Vomiting at altitude

Jethro

WKR
I don't understand. Are you suggesting we hike out and in 2 hours each way every day? And then drive down the mountain to sleep at lower elevation? That seems unreasonable to me.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Don’t have to do it every day. 1st and/or 2nd day. That would be great way to acclimate. Hunt high, sleep low best medicine for AMS.

Or schedule more days for the trip and allow for acclimate time at the front end. Or lose a day of hunting. The hunt should not be more important than your partners well-being.

We are hunting mule deer above timberline. Lower really is not an option.

Sure, but can you park the truck and walk in, maybe less than 2 hours? I'm not saying spend the day lower, I'm saying spend the night lower.

ChrisAU

WKR
Get close to you destination a day early and stay a night at 7k-8k. That is what everyone is saying. We always spend a night in a hotel at 7k after driving 24 hours straight then the next day hike in to our camp at 11k and no one has ever had a single problem.

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
Get close to you destination a day early and stay a night at 7k-8k. That is what everyone is saying. We always spend a night in a hotel at 7k after driving 24 hours straight then the next day hike in to our camp at 11k and no one has ever had a single problem.
I think this is the best plan for him based on the areas we hunt. I also highly prefer getting a great night's sleep after driving 14+ hours before a big pack in.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Okay OP needs a John Madden early 2000s explanation…

You see. You drive up a day early now, see. And then you spend the night at altitude, okay. When you wake up that next morning take your time and get acclimated with a nice breakfast and hanging out near the truck, you see. And then BOOM, take a nice short hike somewhere and catch a mid day nap like Brett Favre in the playoffs. That late afternoon/evening go ahead and make your way up the next level of elevation, don’t try to take on too much elevation gain. Take those meds and drink extra water, maybe even cook a Turducken for dinner and get a good nights rest!

Grant K

FNG
Zofran isn't doing anything for the actual cause through...you're still dealing with all the actual problems of AMS, you just aren't puking... walking in and out a couple of hours a day should be just fine for the first couple days, light packs and reasonable fitness and I would consider that easier than a heavy backpack first day at elevation, and you will feel better day after day instead of worse... if you can't wait to pack in then ask a doctor for acetazolamide (diamox) it should shorten the acclimation process by a couple days at least...

Poser

WKR
I understand nobody want to sacrifice days spent hunting, but adding 2-3 extra days to your trip where you hang out at a mid elevation eating food, drinking water, sleeping in and taking naps will allow your entire experience to be immensely More enjoyable, including not vomiting. 1 day doing this, while better than nothing, doesn’t allow for very much acclimatization. 3 days will make a considerable difference for most people. Understand that true acclimatization requires a couple of weeks for most people.

JeffP_Or

WKR
Is there anything he can do to help prevent it or treat it besides acclimating?
Have him check with his doctor but Diamox might be an option.

I've hiked to 20k [no ROAL involved.....:rolleyes:] with folks who took it starting at about 8-9k and it worked well for them subsiding the headaches and nausea.

Otherwise, even that 1k drop back down might be all it takes; altitude can be funny that way.

S-3 ranch

WKR

Acetazolamide Rx​

+ get your medicinal cannabis card and stop at the dispensary and buy some candy or smoke.
as a charter boat captain we handed out ginger or cheese crackers back in the day , if someone didn’t have a Rx
cannabis is a real cure for both sea sickness & altitude sickness

””natural supplements that may help the body with acclimatization and reduce or eliminate minor AMS annoyances (ginger, tumeric, ginseng, rhodiola and dandelion root to name some), the use of CBD/hemp oil (cannabinoid) has also been shown to be rather effective.Nov 30, 2018””

Last edited:
Reactions: Duh

Hnthrdr

WKR
This sounds like a recipe for disaster. AMS is no joke and can progress to more serious issues. Maybe your buddy should not be hunting alpine basins or you take more time to acclimate. I hiked longs peak a handful of years ago with a SF guy, he developed AMS and it was a hell of a time getting him off the mountain and he is tough as nails, he lived in Denver and was super fit. It can happen to people who have even been to elevations similar before. And there is no “toughing it out” you need to descend if you want to feel better

Take a night to acclimatize at 7k feet or he'll just get sick again and have to go home. If he can't hunt and has to go home then it's pointless to go at all. If an extra night at a lower elevation makes it so you guys can stay the whole week then it's a no brainer. I always do a night at 6k to 7k before going up to 10k to hunt and camp. I live at 350'.

svivian

WKR
I don't understand. Are you suggesting we hike out and in 2 hours each way every day? And then drive down the mountain to sleep at lower elevation? That seems unreasonable to me.

You need a new hunting partner or hunt alone. Seems like the guy is a trooper if he is willing to be that sick and still hunt but I don't think that meets your standards. Either you compromise due to his condition, let him suffer and camp at altitude, or hunt alone.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It may not be the altitude. Every now and then I end up launching as well during elk season. Don't know why, but it happens. Two years ago about a week into hunting we got up and I had my coffee while we were driving to a spot. I get out, throw my pack on, start launching for about a minute with some dry heaving.......wiped my mouth off and then off we went. Another year it happened some morning when I left the tent to pee. I'm standing there peeing and suddenly started launching. Drank my coffee and away we went. My take.......mornings suck.

ColeyG

WKR
I guess I know that altitude is the issue. I'm asking is there anything he can take it to help. We will strongly consider not going up the mountain immediately.

Yes there absolutely is something he can take. TIME, and more of it at lower to intermediate altitudes before sleeping and working hard above 10k. He is getting sick because his body can't carry enough oxygen to meet his basic needs. In time his body will build the red blood cells it needs to carry the additional oxygen, but that "acclimatization" process takes time.

As others have noted, he has experienced mild to moderate Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS) on past trips. Although the progression from AMS to HAPE and/or HACE is very unusual at or near 10k, it is not impossible, especially for individuals that have a more acute response. Everyone is different and every time is different at altitude. That having been said, those that have a more acute response to rapid altitude gain tend to do so each time at altitude, and/or develop a more significant response (get sicker) with increased exposures over time.

Acetazolamide/Diamox is helpful and would be recommended for people like your friend who have regular and reoccurring AMS at moderate altitudes. Diamox makes you breathe more and helps boost the acclimatization process for most, but it is not a substitute for proper acclimatization.

More thoughts and recommendations re: operating at altitude at the link above.

SonnyDay

WKR
If you can’t or don’t want to adjust the trip schedule or location, diamox is your answer.

Mojave

WKR
You need to be careful with water.

You can over saturate and desalinize your body to the point that your brain can not contact your organs.

This can lead to a fatality.

It happens often enough that some hunter dies of it every year, mostly in the desert southwest where a combination of altitude and hydration lead to water toxicity.

Felix40

WKR
Appreciate the few people who suggested options besides acclimation (which is obvious and not what was asked about).