vortex diamondback spotting scope

bielenbm

FNG
Hi everyone, I am looking into getting a spotting scope right now I can only fork out enough money for a diamondback. So my question is, is it worth buying or should I wait and get a viper or razor? I know that if I spend over a 1000 it would be best but I can’t justify that kind of money.

thanks

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Buy a Hawke Endurance ED. Better than a Viper and priced more like a Diamondback. Give us a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss it

Poser

WKR
You should be able to get a used razor for close to the price of a new Diamondback. Several on here lately for $500.

ZackP

WKR
Check out the classifieds or optics pages on FB. Have seen quite a few Vipers going for $300-$375 on there.

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
My first spotter was a diamondback and I wouldn’t go that route. Mediocre glass magnified 60x reveals mediocre glass. I would look into used or talk to doug from CL. I bought my current spotter from them and got a good deal. There’s a lot of good options out there but I would say the diamondback would be on the top of my list.

22lr

WKR
I really like a lot of the Diamondback line, as far as value for the money. But I'm not sure I'd recommend the spotter for anything outside of a range spotter. That said, you find Vipers on sale or refurbished for pretty close to the Diamondback range, I paid something like $500 for my Viper 15-45x65mm on sale. Or, and as a Vortex fan that is physically painful to admit, possibly look at the other options like mentioned by Doug over at CL.

Personally, I run the Viper, and I'm pretty happy with it. But ya, I don't think you will be happy with the Diamondback for serious in the field work where your trying to decide if it's worth the hike to try and get a shot. Now if that isn't what you need them for, IE you just need a range scope, then you should be fine with a Diamondback. But if I had the choice, I'd find a used first gen Razor or try and snag a deal on the Viper. It can be done, will just require more shopping. But I know its a hard call when the budget is limited and you really like the Vortex stuff, you can find some really good deals on the Diamondback line. Plus, the beauty of buying used Vortex, its no risk. If you buy one that has a problem, Vortex will fix it.

Check out the classifieds or optics pages on FB. Have seen quite a few Vipers going for $300-$375 on there.
I would also keep looking for a used one or continue to save. Maybe invest in better binos until you save for a higher end spotter.

You would get better use of your money burning it on a cold day to warm your hands. It's like on Tommy Boy.
I can stamp warranty on the side of the box but all you bought was a guaranteed POS. There was an Athlon Ares on here a few days ago for around $400 I'd check the classifieds