Unit 3 CO 4th season

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
Got a tag and was wondering if anybody has any experience there. I have some ideas on where to go. Just looking for any tips from people who are familiar with the late season in the unit.
PM me with any tips or help
Thanks

Wags

WKR
I'll be there 3rd season, I've hunted it several times, just not 4th season. I'm heading back to do some work around my place (it's in the 3) and do some shooting and looking about. I can PM you when we get back.

Really good chance for lots of snow. The deer are often really close to private homes and ranches. If it’s icy cold and windy, peek into each ravine and low spot you can find. They often duck into those to get out of the wind.

Wags

WKR
Really good chance for lots of snow. The deer are often really close to private homes and ranches. If it’s icy cold and windy, peek into each ravine and low spot you can find. They often duck into those to get out of the wind.

I own some property in the 3 and was there last week. It was hands down the most deer we've seen in the spring in a LONG time. Plenty of water and greenery as far as you can see. It's definitely been a good spring there. Hopefully the rain showers keep up and keep the feed in place.

OP
Brush Buster

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
Hopefully that moisture translates into some antler growth!

OP
Brush Buster

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody been up there yet? Just wondering how antler growth is looking in NW Colorado this year.

firemtn

FNG
Got a tag and was wondering if anybody has any experience there. I have some ideas on where to go. Just looking for any tips from people who are familiar with the late season in the unit.
PM me with any tips or help
Thanks
How did your hunt end up going? I drew 4th season deer for this season. Really excited to get out there, will be my first Colorado hunt.

How did your hunt end up going? I drew 4th season deer for this season. Really excited to get out there, will be my first Colorado hunt.
I had the 3rd season tag. Deer everywhere, most not bigger than a forkenhorn. Never seen so many hunters in my life. Idiots were shooting every which direction, next to people's camps, and out of truck windows without putting the truck in park.

firemtn

FNG
I had the 3rd season tag. Deer everywhere, most not bigger than a forkenhorn. Never seen so many hunters in my life. Idiots were shooting every which direction, next to people's camps, and out of truck windows without putting the truck in park.
Sheesh, sounds scary. Does not sound appealing what so ever, but I guess all I can do is hope for a better experience!

Wags

WKR

That’s a very accurate description of what I’ve experienced during that season in that area.

I hunted it 3rd season a couple years back and it’s a war zone the first day or 2. We saw a ton of bucks and some pretty decent ones, I’d go back just fully aware of how the first few days are.

firemtn

FNG
Sounds like 3rd season is consistently a frenzy out there. Hoping things are a little more calm during 4th. I'd assume with there not being as many elk in there as deer, that should keep the craziness tamed down with the elk hunters? I believe theres only about 60 deer tags and 550 elk tags in 4th season.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like 3rd season is consistently a frenzy out there. Hoping things are a little more calm during 4th. I'd assume with there not being as many elk in there as deer, that should keep the craziness tamed down with the elk hunters? I believe theres only about 60 deer tags and 550 elk tags in 4th season.
You’ll have 650 elk hunters in 3/301. Then there is 700 cow tags that are good for 3,4,5 and 301. So they will be spread out a little.
Even then, it’s nothing like the cluster F@*^ of 1100 deer hunters and OTC elk during 3rd season.

OP
Brush Buster

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
Seemed like the rut was totally over when I was there in 4th. Many more elk hunters than deer hunters. Saw lots of deer but mostly does with forkies. Ended up shooting a small 4pt. He was the biggest we found. Talking to others the 3rd season guys had better opportunities at bigger bucks last year

firemtn

FNG
Seemed like the rut was totally over when I was there in 4th. Many more elk hunters than deer hunters. Saw lots of deer but mostly does with forkies. Ended up shooting a small 4pt. He was the biggest we found. Talking to others the 3rd season guys had better opportunities at bigger bucks last year
I also heard from someone who hunted last season that the rut was basically over in 4th season. I guess thats a new learning lesson, I never thought that late November the rut could possibly shut down but it sounds like that can be very possible. Hopefully this year will be a little different, but I guess we will see!