Vest... If you could only have one

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to up my vest game. Currently have a Kryptek, but it isnt cutting it. I mainly still hunt whitetails in Indiana, but occasionally been going to CO for elk hunts. Most elk hunts are 1-4 rifle seasons. I was looking into a stratus vest for wind blockage, but see the jetstream has wind blockage as well. Then see the Aerolite has primoloft and packability. I run the stratus bibs and jacket when whitetail hunting. Elk hunting, I just strip up and down! LOL.. any advice. Thanks.

I don't use either of those vests you mentioned. But, in relation to vests, I layer a fleece vest underneath a synthetic-fill puffy vest.

Tick

WKR
I prefer the Aerolite over the Jetstream. Works well when active. Stand sitting in cold weather I'd look for something warmer.

If you want wind proof: Under Armour Ridge Reaper Infil with Gore Windstopper. I have several vests from Kuiu to Kryptek, and this is my go to. It’s not much of an insulation piece, I wear it over insulating layer to stop wind.

If I only had one, it would be a down vest. I have a late 1990s vintage north face nutpse and an OR midweight down vest. Both are great warmth for their weight and they don’t add bulk to my arms.

as far as a wind blocker vest, the jet steam and stratus are fine options but for the same weight you can get a super light synthetic vest like a thin puffy (Patagonia nanopuff) that will be warmer than a fleece vest and will block wind.

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
Kryptek has/had many different vests. I have one of their cadog vests with the high pile fleece lining and soft shell face fabric. It's very wind proof. Not overly bulky and quite comfortable. Not very suited for anything above freezing for me unless it's just that and a base layer going up hill.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the Sitka lineup the Jetstream is going to block wind a little better than the Aerolite; but the Aerolite does a good job of blocking wind. That the Aerolite is warmer and weighs roughly half the weight of the Jetstream, if I was going to have only one- it's the Aerolite/

Light. Packs small. Warm. Even wet.

I really like Primaloft, and the cut of Filson vests is perfect for my 5-10/170# self with or without layers.

wytx

WKR
Wool for me, KOM or a Filson.
I look for good used on Ebay, have bought a couple of like new- 1 KOM and 1 Filson.
Quiet compared to some synthetics.
Drawbacks, doesn't block wind or shed rain but keeps me warm when wet. Wear it under wind blocking layer if needed, or rain gear.

Wool for me, KOM or a Filson.
I look for good used on Ebay, have bought a couple of like new- 1 KOM and 1 Filson.
Quiet compared to some synthetics.
Drawbacks, doesn't block wind or shed rain but keeps me warm when wet. Wear it under wind blocking layer if needed, or rain gear.
I LOVE my wool Filson.

As someone who has a dedicated vest rack, my current go to is my Swazi. My one and only gripe with it it it’s a little longer then I prefer. It hangs just over the top of my pants pockets. Full disclosure, I’m 5’8 and 190 lbs. I got one for my BIL who is 6’ and 190 lbs and his fits perfect. Can’t beat the overall performance of windproof, warmth, durability and quiet. It’s not the dead lightest out there, but I’d rather trade a small weight penalty for quiet durability.

I’ve had issues with the zippers on my Sitka Filson and Kuiu.
I’m not a huge fan of down, but I’ve got an older Eddie Bauer that will absolutely roast you alive.
I find the shell of the synthetic fill vests to be too shiny and noisy.

Jetstream vest in a solid is good to wear around the town if you're a casual vest guy.. But if you're already wearing the stratus while whitetail hunting and wanting to layer under that I would get something that insulates, I have the SG grumman vest and that fits the bill for me.

ricejar

FNG
I don’t wear vests as and outer layer, but I will throw on my Patagonia nano puff for an insulation layer when it’s real cold and that makes a pretty big difference when not active.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
With those Colorado rifle hunts I would narrow it down to what’s available in orange.