Upgraded Tikkas

slick

WKR
Recently upgraded Tikka: Manners, Hells Canyon Armory barrel, Yo Dave trigger spring. First time posting a pic, hopefully it works!

2oeGBL4.jpg

What caliber? Nice stick

ahcraig87

FNG
Slick- Thanks! it's a 6.5 hipster

eamyrick- No it didn't require any fitting. However, I live about 2 minutes from Manners so I took it in to double check it was going to fit properly and they bedded it for free. They were great to work with.

FURMAN

WKR
If you want to actually get what you are paying for with any $600 stock it needs to be bedded period.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
I have had three B&C stocks, on two of them the aluminum bedding block was far from straight/flat, they also will have of side/side movement. Any good gunsmith will tell you they all need to be bedded.

I have a Greyboe Terrain stock and have no complaints, they come with pillars and I had it glass bedded.

I looked hard at all the factory rifles out there trying to figure out a lighter weight solution for backpack hunting - mostly Coues, mule deer and elk. The Tikka floated to the top when considering the magnum calibers for weight, consistent accuracy, and cost.

Bought a Tikka T3 Superlite in 7mm RM before they changed them up to the T3X. Mounted a Leupold VX3 4.5-14 in Talley lightweight rings and the combination came in at 7.5 pounds.

First time to the range blew me away with the rifle shooting 154 and 162 grain SST loads that I worked up for my old Remington 700 7mm into under 1/2 MOA for 5-shot strings.

I was very impressed. Particularly since the Tikka is over a pound lighter than the Remington out of the gate. The felt recoil was significantly more than that Remington though so I added a Limb Saver pad. Recoil was still pretty snappy. I decided to add a muzzle break but did not want to add 2 inches to the overall length so I had my gunsmith cut off 2” of barrel, recrown and thread for an in-line break.

Group sizes are still running 1/2 MOA and much nicer to shoot at the bench. Lost a little velocity - around 80-100 FPS with those loads but still running over 2,900 FPS with the 162’s. The overall length with a 24” barrel is much nicer to handle than other rifles with 26” barrels.

Gave the rifle a rattle can camo job that cost about $3 in paint and can be touched up as necessary. Haven’t figured out how to post pictures here.
IMG_0958.jpg

Last edited: