Volunteers Needed to Hunt Bison on the Grand Canyon's North Rim

What the hell I'm in for another sufferfest I tagged a cow a few years ago out there and it was a brutal pack out by myself. Just trying to get a quarter off by yourself even for cow is an absolute nightmare. I was stupid I should have shot one when it was under a tree where I had the chance to use a block. I am absolutely in for it.

ODB

WKR
This event is a great micro-example of what is happening on the larger hunting scene; how social media increases demand for what is ultimately a finite resource.

Blackcow

WKR
This has been worked on for years, and this is what they came up with. You can google Grand Canyon bison and read about it. If the NPS had had their way, you’d never even know. They would have waited for the north rim to close in late fall, and just culled what they wanted to. Make no mistake, this isn’t a hunt. It’s a cull. You’re applying to do a job in exchange for some meat instead of a per animal or per hour wage the govt shooter would get. And it took years to get it to be this way. My guess is it will be mostly cows and yearling bulls, you won’t get the head, and the meat you get will probably be an average of the amount that is recovered at the end of the cull

I inquired about field dressing specifics since the pack out is specifically on foot only. My interpretation of their reply is that proof of sex is not required since one NPS will be dictating which animal the "volunteer" is "harvesting"

Here are my questions and NPS answers via email. Just passing this along to anyone interested in this unique opportunity to hunt on the Kings land.Screenshot_20210430-204349_Email.jpg

Zzyzx

FNG
Count me out.

The way I read it, the entire team of 12 (or 25) volunteers (that week) can only share a MAXIMUM of 1 bison. The documents say that AZ GFD will get all the carcasses, then the “volunteer team” will share UP TO ONE carcass.

Carry unlimited bison all week long and then take home only 4% of the usable meat from 1 carcass? And they used your gun, copper ammo, lodging, food, fuel, and vacation time…

Sounds like your worst hunting buddy invited you on a trophy hunt and asked to use your gun and truck. Then, sent you home with only what you picked off the carcass after he was done…