my hands free, (or at least have my trekking staff in one hand) unless I'm on a direct stalk. I use a gunbearer-like carrying option that puts my rifle in front of me, and it's supported from my backpack hipstrap, and I can deploy just as quickly as if it were slung on my shoulder. So... weight is weight to me, it's all ounces on my feet.

SDHNTR

WKR
1. Because that weight is easier to carry evenly distributed via my bino harness. 2. Because weight on the back of the rifle upsets the balance of a light rifle when I don’t have a can or something hanging off the front to offset it. 3. Because a .260 doesn’t need the recoil reduction.

To each his own.

However my point was merely that if your intent is to add two pounds to your rifle so that it is easier to shoot well, there are plenty of ounces that can be added that add functionality rather than just extra dead weight.

As to why run an Arca rail AND a bipod??

Kind of goes to your balance issue. With a full length arca rail, I can position my arca compatible bipod anywhere along the rail to achieve my optimal balance. Likewise, I have the option to mount to a tripod for some types of hunting scenarios.

Again though, not saying that everyone should run Arca on their hunting rigs, just pointing out that adding 3oz of rail might be more useful than a thicker/heavier profile barrel to add weight (or whatever else you get to make up the difference in weight between a 7.5lb bare rifle and a 5.5lb bare rifle)

That said... even with your no frills approach, let's take the ever popular swfa 3-9x42, put the ultralight NF rings and a ti base, that is nearly 30oz there alone. Add a couple ounces of a lightweight muzzle brake, ammo sleeve on the stock, and a couple scope caps... you are up to about 42oz... no bipod, no rail, no sling, etc. But all in the 5.5lb rifle will weigh over 8lbs. The 7.5lb rifle will weigh over 10lbs.

Now... I'll nip the next question in the bud... why do I need 3 rounds in the mag plus 8 in the ammo pouch? Only need one bullet to kill your elk right? Well, at least when I hunt, I've got at least one other newbie hunter with me, so between our two tags... thats at least 2 bullets. I also carry two wolf tags, a bear tag, a lion tag, and depending on the situation I could take a coyote during the same hunt. Often our elk hunts overlap a deer hunt... I've never been lucky enough to see all those critters in the same hunting trip... but I just know that the day I leave the truck with just 3 rounds I'm my rifle will be the day I see them all lined up laughing at me from 100 yards away. I might as well have the extra ammo attached to the rifle instead of in my pocket... thus the additional weight on the rifle makes it that much more shootable.
I have really become a weight weenie. I work out all year, try to hike once a week, yet I still would never put extra rounds on my rifle in a carrier cause that cloth is extra weight when I can carry those in my pocket. I have even removed the stud mounts on my gun since I use a gun bearer.
My point is to all of this is realizing that my obsessions about weight is likely not healthy after reading your post. BTW - just received the Seekins Precision Havak Element at 5.5 lbs!

Here is a very light option that was just annouced:

SA 5.4 lbs - LA 5.7 lbs
If it had a higher comb and more of a vertical grip like the element in your last post... I might be really interested. But for now, I like my seekins havak element. A close second in that price range is taking a Christensen Ridgeline titanium barreled action and putting it in an hnt26 stock. Ends up about the same weight.

Long Cut

WKR
Tikkas are good for the $500-900 price point.

Start getting into $1,300-1,600+ range and I’m thinking CA, Savage Ultralite, Weatharby Mark V, Kimber Montana etc...

Tikkas are good for the $500-900 price point.

Start getting into $1,300-1,600+ range and I’m thinking CA, Savage Ultralite, Weatharby Mark V, Kimber Montana etc...
My factory tikkas shoot as well as the Ridgelines, savage ultralights, and kimbers I've owned... can't speak to the weatherbys... but put the tikka in a chassis, and they tend to shoot better than factory options in the $1300-1600 range in my experience.

I have really become a weight weenie. I work out all year, try to hike once a week, yet I still would never put extra rounds on my rifle in a carrier cause that cloth is extra weight when I can carry those in my pocket. I have even removed the stud mounts on my gun since I use a gun bearer.
My point is to all of this is realizing that my obsessions about weight is likely not healthy after reading your post. BTW - just received the Seekins Precision Havak Element at 5.5 lbs!
I've been there! Every gram counts! However, I've come to realize over the years that shedding grams and ounces for the sake of it will give you diminished returns eventually. Now a days I've decided that I'm fine adding weight if it adds real functionality that makes me safer, faster, or otherwise more efficient in the woods. For example... I survived for many years without a GPS communication device... but now I don't leave home without my garmin inreach mini... because it gives my wife peace of mind, and has come in useful more times than not. It's a few extra ounces... and I'd be lighter weight without it... but it's a worthwhile addition to my kit.

It's the same for other additions I've made... I used to run with just binos... but now I find more game when I haul my kowa 554 spotter. It's increased my effectiveness, even though it cost me some ounces. A bare bones rifle is good for me out to 300/400 yards, but extras I've added over the years like rails, better stocks, bipods, dialable turrets, suppressors have made it easier for me to take shots out to 600. Again I'm adding effectiveness... and every ounce is still weighed against its possible utility in the field.

But everything within reason of course... just because I can justify the weight of a spotting scope in my kit, doesn't mean I can necessarily justify a 90 power scope when a 45 power scope does what I need it to do. Just because I can justify a few extras on my rifle doesn't mean I shouldn't find the lightest/but yet most effective options there as well (ie the difference in weight between a 3 oz spartan and a 16 ounce Harris bipod... both perform the same function... but the weight difference adds up quickly). I would bet that weight conscious as I am, I am still lighter-weight with my total kit than many are with just the basics.

Long Cut

WKR
My factory tikkas shoot as well as the Ridgelines, savage ultralights, and kimbers I've owned... can't speak to the weatherbys... but put the tikka in a chassis, and they tend to shoot better than factory options in the $1300-1600 range in my experience.

A Savage Ultralite with the Proof Research barrel will outshoot any Tikka.

Tikka’s are great guns don’t get me wrong, but for $1,400 (Tikka Roughtech) I’m buying the Savage with the Proof barrel.

Tikka’s are great guns don’t get me wrong, but for $1,400 (Tikka Roughtech) I’m buying the Savage with the Proof barrel.
Not the one i owned. And I'm not a fan of the finicky accutrigger or non external bolt release, or the flimsy stock. I do like the proof on it though.

TheHammer

WKR

Part of this is laughable and the other part I agree wholeheartedly with. I’m probably one of the biggest 110 proponents on here. What’s funny is the 3rd least accurate rifle I ever owned was an ultralight in 28nosler… worst was a christenson in 7mag. My tikka in 300wsm was every bit as accurate as most of my 110s (I did not like that rifle and I can’t stand how a tikka feels, nor do I care for them) but it was very accurate.

Long Cut

WKR
Not the one i owned. And I'm not a fan of the finicky accutrigger or non external bolt release, or the flimsy stock. I do like the proof on it though.

So toss a Carbon Fiber Stocky’s on it and get it bedded, little trigger work and you’re in pretty good shape.

For the money that’s a good lightweight shooter.

Long Cut

WKR
Part of this is laughable and the other part I agree wholeheartedly with. I’m probably one of the biggest 110 proponents on here. What’s funny is the 3rd least accurate rifle I ever owned was an ultralight in 28nosler… worst was a christenson in 7mag. My tikka in 300wsm was every bit as accurate as most of my 110s (I did not like that rifle and I can’t stand how a tikka feels, nor do I care for them) but it was very accurate.
You probably got a dud because every group I’ve seen from the Proof barrelled 110’s have been Sub MOA.

I’m in agreeance I held several Tikka’s and did not care for the feel/stock whatsoever. I prefer the 110’s heck even a Ruger American over the Tikka stock. Tikka’s actions are freaking butter though

So toss a Carbon Fiber Stocky’s on it and get it bedded, little trigger work and you’re in pretty good shape.

For the money that’s a good lightweight shooter.
But then you are into it over $2k... puts it into the price range of a seekins havak element if you find a deal... which would be lighter and more accurate. Even in the range of a tikka action with a carbon prefit barrel in the clambering and twist of your choice, plus a stock. Then you also get the smoothness of the tikka along with everything else.