Upright manual defrost freezer - a thing of the past?

I am on the hunt for an upright freezer with manual defrost. It seems that every upright freezer made now is frost free, which I would like to avoid. In searching craigslist, FB marketplace, etc., it also seems like there are no used uprights with manual defrost to be found. Am I by chance missing a current production model that is upright, manual defrost, and large capacity, or am I strictly limited to the used market?

Stalker69

WKR
I have un up right manual defrost now, but when I replace it, it will be with a frost free one. Why do you want the manual defrost models ? It’s a pain in the ass once a year to get the ice out of this thing.

OP
S
I have un up right manual defrost now, but when I replace it, it will be with a frost free one. Why do you want the manual defrost models ? It’s a pain in the ass once a year to get the ice out of this thing.
Well, you can't believe everything you read on the internet. However, there is a strong contingent of people who insist that frost freeze constantly fluctuates in temp and does not remain in deep freeze. As such, plenty of people swear that frost free does not have the sort of meat longevity that manual defrost does. Is there anything to it? I'm not sure. However, if I'm investing this kind of money in sourcing my meat through hunts, I would rather err on the side of caution and go manual. I want my frozen meat as cold as I can get it. I may just go with a chest freezer, though I'm sure it will be a pain in the ass vs. an upright.

Ucsdryder

WKR
No frost free for me. Everything I’ve ever read says the temperature fluctuations cause freezer burn. I want my meat to stay as cold as possible.

OP
S
No frost free for me. Everything I’ve ever read says the temperature fluctuations cause freezer burn. I want my meat to stay as cold as possible.
Roger that. After spending thousands of dollars to fill said freezer, there’s no way I’m taking a chance on freezer burn. I want all of my meat to stay looking like this:
370AE985-0ECD-4059-93A9-4EA4D5A11423.jpeg

mt100gr.

WKR
I have 2 upright Frigidaire manual defrost freezers. One is from the last few years. ...they make Ice on the racks like it's their job!! Both are full now but once I can consolidate into one, I'll defrost the other then move into it, and defrost the first. Get meat! Repeat! I had a single for a while - defrosting isn't bad. I'd make it part of my late summer pre-season routine. Unplug and open it up when it's warm outside and it sheds ice pretty fast. Meat stores are usually pretty low by then so it can all fit in a couple coolers for an hour or so. I had a chest freezer before and organization is so much better with the uprights.

Stalker69

WKR
I would have to think you could by pass the defrost switch, and make it inoperable. And I have a chest freezer also, and you are correct. It’s a pain in the ass keeping it organized.

wapitibob

WKR
Kenmore manual defrost, probably 20 years old. Frost free will freezer burn.

Toss contents into a few coolers, wheel freezer outside when it's 90 deg. Wheel back in a few hours later and fill it back up.

Agross

WKR
I got one a few years ago from Sears. Got the biggest one they had and love it. Mine is a kenmore. If you don't have a wife and kids that "might not of shut the door all the way", you really don't have to defrost that often. I however have the wife and kids I just mentioned, and defrosted it last weekend. Pretty easy. It was in the 20's here last weekend so just threw everything in the garage. Otherwise just throw the stuff in coolers.

Brendan

WKR
Temperature fluctuations and freezer burn with frost free freezers are a thing of the past and old freezers. I run a 24x7 temp monitor and alarm, and my frost free doesn't get warmer than -2F and that's with occasional door opening. Low temps of -30F. My manual defrost chest freezer that almost never gets opened maintains the same low, a high of -12F.

35055fd55ee37792e8cd002eb511e544.jpg

OP
S
Temperature fluctuations and freezer burn with frost free freezers are a thing of the past and old freezers. I run a 24x7 temp monitor and alarm, and my frost free doesn't get warmer than -2F and that's with occasional door opening. Low temps of -30F. My manual defrost chest freezer that almost never gets opened maintains the same low, a high of -12F.

35055fd55ee37792e8cd002eb511e544.jpg
Hhhhhhhmmmmm. This is relevant to my interests. What model Frigidaire? Are you pretty happy with it overall?

Brendan

WKR
Hhhhhhhmmmmm. This is relevant to my interests. What model Frigidaire? Are you pretty happy with it overall?

So far so good. Although, it's new to me this year. Replaced an older/smaller frost free that I had for 12 years (No freezer burn or defrosting issues with that either). Really like that I found it for $300 and sold my old one for $250!

I like that I can add/remove the drawers if I want, and add in another shelf if needed.

79841609e17338326fe667ff0dcb8b73.jpg

peterk123

WKR
I use an upright frost free. Never an issue. My meat easily lasts a year, although I do try to use it sooner. I never get freezer burn; and I DO NOT vacuum seal. I wrap my meat first in seran wrap, then heavy duty freezer paper. I think the key is to have well wrapped food.

I agree with @Brendan, I do not believe this is an issue anymore. I think the heat coils defrost the freezer coils quickly enough so you frozen items are not impacted.

ShakeDown

WKR
A few weeks back we ate the last roast from a 2017 bull from my frost free whirlpool. Ate just fine with no more trimming than usual, not sure how much more time you may need?

I believe the packing/storage process is the important step in most modern frost free deep freezers.

OP
S
While we're on the subject, any recommendations for upright freezer size? At most, I might have an elk along with some deer and hog remnants - so not multiple elk. Is 21 CU FT wasted space?

Stalker69

WKR
Following this, I didn’t even know this was a thing. I have a manual defrost upright and chest and have had meat wrapped in saran wrap and butcher paper in there for four years and don’t have freezer burn. So I guess I will hope these last a very long time, although the upright is like 15 years old now I would guess, maybe a bit older.

Stalker69

WKR
While we're on the subject, any recommendations for upright freezer size? At most, I might have an elk along with some deer and hog remnants - so not multiple elk. Is 21 CU FT wasted space?
I say get the biggest one you can. We did and find we still have it full to the brim most the time.

Brendan

WKR
I like having the big one. I have my 21 CF plus a 5CF chest freezer. Chest freezer is full, I have space for a doe in the upright, that's after a small bull Elk, an Antelope, and a big whitetail plus some canada goose breasts and normal household stuff (Pork, Chicken, Lamb, occasionally some beef). They fill up fast.