Unit 19 Colorado

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some info on unit 19 in Colorado. Midwest whitetail guy that moved to CO last year. Any suggestions would be great. Unfortunately I don't have 4x4 and looking for some advice on access points. We've been getting some snow this week, so I'm not sure how far I'll be able to get in on the southern or northern end of the unit. This is my first year elk hunting, so I'm not looking to kill a trophy, just hoping to find some elk and get some action! I hunted mule deer hard the last 2 weeks in 191, so I'm feeling in pretty good shape (embarrassingly I missed 2 bucks), so I'm not opposed to putting in some miles. I was hunting pretty far west in 191 and never saw a single sign of elk (did see a giant Moose), so as of last week they weren't that far down yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There are tons of Colorado hunters here. Resident and non resident. The challenge is that if information is posted on a specific unit on a public forum like this, that unit gets demolished for years to come by every person "cyber scouting" across the internet.

OP
M

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
No , exactly the opposite, there are a LOT of them. Sharing this type of info publicly only invites many others seeking.
Word. Well maybe someone will PM me. I have a call into a biologist in the area, so hoping to speak to him this week as well.

cnelk

WKR
I can see Unit 19 sitting here right now.
Without having a 4WD its gonna pretty difficult to get up into where you want to go.
Not because of snow levels, but because of icy roads. The recent snow will turn to ice with all the traffic and sliding off the road is a real thing.

As you know, the north end is Poudre Canyon, the south end is the Buckhorn area.
The unit is popular, does it have elk? Sure.

Good luck

Depending on weather or road conditions, give County Road 63E a try. This isn't a secret by any means and is quite popular. You will see signs on Hwy 14 for National Forest access and Pingree Park.

cnelk

WKR
Depending on weather or road conditions, give County Road 63E a try. This isn't a secret by any means and is quite popular. You will see signs on Hwy 14 for National Forest access and Pingree Park.

His non4wd vehicle isnt gonna like those first switchbacks coming off Hwy14 going up to Pingree.
They are on the northslope and dont get any sun.

Be safe if you go.

Dmartin88

FNG
I've hunted unit 19 two years in a row now... tag soup. but not because I didn't see elk. where there is dark timber there will probably be elk... good luck getting anyone to reveal their honey hole tho!

Lirwin

FNG
Looking for some info on unit 19 in Colorado. Midwest whitetail guy that moved to CO last year. Any suggestions would be great. Unfortunately I don't have 4x4 and looking for some advice on access points. We've been getting some snow this week, so I'm not sure how far I'll be able to get in on the southern or northern end of the unit. This is my first year elk hunting, so I'm not looking to kill a trophy, just hoping to find some elk and get some action! I hunted mule deer hard the last 2 weeks in 191, so I'm feeling in pretty good shape (embarrassingly I missed 2 bucks), so I'm not opposed to putting in some miles. I was hunting pretty far west in 191 and never saw a single sign of elk (did see a giant Moose), so as of last week they weren't that far down yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hey I am new to going out west and was reading your post myself and another friend drew the 2nd rifle mule deer tag in unit 191 and 19 and didn't know if you had some advice for us good or bad since you were there last year

OP
M

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
Hey I am new to going out west and was reading your post myself and another friend drew the 2nd rifle mule deer tag in unit 191 and 19 and didn't know if you had some advice for us good or bad since you were there last year
Are you from out of town? PM I'll give you some info.