Using a Muzzle Brake vs not for Magnums

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
Let me preface by saying that I am in the market for a new rifle. I like the versatility of 300 Win Mag and will probably go with that. I understand that the shoot-ability for a rifle would drastically improve for a .300 win mag with a muzzle brake, but I have never owned a rifle with a muzzle brake except in an AR platform. I just do not know if it is worth the extreme noise...

A lot of synthetic stock hunting rifles are going to the muzzle brake and I was just wondering if the kick relief is worth the noise trouble?

Any feedback is welcome.

bsnedeker

WKR
This topic has actually be covered quite extensively in the forum fairly recently. Lots of guys love their muzzle breaks.

For me personally I don't want the excess noise. I have a tikka t3x light so it is not a heavy platform obviously and has a lot of recoil. I use a recoil shield from Caldwell when I'm shooting my 300WM at the range. It makes it very comfortable to shoot for me. I also have a limbsaver recoil pad on the gun itself.

I've killed a few critters with it in the year that I've owned it and I have not felt the recoil one bit in the moment, so the range is the only place you need a pad.

nobody

WKR
Let me preface by saying that I am in the market for a new rifle. I like the versatility of 300 Win Mag and will probably go with that. I understand that the shoot-ability for a rifle would drastically improve for a .300 win mag with a muzzle brake, but I have never owned a rifle with a muzzle brake except in an AR platform. I just do not know if it is worth the extreme noise...

A lot of synthetic stock hunting rifles are going to the muzzle brake and I was just wondering if the kick relief is worth the noise trouble?

Any feedback is welcome.
Most recoil can be controlled with a properly shaped and fitted stock. For example, the worst recoiling rifle I've ever shot was a 1967 Remington 700 in .270 Winchester. It kicked like a mule, it hurt, and I dreaded pulling the trigger. The recoil pad was garbage and the stock didn't fit me properly. Contrast that with my 7mm rem mag, and I can shoot it prone without a brake with no issue.

If you get a stock that fits you perfectly and has a stock shape and weight that directs and absorbs recoil properly, you won't ever feel like you need a brake. Don't go buy a Tikka T3X Lite in 300 Win Mag and expect it to feel like a butterfly kiss. A good example of proper weight/shape to recoil ratio is a Weatherby. They (IMO) have some of the lowest felt recoil relative to the cartridge most of them are chambered in, and it all has to do with the heft and shape of the stock. I'm not anti-brake, per se, but I definitely value my hearing and the hearing of those I hunt with.

B23

WKR
When I was younger, late teens to late 20's, the only centerfire rifle I owned was a Weatherby Accumark 300Wby and I used that for coyotes to elk and everything in between. It did not have a muzzle brake and I wasn't interested in one. That was then. Fast forward 25 years and a lot more gray hairs, what I don't shoot suppressed has a muzzle brake on it.

It's funny the older I get the less I like loud but even though muzzle brakes make things louder, for me, they also make me shoot better so I'm good with the extra noise. I also always wear hearing protection when shooting non suppressed guns too.

Worth it 100% if you want to be the best shooter you can be. If you only care to hunt then it’s a toss up. You can always take it off when you go hunting and may not have readily available ear pro. Best of both worlds.

I like brakes, yes they’re louder than without but the reduced recoil and its benefits outweigh the added noise for me. Quicker recovery back on target, being able to spot your hits(or missed), and increased comfort in the magnums are worth the expense of adding a brake. My 300 wears one.

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for a Weatherby if you want an off the shelf reasonable weight rifle that controls recoil well. I had a Vanguard Wilderness that was incredibly accurate, a near perfect weight, and the recoil was negligible. A great value rifle which I would absolutely purchase again.

RE Brake: I get it if you are a bench shooter or a sniper or something, but not otherwise. I had one on a .300 RSAUM I posted about earlier and it was so loud that people would not hunt with me. Recoil was cut in half, at least, seemingly. I barely felt the recoil, but the sound made it damn near unbearable for me, anyone at the range, or anyone that hunted with me. I always wear 2 forms of hearing protection at the range, and that thing could almost defeat both.

OP
Kountry Biscuit

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for a Weatherby if you want an off the shelf reasonable weight rifle that controls recoil well. I had a Vanguard Wilderness that was incredibly accurate, a near perfect weight, and the recoil was negligible. A great value rifle which I would absolutely purchase again.

RE Brake: I get it if you are a bench shooter or a sniper or something, but not otherwise. I had one on a .300 RSAUM I posted about earlier and it was so loud that people would not hunt with me. Recoil was cut in half, at least, seemingly. I barely felt the recoil, but the sound made it damn near unbearable for me, anyone at the range, or anyone that hunted with me. I always wear 2 forms of hearing protection at the range, and that thing could almost defeat both.
Your bottom paragraph is what I fear mainly... At the range it is just unbearable being next to along with hunting partners.

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
I'm no expert, and I am clearly jaded, so grain of salt. But, I just would rather shoot a gun I can enjoy than one which I need a brake to shoot ... and I ultimately hate. My experience only, though, as a lot of guys like them, as a few have mentioned here.

BluMtn

WKR
I will be in the minority. I don't hunt with brakes, nor do I hunt with anybody that uses a brake (Did that once and never again). Been shooting guns for 55 yrs. My current elk rifle is a Winchester 70 in 300 RUM. Current deer rifle is a Winchester 70 in 270 WSM. Have a pile of smaller caliber guns for everything else. I have shot a lot of high power guns in my life time and never felt the need for a bandaid on my guns. For awhile I though it was fun shooting coyotes with the 300, but I will admit after 40 or 50 rounds in a day your shoulder starts to get sore. If I was shooting a 50 BMG I can see the need for a brake, but I have not won the lottery yet so no 50 in my future. As far as needing a brake to see your hits that has never been a problem for me. As with everything I write it is strictly my opinion, so you can take it for what you payed for it.

WKR
I went with suppressors. Had brakes for a few years, rang my bell on a fast shot once on a hunt with no hearing protection. Now we just kill stuff with little rifles that are suppressed.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Weatherby Vanguard RC 300 WM, and adding a muzzle brake really helped manage the recoil.

Since the recoil is better managed with the brake, I feel like I can get on target much better for a follow up shot, if needed.

PB123

FNG
This topic has actually be covered quite extensively in the forum fairly recently. Lots of guys love their muzzle breaks.

For me personally I don't want the excess noise. I have a tikka t3x light so it is not a heavy platform obviously and has a lot of recoil. I use a recoil shield from Caldwell when I'm shooting my 300WM at the range. It makes it very comfortable to shoot for me. I also have a limbsaver recoil pad on the gun itself.

I've killed a few critters with it in the year that I've owned it and I have not felt the recoil one bit in the moment, so the range is the only place you need a pad.
I also have a Tikka T3 in Ultra light in .300 Win Mag. Shooting Sako rounds at the range isn’t too bad, but put hornady on there and burn 20 rounds and I want to call it a day.
When fired at a live animal you don’t even notice any kick.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I also have a Tikka T3 in Ultra light in .300 Win Mag. Shooting Sako rounds at the range isn’t too bad, but put hornady on there and burn 20 rounds and I want to call it a day.
When fired at a live animal you don’t even notice any kick.
I agree regarding on the ELD-X 200 gr ammo. I can shoot about 5-10 rounds no issue. After about 20-30 rounds, you feel it a little.

.300 Weatherby in a Weatherby Vanguard Backcountry...…. took it out of the factory belle and Carlson stock and put it in a MDT LSS XL gen 2...… groups are def. tighter for me with 180 gr accubonds, just got a direction brake put on it and a more aggressive boltknob, going to move up to the 200 gr ELDX however I have probably about 5 different types of rounds for it all in 180 gr.... just what I can get in this crisis... Will see soon how the brake works with it

Snyd

WKR
Another option is Mag-Na-Port. I have a Kimber MT 325wsm. Light, thin barrel, 200gr at 2950fps that light whippy barrel jumped like crazy and the torque was pretty harsh as well. Mag-Na-Port cured the muzzle flip. Amazing difference. No more harsh barrel whip and torque. I can shoot off a rest and the muzzle rise is minimal. Mag-Na-Port has been at this a long time. It works as described. It's not marketed as a recoil reducer per se but it does reduce it some. I also had my 4" 454 Redawk done. Same excellent results.

mpr1.jpg

Flyjunky

WKR
I'll give a big thumbs up for the brakes sold here in the Rokslide store. I got one for my 300wm, to replace the radial factory brake, and it is fantastic. Best brake I've ever had.

I use a brake because I can spend more time at the range comfortably shooting and it allows me to keep on target better in case I need a follow up shot when out hunting....both make me a better hunter and shooter. I wear hearing protection so the noise doesn't bother me.

I also don't understand the comments about guys not wanting to hunt with you because you have a brake on your gun. Why are you hunting so close together? Why are they right next to you, are they spotting for you? Why don't they just cover their ears? I guess I just don't understand the situation where this comment comes into play.

I'll give a big thumbs up for the brakes sold here in the Rokslide store. I got one for my 300wm, to replace the radial factory brake, and it is fantastic. Best brake I've ever had.

I use a brake because I can spend more time at the range comfortably shooting and it allows me to keep on target better in case I need a follow up shot when out hunting....both make me a better hunter and shooter. I wear hearing protection so the noise doesn't bother me.

I also don't understand the comments about guys not wanting to hunt with you because you have a brake on your gun. Why are you hunting so close together? Why are they right next to you, are they spotting for you? Why don't they just cover their ears? I guess I just don't understand the situation where this comment comes into play.
For imaginary situations where the animal jumps up and they only have a “split second” to crack a shot off.

The other situation is that they’re “too manly” for hearing protection because “only pansies wear it” and “only pansies have trouble with recoil”.

Same thing that drives people who never shoot more than a couple times a year(and never more than 100 yards) to buy a massive magnum “just in case on the last hour of the last day of the hunt an animal is 800 yards cross canyon I want to be able to kill it”

Last edited:
Another option is Mag-Na-Port. I have a Kimber MT 325wsm. Light, thin barrel, 200gr at 2950fps that light whippy barrel jumped like crazy and the torque was pretty harsh as well. Mag-Na-Port cured the muzzle flip. Amazing difference. No more harsh barrel whip and torque. I can shoot off a rest and the muzzle rise is minimal. Mag-Na-Port has been at this a long time. It works as described. It's not marketed as a recoil reducer per se but it does reduce it some. I also had my 4" 454 Redawk done. Same excellent results.

mpr1.jpg
You said you used it on your Redhawk.... interesting, I hav a 2.5 inch super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull, wonder if they can mess with that system

Snyd

WKR
You said you used it on your Redhawk.... interesting, I hav a 2.5 inch super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull, wonder if they can mess with that system
I'd give them a call. They'll let you know for sure what types of ports they can do on that gun. I put a 454 Casull Super Redhawk cylinder in my 4" 45 Colt Redhawk. It really tamed the muzzle flip/torque on this gun. This one has 4 trapezoidal slots. Some guns they do 2 or ovals. Just depends on the gun.

P6260115.jpg