Using non insulated boots

How late into elk season are y’all running non insulated boots? I’m new to elk hunting and i don’t know if I need insulated or non. I’m planning on going to Colorado at the end of September or into October. Depends on work schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phaseolus

WKR
Not many seasons open at the end of September...

It’s hard to predict weather here, I rarely use insulated boots. I do have many boot choices for use in different weather and seasons. Best choice is to have both if you are coming from afar.

OP
B
What I mean is either archery or first rifle. And I’m trying to buy just one boot right now because of the money I have already spent on gear.

OP
B
Do y’all always pack two pairs of boots?

OP
B
I was thinking of getting something around 400 gr. I would think I could wear at the end of September.

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I wear non-insulated boots with merino wool socks down to 20 degree temps with no problems at all. Just keep your core and legs warm when it's cold. Don't wear anything on your body anywhere that is tight and cuts off circulation. Make sure your boots have Gore-tex and are waterPROOF to stay dry.

I have some insulated boots, but I don't wear them unless it's super cold and I'm going to be sitting in a blind or something.

Mbirn277

FNG
I’ve got a spinal injury I have to deal with and I’ve found just about the only thing I can hike in are either Belleville minimils or these flat footed Sorrels I picked up a couples years ago. I don’t hike in the Sorrels until there’s 7” of snow. Otherwise, it’s liner socks, thick wool, and minimils. I hate hiking in the sorrels because of how wet my feet get from sweat, but it’s a necessity for cold weather and snow.

Mosby

WKR
If you are planning on hiking in miles, I wouldn't get anything more than a 200 gr Thinsulate boot. I have a pair of Lowa's and they are my primary rifle season boot.
I only use 400 gr thinsulate or more when I am not hiking in very far or the temp is in the single digits.

Good socks are important. I try to use boot socks that are least 70% merino wool. They will help to extend the comfort level of any boot.

Mosby

WKR
Do y’all always pack two pairs of boots?

When I am traveling long distances, I almost always have 2 pair of boots in my truck especially if they are calling for storms or cold weather. A critical piece of equipment. I can borrow, make do or buy something local for a lot of things but boots aren't one of them.

If space is limited and it is supposed to be warm, I might bring my hunting boots and wear trail runners traveling. I could hunt in warm weather with my trail runners if I had too.

Several years ago, I had a pair of hunting boots delaminate and had the sole separate from the boot. There was no fixing them. My hunt would have been over if I didn't have another pair of boots in my truck.

Last edited: