Vanes for me

So I got a fletching jig for Christmas and I order easton axis 300 match grade with the 50 gr hit inserts. (looking for 500 gr arrows with decent foc )..
The 1 shop told me they use 3" aae stealth vane and the other shop told me aae 4" vanes. Does it matter? Is 1 better?
I shoot a 67# bow with a 29 1/2 draw and 28 1/2 arrows.
1st time fletcher here looking for help

Thank you
Eric

Zac

WKR
Depends on what degree you run the vanes and what head you intend to use. Larger surface area fixed blades will take higher profile vanes. That is why 2 inch Blazers with a 3 degree helical will work for almost any scenario. You can get away with lower profile vanes if you fletch really steep angles. Or you can use a 4 fletch with a 1 degree offset. If you like to nock tune the 4 fletch is a good idea. Jon Dudley uses this configuration. I would tell most beginners to use 3 Bohning Blazers or 3 AAE Pro Hunters at a 3 degree R hand helical. This will stabilize any commercial head on the market.

Best I’ve found to work with fixed blades is a 4 fletch in a 2 degree helical. I like Q2i Fusions in the 2.1” or 2.75”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best I’ve found to work with fixed blades is a 4 fletch in a 2 degree helical. I like Q2i Fusions in the 2.1” or 2.75”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Codyk315

FNG
AAE makes good vanes. Vanetec is another one that is good, and those are what I shoot. However, I am really considering switching to AAE because they are stiffer and would be quieter. I run a 4 fletch setup so I run shorter vanes and like the low profile for wind drift.

OP
Fridaythe13th
Thank you for the replies.
I should add I shoot 125 iron will broadheads. And it's a bohning right wing clamp but not sure the degree

MT257

WKR
If you chose to go with the AAE vanes use the primer pen or they won’t stick to your arrow shaft

Thank you for the replies.
I should add I shoot 125 iron will broadheads. And it's a bohning right wing clamp but not sure the degree

It doesn’t take much to steer them, personally I’ve found them to be the most forgiving fixed heads along with the 2 blade VPA. I shot them out of an un tuned bow to see what they’d do and they flew like mechanicals right with field points. When I put on ST magnums and a few bigger heads they were a few inches off at 20. I run 4 vanetec Swift 2.8 right offset and with a tuned bow I haven’t found a head it won’t steer

Trial153

WKR
To answer your question. Either would work just fine. Personally I would go with the max stealth, they have no trouble stabilizing fixed blade heads in three flech configuration.

To answer your question. Either would work just fine. Personally I would go with the max stealth, they have no trouble stabilizing fixed blade heads in three flech configuration.

I was headed the Max Stealth route as well, but settled on the Hybrids instead to save a little bit of weight. They seem to be basically the same thing and do not require the primer pen.

260 spine Axis makes it difficult to keep the total weight low and FOC up. I'm around 8-9% FOC and just over 500 gr total weight with standard HIT inserts and a 100gr broadhead.

rekkr870

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Skip the HIT inserts and get some adjustable ones from Ethics Archery. I also would look at some shield cut feathers over the vanes. You'll gain quite a bit of FOC and they're quieter.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You're about halfway to the arrow that I shoot. FMJ, 50gr brass HIT. I wrapped them and use AAE Max Stealths and they were a dream to get dialed in. If your bow is well tuned and maintained, a 3 fletch 2" vane that's 1/2 inch high is sufficient to steer all but the largest fixed blades at hunting distances. 3" or 4" isn't likely to produce a profound impact on accuracy. I personally wouldn't take the weight penalty of the 4 inch vanes nor do I see a need with my setup to run a 4 fletch. It shoots fantastic with the stealths in a 3 fletch.

9092SD

FNG
For shorter distance hunts from blinds and tree stand I'd recommend a 3 fletch with a 3 degree helical. Longer Western style hunting 4 fletch with 1 degree offset.

Just my opinion of course.

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
I've tried a few different options - Started with 3 fletch blazers and a hard right helical, switched to vantecs, then fusions, then to flex fletch SK-300s, and finally back to Blazers. They may not be the latest and greatest, but they stick well without any prep, fly lights out with whatever broadhead I shoot, and are cheap and easy to find. I really tried to talk myself out of them, but it's hard to argue with simplicity and results.

Pramo

WKR
I run both AAE 3 fletch max stealth and 4 Fletch AAE pro max, if I had to choose one I'd go with the 4 fletch pro max for better clearance and broadhead control.

Beendare

WKR
Some of those vanes won't hold without priming and/or cleaning- a critical step.

FYI, I've run the gamut of different Vanes and feathers, blazers, Flex Fletch 360's, 4"- etc.

And I've tested the Blazers at a 2 deg offset vs Helical- I couldn't see any difference in groups at 60 yds.

MY TAKE;
The reason you are getting answers all over the map...is because ALL of these fletches work. Yep, all good.

As a general rule, the larger fletch and feathers stabilize a little quicker....but its non factor if you BH tune or bare shaft tune your bow ( this is a MUST DO if you plan to hunt with BH's)

The large fletch and feathers ...say 4" vs smaller Blazers will lose a little more trajectory at longer distances.
_________

Key to these Axis is to use the thick epoxy provided with the longer inserts [their inserts are excellent] and follow instructions. Then be sure to mill the ends on some sort of jig....I use a home made jig thats square with 320 sandpaper. The ends of these right off the saw look like a spiky buzz cut through a microscope and don't create a perfect shaft to BH fit.

Pramo

WKR
Thank you for all the replays. How important is a primer pen with the AAE vanes.

If you choose AAE you really need to do the wipes, the primer pen and max bond glue for them to stick constantly, this adds costs and is a bit of a pain but they will stick for life. The reason it's worth it me is I'm a traveling bowhunter so if my fletchings are pressed flat in a case for a day or two the AAE vanes always bounce right back and don't have a memory like some of the other vanes.