Upland Vest: Q5 rimfire vs centerfire?

ptwysocki

FNG
Apologies for doubling up, but I’m in a pickle with which vest to go with. I do mostly all pheasant hunting (2 bird limit) but sometimes carry 3-4. Do mostly half day hunts but never go back to truck once I leave...and I’m interested in doing more full day jaunts. Weather is around 20-50. Frame is 6’2” 200 lbs...

as with most things, nothing is perfect. But for 300 I want to choose right. If the rimfire had a bladder pouch I’d be sold. Just not sure if I need the two huge side pockets that poke out. I also think the inch smaller game bag on the rimfire would still be sufficient? I guess the centerfire seems like it might just be too much space and width.

do any of you that hunt with it find the width an issue?

anyone try both vests and have some takeaways they’d like to share?

So I have been doing research since the end of last season when I blew my old vest out after 15 years of solo hunting and guide hunting and am about to pull the trigger on a Final Rise vest. I suggest you take a look at them if you have not already. Hand made in America and look like a great fitting vest. Plus the guy that makes them seems like a legit real person that I would let shoot birds over my dog. From what I have researched I would put this vest in the top category with the bigger brands and common vest like orvis, Q5, Centerfire, filson and others.

OP
P

ptwysocki

FNG
thanks Jagger...i have looked in depth at the final rise vest. All be told I haven't reached out, but it seemed like they had a large back order...not sure if i would get the vest by opening season.

Assuming I would, yes it looks like an amazing vest. I just have a hesitation on buying anything that is version 1.0 so to speak. I like to give it some time to get any kinks etc worked out...though from what i've followed it seems that he has done that within his group of hunters.

I think what he's doing it great, and I sincerely commend him from literally piecing these together from his kitchen. But i just think having a system that is fully hashed out from a quality standpoint has some value...especially at $300.. Everyone wants hand-stitched...but personally ill take a machine stitched product all day long. Stronger and more consistent.

j_volt

WKR
I hunt pheasants ~25 days a year and the majority of that is done on public land in the struggle state of Missouri (I also hunted public land in Iowa, Kansas, and SD last year). I don't have much to say on either of the above options, but I bought the Alps Upland Vest last year and absolutely love it. I push through all sorts of thorns and it help up great. I added the optional water bladder and it has been great. I like carrying water for the dogs, and those squeezable 32 ounce Gatorade bottles fit perfectly in the pockets. Alps Upland Vest
Just my 2 cents! Good luck in your decision.

taybou

FNG
A little late to the game, but in case you're still looking. I purchased a Q5 centerfire last year and have been really happy with it. I've mostly used it chukar hunting so far, where lots of storage for an all day hunt is pretty much mandatory. It's super adjustable, so it took a bit to figure out the right balance of weight on the hips vs shoulders, but it'll conform to just about whatever you want.

My main gripe so far is the shell pouches on the waist band are in such a position and have some abbrasive fabric where if I'm not wearing fleece or another smooth fabric, I'll sometimes get some rubbing, especially walking flat ground. Going up and down I'm find and my hands are out of the way, but I find a little bit of an annoying when covering country.

With regards to width, if you're busting through thick stuff, you'll get hung up a fair bit, and may find it a frustrating experience vs a vest. I find if I'm going to be out for more than 3 hours, I'm taking the centerfire, but less than that, and I'll probably just grab a regular vest.

Dan R

FNG
A little late to the game, but in case you're still looking. I purchased a Q5 centerfire last year and have been really happy with it. I've mostly used it chukar hunting so far, where lots of storage for an all day hunt is pretty much mandatory. It's super adjustable, so it took a bit to figure out the right balance of weight on the hips vs shoulders, but it'll conform to just about whatever you want.

My main gripe so far is the shell pouches on the waist band are in such a position and have some abbrasive fabric where if I'm not wearing fleece or another smooth fabric, I'll sometimes get some rubbing, especially walking flat ground. Going up and down I'm find and my hands are out of the way, but I find a little bit of an annoying when covering country.

With regards to width, if you're busting through thick stuff, you'll get hung up a fair bit, and may find it a frustrating experience vs a vest. I find if I'm going to be out for more than 3 hours, I'm taking the centerfire, but less than that, and I'll probably just grab a regular vest.

Dan R

FNG
I have the rimfire. Choose it over the centerfire due to width. When I need extra water I attach a badder sleeve to the back of the yoke.

cmankingsley

Lil-Rokslider
I have the rimfire. Choose it over the centerfire due to width. When I need extra water I attach a badder sleeve to the back of the yoke.

How do you attach the bladder? I have been trying to figure out a way to carry a bladder with my rimfire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk