Vortex HD LHT

Bater

WKR
I picked up a 42/mil LHT a couple weeks back and initial erector tests were perfect. Beat on the erector again today. Shot at 200, dialed to erector stop (11.5 mils) and back 5 times, then dialed to 580yds (3.1 mil). Repeated this for 6 or 7 shots at multiple distances and come ups / rtz was perfect every time. Gunna continue to test but pretty impressed so far. As a side note I did the same test with a Zeiss V4 on a heavier kicker (26 Nosler) and it was perfect as well. Same with a couple SWFA’s, though that was completely expected.

OP
prm

prm

WKR
It would be nice if they offered this with a normal hunting duplex or better yet a 4A.

Here is what I want. Based on an SWFA MIL- Quad, but in a 4A-like configuration with the main bars moved in to 4mils (Vice 6). .5 MIL increments actually work pretty well for most ballistics if you want to hold over (I’d just dial), you have plenty of windage reference, and thick bars in close enough to use in low light. No battery, no button, no circuitry, one less thing to fiddle with, and lower cost.

467B8A2B-7105-4386-9349-96696AE2767A.jpeg

49F3225F-E103-41D7-8C84-31C73376B298.jpeg
19.2 ounces without caps, this is the mead version 42mm objective

Turret vid

there is bleeding into the “2” when on high illumination and looking at dark stuff from light, I can’t make it happen looking into the woods or at appropriate brightness, it’s not a red dot, it’s a lit reticle. If it pisses me off on a hunt I’ll sell it that night.

2five7

WKR
View attachment 168696
19.2 ounces without caps, this is the mead version 42mm objective

Turret vid

there is bleeding into the “2” when on high illumination and looking at dark stuff from light, I can’t make it happen looking into the woods or at appropriate brightness, it’s not a red dot, it’s a lit reticle. If it pisses me off on a hunt I’ll sell it that night.
Thanks for the vid, clicks sound very clean. Beautiful rifle also.

Thanks for the vid, clicks sound very clean. Beautiful rifle also.
Thank you!

Im pleasantly surprised with the clicks, not the best I’ve had but certainly not the worst. They are much better than my Zeiss v4 and the locking turret I am very happy about

if also mention I’m impressed optically as well, CA control is very good.

Last edited:

mwf008

Lil-Rokslider
V4 is what I went with after sending my LHT back. I got the newer illuminated version with the 50mm objective. I haven’t had a chance to even take it out the box yet as I’ve been out of town for quite a while. But I suspect the glass will be just as good (if not better) and I hope the quality will be better than the Vortex. I do like the locking elevation turret and the reticle better on the vortex, though.

Having had both I like the lht better, it’s lighter, has a far better turret both in feel and locking ability and I think the glass may edge out the v4 as well.

Unfortunately I already moved my v4 so I can’t put them head to head. Both are good. I liked my Zeiss but the turret caused me too many issues spinning.

Biggest negative to me so far is mushy windage.

bradb

WKR
I only got mine to 500 on steel, to muddy for my 1000 spot. Wouldn't call it a test really. Through it on a light 280ai bore sighted on 100 plate, hit plate first shot, made a couple small zero adjustments, went to 500, small adjustment there. Then ran the plates from 100 to 500 3 times with nice center hits. In like it.
Again far from what I would call a test

anethema

FNG
Just got mine today..no shooting yet. I live in northern Canada and its mucky as **** here right now as the snow melts.

I have the 3-15x50 Mrad with G4i reticle. Absolutely 0 bleed, but then the line is broken so it probably wouldn't. Beautiful bright dot in the center.

Windage turret is a bit mushy for sure, but there are still nice enough distinct clicks. Honestly my main complaint with a capped windage is having the BDC type reticle, since you essentially have to dial windage. The cap is metal not plastic.

I am only really a 500 meter shooter right now. I'm going to set up a 700 meter target on my land and see how I do at some point this summer.

The elevation dial is the best one I've ever felt. Never had a Tangent Theta in my hands or anything, but this one is beautiful. Very solid distinct clicks. The locking is just done by lifting. It is very easy to dial then lock.

The parallax turret feels good/normal. To my eye the ranges match pretty close to the ranges marked on the turret.

This is my first illuminated scope so I don't know if I'd like this interface (push button) or the turn-dial one better I see on other scopes. Auto shut off after 6 hours is nice though as I'm the kind of guy who would def forget it on. The interface is basically keep pushing and it cycles from brightest to dimmest and back again as you keep pushing. If you had to quickly change brightness this would probably not be the best but honestly I can't see that really being necessary but I'll leave that to the more experienced to judge.

The diopeter adjustment is fine. Takes a shit ton of turns, but has a locking ring to lock it once its done. Was easy to do.

I came from a Viper HS 4-16x44. This thing's glass is absolutely beautiful in comparison.

I tried looking at fine details in dim conditions vs the Conquest V4, and the glass to my untrained eye definitely seemed better at the same zoom level. Kind of hard to tell in the store, but it seemed both clearer and brighter to me.

I'll try to remember to post when I'm actually shooting and see how it does.

Reticle lit up at max brightness in a normal indoor brightness room:
Covered end of scope to make it dark to check for bleed: (None detectable)

Here is just a short video of me turning the turrets.
It might take a bit to process.

Finally got mine mounted and out this morning. Shot some round robins working on loads for the new rifle. When I was done I took the favorite load and shot, dialed to max elevation and back down three times. Damn near perfect on the vertical at 100 yards. Too muddy to get farther out. Hoping to try again this week with more of that same load and collect more data. Pretty stiff cross winds by the end of my session, gusty as all get out on the prairie.

c1aca2272551ef47ec0971f529286ed5.jpg
07b84c474561cb81f1c783f3c2c8138c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got mine mounted and out this morning. Shot some round robins working on loads for the new rifle. When I was done I took the favorite load and shot, dialed to max elevation and back down three times. Damn near perfect on the vertical at 100 yards. Too muddy to get farther out. Hoping to try again this week with more of that same load and collect more data. Pretty stiff cross winds by the end of my session, gusty as all get out on the prairie.

c1aca2272551ef47ec0971f529286ed5.jpg
07b84c474561cb81f1c783f3c2c8138c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What chassis is that?

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have a through the scope picture of the reticle when it isn't illuminated?

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
I do recall seeing that one. I wonder if that tiny dot is hard to pick up on a day that's not overcast and cloudy. I am really thinking of getting one of these for my calling rifle. But thin reticles are tough to pick up on midday stands when it's sunny.

Bater

WKR
I do recall seeing that one. I wonder if that tiny dot is hard to pick up on a day that's not overcast and cloudy. I am really thinking of getting one of these for my calling rifle. But thin reticles are tough to pick up on midday stands when it's sunny.
ks - I only have about 250rds on my LHT (42/mil) but can tell you the reticle, at least to my eye, is very easy to see from bright sunny days to drizzle. I much prefer the dot to a floating crosshair like a NF MOAR. I feel it lets me be more precise. Furthermore the mil reticle makes elevation corrections quite easy for those who prefer not to dial. More importantly it tracks (so far) like it’s on rails and rtz has been perfect.

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you, that's the info I was looking for. I had a nightforce shv with the moar reticle, and I didn't like it at all. It seemed like it washed out on those midday stands when there is no shade to sit in.

Bater

WKR
Ran the Razor out to 410 and 665yds again today on steel. Dialed to top and bottom of elevation travel (~11mils) 3 times between each shot. 12 for 12 center steel and then perfectly back to 200yd zero. Setting bear baits Sunday and plan to run it out to 1k busting rocks. Can’t break this thing but I’ll keep trying.