Unknown Munitions for the 270 WSM

I’ve found ES and SD to change with seating depth changes. I usually chrono all the way through until I find the perfect load, this can take 10rd for each though and probably isn’t a practical way to do this for having someone else develop for you.

I've also found ES to change with seating depth. I asked either above in this thread or on the other Unknown Munitions reloading thread if Jake had seen that and he said if they were solidly in the node that they had seen very little change.

Interested to see what UM decides here. I don't think I would be happy with any of those if this was 100 yard seating depth test.

Unknown Munitions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
0e1c8a838f0a90b632f709983842233e.jpg

OK I’m all set up. I’ll try to post as I shoot here if the service holds up.

For everybody just tuning in, we’re shooting from our tallest, which will be closest to the lands, to our shortest which will be the furthest. Jake has them marked as 2.220 to 2.100. You can see the difference in height in the picture
841b2e083b7d3bc175393ff5f45475a4.jpg

To note, I checked and my tallest load Is not coming into contact with lands.

From the bench I have my notepad open and I mark the shots as I shoot them so that I can accurately note them on the actual target. Like this
b30fb295d6a3e1d5b94590443f1b3ecc.jpg

Here is 2.220
6252f12adcccaaf056ccb5d579655900.jpg

Here is 2.200
490b978bd484212aea380556f6553414.jpg

Here is 2.180
5170ea1da8c86a034a650b62821ea329.jpg

Here is 2.160
36b0f5f817a245d4ec86ba39bc97eebc.jpg

Here is 2.140
391ed7eaa46ceb0d99aee0a9ea7d5f53.jpg

Here is 2.120
f464b0729a5b4358b09757d7a001ddfa.jpg

Here is 2.100
e146a2d1daee50fffdd0f35cfd37cf6e.jpg

OK that’s a wrap. If you’re on here the whole time I was uploading that, might have to hit refresh to see all seven groups.

My take away is that this first three shots were all pretty good, it was usually four and five that spread the group out.

Can’t wait to hear what Jake says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Robby, can you please repost the pictures with both 3 shot and 5 shot group measurements? I loaded out .060" further than the dummy round you sent expecting that would be enough to hit the lands.

Unknown Munitions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've also found ES to change with seating depth. I asked either above in this thread or on the other Unknown Munitions reloading thread if Jake had seen that and he said if they were solidly in the node that they had seen very little change.

Interested to see what UM decides here. I don't think I would be happy with any of those if this was 100 yard seating depth test.
@robby denning , can you please state all of your rifle specs and components, your shooting setup for this test, how many rounds down the barrel before the start of this test, your experience thus far with the ammunition and testing protocol, and previous accuracy you've seen from your rifle during it's barrel life until now, and your goals when we started this development process?

To provide all parameters for clarity, we didn't measure this rifle, nor test different powders and bullets. This load development started with a provided dummy round, powder set at RL26, and Berger 140 Classic Hunter bullet specified by the customer.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@robby denning , can you please state all of your rifle specs and components, your shooting setup for this test, how many rounds down the barrel before the start of this test, your experience thus far with the ammunition and testing protocol, and previous accuracy you've seen from your rifle during it's barrel life until now, and your goals when we started this development process?

To provide all parameters for clarity, we didn't measure this rifle, nor test different powders and bullets. This load development started with a provided dummy round, powder set at RL26, and Berger 140 Classic Hunter bullet specified by the customer.
sure,

Christensen Arms Summit Ti in 270 WSM (owned since 2015)
rebarreled in 2018 from 26" to 24". New barrel less than 100 rounds estimated before starting this test
Was shooting Nosler brass but wanted to support @Ryan Avery , so trying the Bertram Brass
Was shooting Federal 215 primers behind Berger Classic Hunter 140

Always shot close to MOA, even to a tested 622 yards; this was with the previous 26" barrel:
1589213314246.png

Here is the factory group after the new 24" barrel:
CA factory spec.jpg

and here is one of my groups after the rebarrel (had a few over MOA, too but who takes pics of those?)
Robby group 2018 24 inch barrel.jpg

My experience with this process has been great--learning a lot how ES/SD/COAL affects performance. Loved the graphs and how they visually showed what we're looking for in a load

Goal: Match or beat previous accuracy AND not have to labor at the reloading bench like I have for 30 years. Much happier laboring over the shooting bench! And to develop the confidence to hunt to my last hash mark of 690 yards (which I tested previously to this new ammo and hit MOA or close to.)

I'll get you those 3-shot specs in a minute...

Last edited:

Unknown Munitions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
sure,

Christensen Arms Summit Ti in 270 WSM (owned since 2015)
rebarreled in 2018 from 26" to 24". New barrel less than 100 rounds estimated before starting this test
Was shooting Nosler brass but wanted to support @Ryan Avery , so trying the Bertram Brass
Was shooting Federal 215 primers behind Berger Classic Hunter 140

Always shot close to MOA, even to a tested 622 yards; this was with the previous 26" barrel:
View attachment 180283

Here is the factory group after the new 24" barrel:
View attachment 180288

and here is one of my groups after the rebarrel (had a few over MOA, too but who takes pics of those?)
View attachment 180298

My experience with this process has been great--learning a lot how ES/SD/COAL affects performance. Loved the graphs and how they visually showed what we're looking for in a load

Goal: Match or beat previous accuracy AND not have to labor at the reloading bench like I have for 30 years. Much happier laboring over the shooting bench! And to develop the confidence to hunt to my last hash mark of 690 yards (which I tested previously to this new ammo and hit MOA or close to.)

I'll get you those 3-shot specs in a minute...
Thanks Robby and sorry for the delay, I agree with 2.190" as a seating depth. With the fire formed brass, we may see a slight shift in velocity and POI so I recommend to zero once you receive the reloaded ammunition back. Please ship the brass back to me and we'll get it turned around for you, take care!

Thanks Robby and sorry for the delay, I agree with 2.190" as a seating depth. With the fire formed brass, we may see a slight shift in velocity and POI so I recommend to zero once you receive the reloaded ammunition back. Please ship the brass back to me and we'll get it turned around for you, take care!

I'd be interested in your reasoning for settling on 2.190" to see if it was the same as mine. My thought was 2.190" is on the long side of what looked like a pretty wide node (at least for first 3 shots). Being towards the long side of the node it will hopefully stay in tune longer as the throat erodes. It also keeps the bullet out of the powder space a bit more.

Im also interested in why 2.190? Seems 2.200 and 2.180 have much more vertical spread than 2.140-2.120 while still being about the same size groups.

How about for the sake of testing maybe loading say 10 rounds at 2.130 and see what those groups look like vs the 2.190?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

All noted. I’ll get that brass coming back. And then I’ll plan on a final re-zero, and then I’m gonna start testing these hashmarks out to 690. Thanks!!!

Mark86

Lil-Rokslider
not the cool kid choice like Berger, Matrix, etc but the 129 gr Barnes Long Range X has been a deer/elk/bear killing machine out of my 270 give them a whirl

Epi610

FNG
Hey man. I really want to stay at 140 or less for a couple reasons.
1) I only hunt deer.

2) And I don’t like muzzle breaks.

3) no plans to shoot beyond my bottom has mark, which is about 690 yards.

So the 130s and 140 Bergers that I shot out of the gun had decent recoil, plenty of killing power for big bucks.

And I’m not sure that my twist rate is fast enough for those big 170s. I think I have a box of them here that I’ve never used.
For some reason I had trouble with 140’s in a couple 270WSM, but not the case w 130’s 🤷‍♂️

not the cool kid choice like Berger, Matrix, etc but the 129 gr Barnes Long Range X has been a deer/elk/bear killing machine out of my 270 give them a whirl
The 270WSMs that I’ve had experience with (four different rifles) all like the Barnes in 130 grain as well. Fantastic penetration, nice bullet expansion without coming apart and quick kills

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
For some reason I had trouble with 140’s in a couple 270WSM, but not the case w 130’s

The 270WSMs that I’ve had experience with (four different rifles) all like the Barnes in 130 grain as well. Fantastic penetration, nice bullet expansion without coming apart and quick kills

Yeah, the first two years I hunted with the caliber I shot 130s, and they did just fine.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
All noted. I’ll get that brass coming back. And then I’ll plan on a final re-zero, and then I’m gonna start testing these hashmarks out to 690. Thanks!!!

Just letting everybody know that I’ve had the ammunition back for more than a few weeks, but I’ve been in the hills a lot so haven’t made the time to shoot. But I will get out and update this thread at some point.