Utah Elk Hunt

OP
cody21peterson
So I tried setting up the tree stand and gave up. It was a lot harder than I anticipated. Checked my cameras and only 1 small 4 point bull. One spot had tons of moo cows. Will that push elk out of the area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
What kind of stand did you get? Shouldn't be that hard unless you try climbing the tree while you're carrying the stand up as well. Moo cows can and will force elk out of a spot, sheep can too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
Get up high with a good spotting scope this week. Still time to glass one up and pattern it before Saturday. They should start shedding this week.

Depending on the tree stand can be difficult for one person to put up. Is it a ladder stand or other type? A lot of heavier ladder stands that use 3 ladder sections take 2 people to stand them up. I would just go with the top two sections and is much easier for one person and would probably be high enough anyway. Also a little less weight to move.

OP
cody21peterson
It was a hang on stand I think big game tree stands with the individual screw in pegs. I have one more camera to check. Hoping there are some bulls on it. It’s tough because from what I understand the bulls move when the velvet comes off. They might not be in a spot now but they might show up in a few weeks?

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you're on water, they'll show up in the first couple of weeks. They have to water every day

OP
cody21peterson
5 trail cams and only 1 small bull. I did hear a bugle last night. Probably a spike getting some practice. I likely won’t sit in a tree or blind but I will stay near water for sure. Hunt starts on Saturday! Good luck to everyone

It was a hang on stand I think big game tree stands with the individual screw in pegs.

They can be a little tricky to hang cause you often end up using one hand to hold on with and the other trying to work with. If you can tie the stand just above where you want to attach with a rope or cord just to take some of the weight off of it while you are working to attach it. If you have a safety belt or harness (and you should with that type of stand) conned it well to the tree also so you can work hands free with attaching the stand.

OP
cody21peterson
Opening weekend was unsuccessful. I hunted near mt timpanogas. Only saw 5 cows and 1 spike. Sitting water can get very boring. Can’t wait for the rut to kick in.

sneaky

"DADDY"
By the time the rut really kicks in your season will be over. You live towards that end of the unit?

OP
cody21peterson
By the time the rut really kicks in your season will be over. You live towards that end of the unit?

Yeah I wish Utah archery would go longer. I live in South Jordan so mainly focusing on the western half of the wasatch

OP
cody21peterson
No close calls yet. I have this Friday to next Friday to hunt. I’ve only seen 5 bulls, closest was 200 yards. I was gonna try to be picky before the hunt but no more. I’m not passing any shot opportunity.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good luck Cody hopefully it'll cool off a bunch for you and the elk action will ramp up

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
cody21peterson
Thank you! It’s been tough. I’ve never really done any overnight trips solo hunting until this year. It’s pretty dang hard. Especially leaving a wife and 3 kids. I’m constantly battling myself to stay out there. When it’s boring during the middle of the day I keep asking myself “why am I doing this?”

OP
cody21peterson
Thanks for the support guys. If anyone has this tag, I will be hunting around strawberry the last 7 days. If someone wants to team up I am down for sure.

I can give you a couple areas to check out that we’re good in the past. I hunted the same tag six years ago, and 15 years ago so not exactly current info.

Send me a private message and I can give you the info.

OP
cody21peterson
How long would you guys stay in an area on a 7 day hunt if you are not seeing elk? Or do you just stick it out in one spot the whole week and wait for something to come in eventually?

twall13

WKR
Are you seeing fresh elk sign? If there is fresh sign the elk are there, you just aren't seeing them. If you aren't seeing fresh sign, move.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk