Using Ballistic Truing in Applied Ballistics

caesAR15

Lil-Rokslider
I've been subscribed to your channel for a long time @THLR -- it's a nice to surprise to see you here on Rokslide.

I really enjoy your video style.

OP
THLR

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, glad you like it!
Yeah, this seems to be a sensible forum to be on if your into mountain hunting.
Living in Norway, it's kinda difficult to understand what's what when it comes to gear/brands as most of it isn't stocked here. It gets expensive fast buying wrong stuff.

Question for you @THLR , I am familiar with how altitude, humidity etc effect my ballistics. But I have now been more fortunate to be able to afford some hunting trips I did not do in the past. Which were massive deltas from my normal Canadian hunting. So because of that I bought myself a Kestrel with the Hornady 4DOF. Now being I was trained more old school I am having trouble accepting the help from one of these ballistic calculators and the "Truing" concept it has on the 4DOF. So much so I have owned it for 6 months now and have not even tested it hahaha. Either way I swore on my next shooting session I would take it out and play with it.

That being said, when you have trued it at your normal shooting location, altitude, humidity, temperature etc. Are you re truing it when you arrive at a hunt? My understanding the kestrel is capable of taking into account the changes in conditions. I realize you always make sure your zero is good for travel bumping your scope off. But I mean are you trusting the kestrel to make the right adjustments.

OP
THLR

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
No. Your understanding of the Kestrel is correct, or at least the same as mine. True it once. I am oldschool myself and leave the ballistic calculators as soon as I've extracted the data I need.

That being said, the results I had with Hornady ELD M bullets + Hornady 4 DOF calculators were excellent to the degree were no "ballistic truing" was required. With the AB program, I've ALWAYS needed truing.

Here's shooting on data from the Hornady 4 DOF calculator with ELD M bullets. This is "raw data" straight off the program ( no truing), I just saw the weather trend and printed relevant data the night before.

Also Hornady 4 DOF data results

And this is how I extract the data from ballistic calculators to go "oldschool"

Last edited: